Subject: ASGLMP MONTHLY E-MAIL, vol. 1, no. 5 (May '97) 175 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2172, Ne
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 17:43:48 -0400 (EDT)

ASGLMP MONTHLY E-MAIL, vol. 1, no. 5  (May '97)
175 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2172, New York, N.Y.            10010-7703
TELEPHONE: 212-388-0588; FAX: 212-388-0681; E-MAIL: [email-masked]

The American Society of Gay & Lesbian Meeting Planners

INDEX
A. MPI & ASAE / ASGLMP Welcoming Receptions Planned
B. Poll of Members - Corporate Sponsorship Choices
C. Personal Stories
D. Advisory Board Controversy - “Where Are The DMP’s?!”
E. Dialogue
F. Wanted: CVB to Open N.Y.C. Branch
G. Gossip
H. Send In Your Business Card
I. Philadelphia Freedom: City of Brotherly/Sisterly Love
J. Rolo-Expansion Continues
K. Association Meetings Article Text - April 1997
L. Selected New Members
M. Hall of Shame
N. Industry Notes
O. Chicago Humor (?!)
P. Introduction & History
Q. ASGLMP Application Form
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------
A.  MPI & ASAE / ASGLMP WELCOMING RECEPTIONS PLANNED
Okay, everyone, click your heels together and say, “it’s time to get serious
about ASAE & MPI!”  The game plan is this: possibly Sunday pm, July 27 in
Chicago and Monday pm, August 4 in Baltimore we’ll have our Welcoming
Reception - our new little tradition!  Who can get us hosted?  A hotel suite
for the receptions would be lovely!  :)  Remember: any corporate tie-ins will
be guaranteed publicity; we’re here, we’re queer - we know how to publicize!
 Actually, we have just picked up our new banner - it's lavandar and blue and
BEAUTIFUL - and we need places to hang it!

B. POLL OF MEMBERS - CORPORATE SPONSORSHIP CHOICES
ASGLMP will poll the Advisory Board this week to determine first which categor
ies, and then which companies are preferred for corporate sponsorship.  The
category possibilities include: airlines, banks, car rental agencies,
cellular phone companies, computer companies, copy centers, credit card
companies, delivery services, hotel chains, insurance brokers, long distance
carriers, office suppliers, on-line services, software companies, theater
companies and university’s masters programs.  Any membership comments on
these possible categories is invited.  Once categories have been determined,
specific companies will then be chosen in order of preference, and approached
in the same order.  For example, yes, obviously over-night delivery is a
crucial category for meeting planners; let’s look for corporate sponsorship
in that field.  Okay, who do we wish to sponsor us?  FedEx?  Airborne?
 Purolater?  UPS?  Is it true that UPS is the gay-friendliest of these
companies?  We will have much to discuss!

The Board of Directors have set the first year’s budget at $180,000, half of
which is to be raised through corporate sponsorship and half from revenues
generated by the directory, set for fall release.  Long-term planning is to
add another component to this mix: membership dues.  However, both charter
membership and associated membership should continue on a gratis basis
through 1998.

C.  PERSONAL STORIES
1. Good Comeback: Over the year's I've had many drinks and dinners with
suppliers.  I don't introduce myself as "Hi.  I'm Ron.  I'm gay."  But, I
don't lie, use non-gender pronouns, or use other devices to hide who I am.
 Most of the suppliers I've dealt with have been non-judgmental.
 Occasionally, I've met someone who has had good intentions but would say
something like "Gee, you don't look gay."  I know in my heart they're trying
to be nice but I can never resist saying "Thanks!  You know... you don't look
so heterosexual yourself."  - Ron Olejko, Director, Conferences and Meetings,
American College of Rheumatology, Atlanta, GA

2. Non-sequitur:  On identifying myself as an ASGLMP member to a supplier at
a recent NYC trade show, she responded, “Oh, I’ve read about your group and
I’m very sympathetic.  In fact, I even saw Rent last night!”

