Subject: ISGLMP Monthly E-Mail vol. 2, no. 6a (June 1, 1998)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 23:49:37 EDT

ISGLMP Monthly E-Mail
vol. 2, no. 6a (June 1, 1998)
                                                                              
175 Fifth Avenue #2172, New York, N.Y. U.S.A. 10010-7703
                                                                              
HAPPY PRIDE MONTH TO OUR MEMBERS AROUND THE WORLD

E-Mail: [email-masked]
Website:  http://<A HREF="http://site105194.primehost.com/">www.ISGLMP.org</A>
(touch to access) 

Int’l Soc. of Gay & Lesbian Meeting Professionals - 537 strong!

INDEX
A. ISGLMP "Part II Growth" Unveiled by Alex Lichtenstein, President
B. Welcome to our New Board  by Jeff Tendean
C. ISGLMP Ready for IAEM in Reno, Nevada by Bob Dallmeyer
D. Upcoming Events
E. Members Dialogue
F. Membership Has Its Benefits by Jim Luce
G. Committees now to Control ISGLMP Webpages
H. From The White House For Pride Month 1998
I.  Bonjour from IGLTA in Montréal  by Lynne Hocking, Australia
J. ISGLMP Friend Needs Help to Ride AIDS Ride
K. Corporate Membership Application
L. Individual Membership Application
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------
A.  ISGLMP "PART II PLAN” UNVEILED by Alex Lichtenstein, Pres.
I would like to formally introduce myself as ISGLMP's new president.  
I am a charter member of ISGLMP and have been a meeting planner for 
over 18 years.  Since 1994, I have worked for the U.S. Comptroller of the 
Currency, which is a bureau of the U.S. Treasury.  As your new president,
I would like to advance the plans that were made by my predecessor,
Jim Luce, for the next phase of ISGLMP growth.  The Board of Directors is 
pleased to announce the beginning of ISGLMP's "Part II Growth."  This 
phase of our growth will create many dynamic changes for our Society 
and is set for implementation beginning July 1, 1998.  The changes 
include:

1)  Strengthened Committees.  Our new structure, including co-chairs for 
all committees with access to individual webpages at www.isglmp.org.  
This will allow for our educational seminars, welcoming receptions, 
membership recruitment, etc., to be far more effective than previously.

2)  Annual Meetings.  ISGLMP's first Annual Meeting has been set to take 
place in Minneapolis, May 1999.  We will be meeting concurrently with 
the International Gay & Lesbian Travel Association (IGLTA) and, hope-
fully, the National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association (NLGJA).

3)  Membership Dues.  The collection of dues, to commence July 1 
(get your checkbooks ready!) will very positively affect our future 
growth as funding will be available to allow for such growth.

4)  Membership Benefits.  Planning continues vis-à-vis what the specific 
benefits our $110 annual membership dues will carry.  These specific 
benefits will be in addition to being a part of the lesbian and gay 
representation of the hospitality industry.  (See story below.)

5)  Welcoming Receptions & Educational Symposia.  We have formally 
identified the PCMA, ASAE, MPI, and IAEM as the "Big Four" of the 
meetings industry in which we wish to network and provide diversity 
training, etc.  Plans are now underway for both receptions and 
educational presentations with these four groups far into the future.
(Our deepest thanks to Bob Dallmeyer, Joan Eisenstodt, Tamar 
Hosansky and Russ Ruston for their hard work in the last year!)

I am sure that you will agree that we have a very busy and exciting year 
ahead of us.  As things unfold, I hope that many of you will be willing 
participants in the organization and with events.  Every organization is 
only as strong as its membership and I believe that all of us would like to 
see ISGLMP among the strongest.  Together we can make that happen.

In conclusion, I would like to personally thank Jim Luce for the outstanding 
job he has done in bringing together this Society.  Without his vision,
leadership, and dedication we could not have come so far in such 
a short period.  Jim has devoted much time and energy to making this 
Society a success — many hours, I am certain, that were at the sacrifice 
of time that could have been spent with his devoted partner and son, 
Matthew.  I am very proud to be able to work with and learn from Jim as 
we move forward and I hope that my participation as president will 
reduce some of the burden that he has borne up until now.  Thank you, 
Jim, for all that you have done and for the opportunity to work with you, 
the members of the Board of Directors, and each member of ISGLMP to 
meet new challenges as they arise, to overcome obstacles that may be 
placed in front of us, and to come together and grow as an entity and 
well-respected professional Society. - Alex Lichtenstein, CMP

B.  WELCOME TO OUR NEW BOARD  by Jeff Tendean
Following the unprecedented unanimous electronic vote by our members,
ISGLMP proudly announces the composition of our second Board of 
Directors and International Advisory Council.  The Board elected consists 
of: President Alex Lichtenstein, CMP (U.S. Treasury, DC );  Vice President 
John D'Alessandro (Past Pres., IGLTA, S.F.);  Secretary Matthew Mueller 
(Capital Hilton, DC);  and Treasurer Michael Gallo (Marriott, NY).  Past 
President Jim Luce (Merrill Lynch, NY) and Legal Counsel Delbridge
Narron, Esq. (Kramer, Levin, NY) are honorary members of the Board.  
Quarterly board meetings will alternate between Washington, D.C. and
New York City.

Chairs to our committees, the backbone of ISGLMP, have been elected 
and each chair shall serve on the International Advisory Council.  These 
newly-elected members include:  Tom Roth (Comm. Marketing, S.F.), for 
Accreditation ("Seal of Approval"); Mike Frederickson (Nat'l Les./Gay
Journalists Assoc.) and Rob Hampton (Columbus CVB) for 
Communications ("Public Relations");  Bob Dallmeyer (consultant, LA)
Joan Eisenstodt (consultant, DC) for Education ("Industry Workshops"); 
Lee Pomerance, CMP (Doubletree Hotels) and Ronald F. Olejko* (Amer.
Coll. of Rheum) for Membership;  Carol McHale, CMP (Law School 
Admissions Council) for Publications ("Newsletter");  Tamar Hosansky* 
(Adams Laux Pub.) and Russ Ruston* (Amer. & Acad. of Orth.) for 
Receptions ("Corporate-Sponsored Receptions");  and, by appointment, 
Roland Zink of Munich’s Contour Travel for the newly formed Travel & 
Transport Committee.  We are still looking to create a Language, a 
Technology and a Trade Show Committee.

Although ISGLMP does not have local chapters, we do recognize local 
representation.  Twelve Local Reps have been approved, including
David McAuley (Atlanta CVB) for Atlanta;  Andre Valk, CMP (Hinton & 
Grusich) for Chicago;  Garrett Schwab (Dallas CVB) for Dallas;  Carol 
Wilke (Med. Group Mgmt. Assoc.) for Denver;  Yücel Nevzat (travel 
consultant) for Ístanbul;  Charles Massey, CMP (Meeting Cand. Network)
for Los Angeles;  Sam Gonzalez (Goldman, Sachs) for New York;  Vince 
Grandinetti, CHSE* (Philadelphia CVB) for Philadelphia;  Lynne Hocking 
(travel consultant) for Sydney;  Barry Birnberg (consultant) for Toronto
and Rick Osmanski (Radio-TV News Dir. Assoc.) for Washington.  Miami, 
Minneapolis, Montréal, and Munich are currently without representation.

Unanimously elected Members-at-Large are:  Jim Daggett, CAE, CMP 
(consultant, Chicago);  Marc Goldman (Damon Brooks, LA);  Travis 
Goodyear (American Air, NY);  Steven Hacker, CAE (Int'l Assoc. Expo. 
Man., Dallas);  Steve Smith (Key West CVB);  Glen Parnell (Helms
Briscoe, Houston);  Donald R. Potter, Jr. (Palm Beach CVB, FL); 
David Reiderman, CAE* (Assoc. for Comp. Mach., NY); and Jerry White 
(International Association of Conference Centers, St. Louis).

As someone who has been here since "Day One," I am amazed at how
"high-powered" we have become.  We congratulate these industry leaders
and wish them the best as they assist guiding ISGLMP into our second
phase of growth!  - Jeff Tendean, Co-Founder

C.  ISGLMP GOES TO IAEM IN RENO, NEVADA by Bob Dallmeyer
IAEM has given us a booth next to registration which will be open 
throughout the convention in Reno, June 9 - 12.  Volunteers are needed to 
help staff the booth; e-mail Jim Luce directly at [email-masked] 
or [email-masked], or contact him on site (Reno Hilton).  

Stay tuned for an invitation to our Welcoming Reception;  plans are still 
being made and a corporate sponsor is being sought.  Any assistance with 
the sponsorship should be addressed to our Receptions Committee 
co-chairs, Tamar Hosansky ([email-masked]) and Russ Ruston 
([email-masked]).

IAEM has listed the ISGLMP luncheon on the Mid-Year Meeting
Registration form, which give us even more visibility.  It is scheduled for 
Wednesday, June 10, from 12:00 pm - 1:15 pm and will be hosted by me.
The theme will pertain to diversity in the workplace, with a specific look at
ISGLMP's Seal of Approval criteria: 1) Outreach to lesbian & gay
community as customers; 2)  Corporate Equal Opportunity Employment 
(EOE) statement specifically 3)  including "sexual orientation;"  
3) Domestic Partnership (DP) health 4)  benefits;  4) Sanctioned and 
supported lesbian & gay employee group; and 5) Significant contributions
to the lesbian & gay community.  Listing us was a wonderful gesture from
IAEM - thanks to John Swinburn and Steve Hacker.  Make sure you mark
 your calendars for this important event!

Bob Dallmeyer, co-chair of the Education Committee with Joan Eisenstodt, 
may be reached at [email-masked].  Joan is at [email-masked].