Note: do you have a personal story to share?  Zap it over!

D.  ADVISORY BOARD CONTROVERSY - “WHERE ARE THE DMP’S?!”
ASGLMP has received several responses to the announcement of our Advisory
Board that basically say: ‘I think the Advisory Board is made up of too many
of the same types of people - you’ve left out a big chunk of the industry!’
 To rectify this problem, our Board of Directors has discussed the problem,
and decided to formally invite three new members to join the National
Advisory Board: 1) Marc Goldman, President, Damon Brooks Associates; 2) James
R. Daggett, CAE, CMP, President, JRDagget & Associates; and 3) Charlie
Rounds, President, RSVP Travel Productions.  Their responses will be in the
next Monthly E-Mail.  Also, there is an eloquent letter from Marc Goldman in
the “Discussion” Section of this edition.

E.  DIALOGUE
"Jim, et el - Congratulations" on taking the initiative and forming this long
overdue society. It was about time!!! Some of my friends and clients here in
the greater Chicagoland area (and nearby states) had talked about
establishing such an important society... typical for sales-people of
course... we talked too much about it but never got our butts in gear to form
one...  The more I am thrilled that you guys started this one. Three words:
FA - BU - LOUS !!!!  I have been on the road lately and therefore could not
respond to your two newsletters before.  I enjoyed reading them (on the road)
and compliment you and your team on putting this together. (I'll be
forwarding you some interesting tid-bits of information and jokes (is that
allowed?) to publish in future publications...“ - Andre Valk, CMP, Director
of Sales, Hinton & Grusich (Website:  www.hinton-grusich.com).

"All - Recently Titleist pulled ads because of Sports Illustrated's article
about lesbians (at) the Dinah Shore Golf Tourney.  As a planner I order tons
of golf balls, and we usually use Titleist.  I'm (now) going to see what
other brands I can get my grubbies on."  - name withheld by request (Ed.
Note: the writer is a member of our Advisory Board)

“Jim - I received the great news today about our National Advisory Board.
 Thanks for including (our own) Rob Hampton.  You'll be pleased to know that
the Columbus CVB e-mail is up and running again.  Please let your readers
know we are in tune with the computer age!!  I shall look forward to meeting
you in the near future.  Sincerely, Mark Shafer, Columbus, Ohio CVB”

“To The Board of Directors - I am extremely excited to have been selected to
serve on the Advisory Board.  What a great way to serve the G/L community and
to improve the meetings industry at the same time.  I am sure it will be an
educational experience for us all.  Thanks again.  Regards, David Brockman,
American Express/Group Travel Management, Atlanta   PS - I would love to be
listed in the directory.  I will also be sending three contacts for your
Advisory Board press release later in the week.”

“Dear ASGLMP - I enjoy receiving your newsletter and find a certain pride in
being part of an organization that was formed with the interest and
sensitivity of Gays and Lesbians.  After reading the previous editions and
seeing the makeup of the Advisory Board, I really don’t know if I am part of
the group. It appears that membership is made up of planners and
facilities/travel professionals.  Having been in meeting planning for almost
twenty years, I find that this organization make up is not uncommon but there
are many, other professions that should be considered in our membership like,
caterers, florists, rental, entertainment, education, speakers, publicity,
advertising, fundraising and the list can go on and on.  Just think of the,
impact we would have if all areas of meeting planning was encouraged to
participate!”  -  Marc Goldman, President, Damon Brooks Associates

F.  WANTED: CVB TO OPEN N.Y.C. BRANCH
The American Academy of Psychoanalysis, Jim Luce’s gay-friendly employer, has
wonderful, sun-filled office space at 19th and Park in Manhattan.  200 sq.
ft. of private room plus use of 500 sq. ft. conference room & library, and
possible use of mailroom and copier.  Only $1,000 per month to a non-profit
organization (only).  Space fits 1 - 3 staff and is in a recently renovated,
architecturally designed loft safe haven from the mad streets below.  With
soft gray tones, hard wood floors and gray industrial carpeting, the space
makes an incredible statement; see it to believe it!  Call Cindy at
212-475-7980.

G.  GOSSIP
1.  Tasteful event at the Library of the St. Regis in Manhattan recently for
the L.A. Convention Center - what a property!  Advisory Board member Mark
Theis of the LACVB was a no-show, but he covered his bases smoothly...  

2.  Miami hosted a lively fete in the Big Apple as well.  Trendy Tapika was
chosen to host Miami’s bash which featured a live band and saw several ASGLMP
members, as well as our friend and party animal Steve Choate of Meeting
Resorts, Inc.

3. Look for ASGLMP members circulating at the IGLTA show in Philadelphia this
month.  Next year we will have to do a booth!

4.  IT&EM will be in Chicago over the dates of October 6 - 8, 1997 - they
changed it to a Mon-Wed pattern.  In the past few years 'we' have gathered on
the night before the opening of the show... were festive and got to know one
another... THAT will be the case again in 1997: On Sunday October 05, 1997
from 5 pm onwards we invite all 'festive' IT&ME participants to join us at
SIDETRACKS BAR on Halsted near Roscoe.  On Sundays they have Broadway & Movie
tunes and it will be very fun.  Over the last years (we started this 3 years
ago... ) more and more people joined us and it will be a great networking
opportunity for all of us...  Please RSVP c/o ASGLMP so we can get a bar
count!

H.  SEND IN YOUR BUSINESS CARD
In an effort to update our files, which are being overwhelmed by our rapid
growth, it would be helpful to receive your business card.  Please mail it to
our Fifth Avenue address above...  Thanks! - Jeff Tendean, National Co-Chair.

I.  PHILADELPHIA FREEDOM: CITY OF BROTHERLY/SISTERLY LOVE
We can’t believe our eyes:  in a CVB packet from an American destination we
find: 1) CVB-published ‘gay & lesbian travel news,’ 2) an invitation to the
annual Pridefest Celebration, 3) a very good gay guide to the city, 4) a Gray
Lines Tour brochure for gay & lesbian tour packages (!) and 5) a personal
letter detailing upcoming gay & lesbian conferences (IGLTA and the Gay &
Lesbian Parents Coalition International).  PHILADELPHIA IS HAPPENING!  Our
deepest admiration to Vincent Grandinetti, CHSE, Director of Sales to the
Philly CVB and a Charter Member of ASGLMP’s National Advisory Board.
 Congrats!  Meeting Planners - book by calling him at 215/636-4400!

J.  ROLO-EXPANSION CONTINUES
ASGLMP’s expansion plan -- ‘Rolo-Networking’ --  is working!  To bring the
Society to the attention of as many of our peers as possible, without an
adverting budget, we have needed to ‘e-network.’  And ‘e-networking’ we are!
 Thanks to all of you who keep plying us with your contacts!  The press is a
little stunned by our growth...  but hey, you either got it, or you don’t!
 So keep it coming, baby: we need e-mail and snail mail addresses - as well
as phone and fax - of friends in the press (gay & industry), and all aspects
of meeting planning.  Don’t forget title and company as well.  All leads will
receive our next newsletter.  Thanks for being an active participant in the
growth of our vital organization!

K.  ASSOCIATION MEETINGS ARTICLE TEXT - APRIL 1997
ASGLMP’s 6th Article:
Title: Gay and Lesbian Planner Create Association
“Membership in the fledgling American Society of Gay & Lesbian Meeting
Planners (ASGLMP) grew from 24 to 200 in its first eight weeks, reports Jim
Luce, national coordinator for ASGLMP and executive director of the New York
City based American Academy of Psychoanalysis.  Most members are association
planners, others are suppliers.  Luce is encouraged by the positive response.
 The Canadian government circulated information to all its CVBs, and one
Mid-western CVB in the U.S. even volunteered assistance.