D. UPCOMING EVENTS

IAEM Summer Mtg.: Reno, June 9 -12, 1998 (see story above)
     ISGLMP-sponsored educational event & trade show booth;
     possible reception
     S.I.G. Luncheon, 6/10, Wed., 12:00 pm - 1:15 pm
     Bob Dallmeyer ([email-masked])
     Joan Eisenstodt ([email-masked])
     Jim Luce ([email-masked]; [email-masked])

MPI Annual Mtg.: San Diego, July 12 - 14, 1998
     ISGLMP-sponsored educational event, reception & 
     trade show booth?
     Dennis Doyle ([email-masked])
     Hunt Drouin ([email-masked])
     Eaton, Mitch ([email-masked])
     Joan Eisenstodt ([email-masked])
     Marc Goldman ([email-masked])
     Brian Hile ([email-masked])
     Jim Luce ([email-masked]; [email-masked])
     Carol McHale ([email-masked])
     Rick Prickett ([email-masked])
     Jeff Wahl ([email-masked])
     Linda Ware ([email-masked])
     Jerry White ([email-masked])

ASAE Annual Mtg.: Nashville, August 16 - 18, 1998
     ISGLMP-sponsored educational event, reception & trade show booth?
     Joan Eisenstodt ([email-masked])
     Brian Hile ([email-masked])

Gay & Lesbian World Travel Expo (6th International):
     New York, September 24, Metropolitan Pavilion
     San Francisco, October 22, Hyatt Embarcadero
     (Contact ISGLMP Member Tom Roth (Travel Alternatives Group) 
     at 415/896-6440 or by email at [email-masked])
     Jim Luce ([email-masked]; [email-masked])

Note: Please let us know if you're going to be at any of these!

E.  MEMBERS DIALOGUE
Note: ISGLMP reserves the right to edit all submissions.

MEMBERS SALUTE PAST PRESIDENT, APPLAUD NEW BOARD
"I sort of felt sad when I learned Jim Luce will hand over the presidency;
it always makes me sad to say good bye, even on the "virtual" basis.  I was 
really hoping to see him again in Ístanbul, so there's a shade of 
disappointment.  I hope he enjoys his new position with Merrill Lynch -
those he will now work with are lucky to experience his presence."
- Bulent Erdogan, Ístanbul, Turkey

"Great to hear from ISGLMP!  What a fabulous job Jim's done and I only 
wish I had made been more active to assist him.  I promise I will make 
certain I do more this year to assist the new president and the other 
committee chairs.  I applaud all the candidates that are willing to accept 
these responsibilities and I support them completely."
My very best,  Garrett Schwab, Dallas CVB, Texas

“Just a note to thank Jim Luce for the good work he provided in the early 
start up days as President of ISGLMP;  it's a credit to him that the organ-
ization is off to such a very sound beginning and we wanted to let him
know all his many efforts were appreciated and to thank him for his work 
as ISGLMP President.  I know he will still be very much involved and 
look forward to seeing him still in the leadership of the group.”
Best personal regards, Phillip Knowlton, California (LectureAgent.com)

"Just when I was getting to know Jim, he becomes "Past" President.  Being 
on the board of a local sailing club, I know too well the stresses and 
strains of getting/keeping such ventures going, but trust he won't be too 
far away from the incoming President.  We don't want to lose all that 
corporate knowledge do we?  We appreciate his efforts.  Of course, if 
any member is ever in Sydney, please do look me up."  
Regards, Jo Terrans, New South Wales, Australia

"I received the latest newsletter about Jim stepping down as President.  
Sorry to hear about that as I know he worked very hard on getting things 
up and running!"  - Dennis Doyle, Detroit CVB ([email-masked]) 

“I vote “Yes” on this great slate and want to thank Jim Luce for every-
thing he has done during his term as president... this organization 
certainly have enriched my life...  What ever happened with the lapel 
pins?  Are they around yet...  I would like to have one before I go to 
HCEA June 6th.  Great big hugs to all!”  - Russ Ruston, Chicago

"I am an ISGLMP charter member and will be in San Diego in July. 
Please let me know if I can do anything to assist with our presence 
at that meeting.  Thanks to Jim Luce for the work he has done.  The 
organization is absolutely a positive addition to the meetings industry.  
Best of luck to our new leadership!"  -  Mitchell Eaton, 
Conv. Sales Mgr., Philadelphia CVB ([email-masked])

MEMBERS VOLUNTEERING FOR MPI IN SAN DIEGO
"If the organization is going to host a booth at MPI San Diego, I would be
happy to volunteer help in manning it"  -  Marc Goldman, Hollywood, CA

F.  ISGLMP MEMBERSHIP HAS ITS BENEFITS by Jim Luce
All of us have been proud in supporting ISGLMP over the last year.  
The  question remains:  what will we get for our $110 dues, due for the 
1998-99 year beginning July 1?  This question is currently still under 
discussion by the newly active Membership Committee, co-chaired by 
Lee Pomerance, CMP