The purpose of ASGLMP is to provide a networking forum for gay and lesbian
planners and suppliers.  Toward that end, Luce produces a monthly e-mail
newsletter.  The second goal is to publish a directory of gay-friendly
destinations, set for release this fall.

While Meeting Professionals International (MPI) has an informal gay caucus,
it is "somewhat closeted," says Luce.  "We are very different.  I am putting
my name on the line." Luce says ASGLMP is not competitive with industry
organizations - members belong to other organizations, such as MPI and the
American Society of Association Executives (ASAE).  Rather, he hopes to have
a voice in those groups. "I'm assuming, perhaps arrogantly, that I will be
invited to address different professional organizations about the needs of
gay and lesbian planners," he says. "I would love to hear formally from MPI
and ASAE, and I look forward to building a stronger relationship with them."

Membership is not restricted to lesbians or gays.  For more information,
contact Jim Luce by e-mail at [email-masked].”

Matthew Mueller, ASGLMP V.P. hailing from the Capital Hilton, comments:  “Our
founder sure knows how to win friends and influence people!  It must be a
result of that winning smile seen in the color magazine picture...”

L.  WELCOME NEW MEMBERS
MEMBERS: Jacqueline Harrington, Director, Women Fest; Jeff Larson, Associate
Director of Alumni Services, Illinois State University - Chicago Office; John
Whalen, Jr., Meeting Planner, G.S.A.; Carol Wilke, CMP, Director, Meetings &
Conventions, Dermatology Services, Inc.; Sergio Pereira, Citicorp; Susan
Gibbs, Account Executive, Center Stage Productions; Chaz Papa, Events
Manager, Urban Land Institute; Robert Baskette, Event Planner, Portland
Spirit River Cruise Dining; Carl George, Meeting Planner, Cinephile
Production, Inc.; Pierre Haber, Ph.D., Director, The Psychology Society;
Brent Sauders, Director, Tobacco Control, American Cancer Society; and David
Antman, President, D.A. Productions!

ASSOCIATE MEMBERS: DuWayne Greene, I.M.A.G.E; Doretta Harrell, Princess
Royale Oceanfront Hotel; Stuart Weintraub, Shelborne Beach Resort; Michael
Clarke, Director of Sales and Marketing, Denver Convention Complex; Harvey P.
Davidson, CMP, Assist. Mtgs. & Incent. Travel Officer, Canadian Consulate
General; Lawrence Hanson, Los Angeles Convention and Visitors Bureau; Donna
Jeanette, Corp. Meeting & Incentive Planner, Netherlands Convention Bureau;
Dena Kerren, Meetings & Incentive Travel Officer, Canadian Consulate General;
Sherri Mullery, Sales & Client Services Rep., Bloomington Convention and
Visitors Bureau; Todd D. Nelson, Asst. Dir., Confs. & Special Events, Bryant
College Conference Office; Donald R. Potter, Jr., Sales Manager, Palm Beach
Co. Convention & Visitors Bureau; Troy Smith, Greater Madison Con. & Visitors
Bureau; Diann Feleppa, CBA, President, Balloon Bazaar, Inc.; Chris Rogers,
Principal, Rogers Marketing; Bruce J. Schoenberg, Olson & Schoenberg; Steve
Smith, Key West Business Guild; Tamar Hosansky, Associate Editor, Association
Meetings Magazine; Jeff Abbaticchio, Abbaticchio & Limner Communications; Joe
Goldblatt, CSEA, Professor, George Washington University; Alan Lunin, Esq.,
Attorney, Law Office of Alan Lunin; and Ciritta Park, CAE, C. B. Park &
Associates!

If you have NOT been listed publicly to date and wish to be, “e” us a query -
“what am I, chopped liver?!”   :)

M.  HALL OF SHAME
:O Birmingham, AL - local ABC affiliate refuses to air “Ellen” as she comes
out.
:O Charlotte, N.C. - city fathers cut funding for local production of “Angel’s
 in America.”
:O Titleist Co. - for pulling ads from SI after it reported lesbians on
pro-golf circuit.

Editor's Note: ASGLMP members currently coordinate $52.5 million annually in
convention-related expenditures.  We will not be enthusiastic about
recommending expenditures in areas which disrespect our community.

N.  INDUSTRY NOTES
Crystal Garden Navy Pier in Chicago will host Hinton & Grusich's Annual
Tradeshow where Meeting Planners/Executives/Travel Managers etc. will have
the opportunity to meet with the hospitality executives from the
H&G-hotels/CVBs to discuss their meeting, travel, incentive and convention
needs.  It will be an evening of much fun, food, cocktails and terrific
prizes.  For those planners in the Chicagoland area (or those traveling to
the city at that time) please call ASGLMP member Andre Valk at 800-783-7350.
 It promises to be festive, fun and fabulous!

O.  CHICAGO HUMOR (?!)
Top 10 Things That "Sound Dirty" At The Office, But Aren’t:
10. I need to whip it out by 5!
9.  Mind if I use your laptop?
8.  Put it in my box before you leave!
7.  If I have to lick one more, I'll gag!
6.  I want it on my desk, NOW!
5.  Hmmmmmmmmm... I think it's out of fluid.
4.  My equipment is so old it takes forever to finish.
3.  It's an entry level position.
2.  When do you think you'll be getting off today?
and the number one thing that sounds dirty at the office but isn't:
1. It's not fair... I do all the work while he just sits there.

P.  INTRODUCTION & HISTORY
The purpose of the Society is to increase networking between gay & lesbian
meeting planners, as well as with gay & gay-friendly suppliers to the meeting
planner industry.  It is to identify the gay-friendly as well as the
gay-hostile association, supplier and destination.  The Society serves as a
useful compliment to, but is not in competition with, professional
associations of meeting planners such as ASAE, MPI or PCMA.  (Plans are
underway now for ASGLMP representation at MPI/Baltimore, etc. meetings in the
future - if you have contacts, use them for us!)  The Society recommends that
all meeting planners belong to a professional organization of meeting
planners in addition to ASGLMP.

The National Advisory Board is made up both planners and suppliers.  Meeting
planners from the association arena include those from medical groups (incl.
psychiatry, rheumatology and urology), industry groups (including expo
management, conference centers), and general (including mechanical engineers,
university women, legal administrators, new directors and AIDS leaders).
 Corporate meeting planners include American Express, Lotus, NYCE and Smith
Barney.  On the suppler-side, hotel personnel chosen are from the Hilton to
the El San Juan; airlines include American and United, and CVB’s and
convention centers represent Baltimore and Philadelphia in the East,
Columbus, Detroit and Phoenix in the middle, and Los Angeles, San Francisco
and Portland/OR in the West

ASGLMP was founded by Jim Luce and Jeff Tendean - on an airplane returning
from a Fort Lauderdale FAM trip in 1996.  Realizing the lack of — and
simultaneous need for — such a group, they committed their efforts and
resources, rallied their friends in the industry and formed the organization.
 The Society’s numbers rose during the first quarter from 60 to approximately
250 - due to stories in trade publications such as MeetingNews, Corporate
Meetings & Incentives, Insurance Conference Planner, and Meetings &
Conventions.  ASGLMP was represented at the National Gay & Lesbian Business
Expo at the New York Coliseum.

Q.  ASGLMP APPLICATION FORM
Individual Charter Membership (Meeting Planner)   _____
Individual Charter Associate Membership (Non-Meeting Planner)   _____
(check one)
If meeting planner, how many room/nights do you coordinate annually?  ______
Name:
Title:
Company:
Address:
Telephone:
Fax:
E-Mail:
Do you wish to be listed publicly?
Would you like to be considered for 1998 Advisory Board?
Where did you hear about ASGLMP?
Date: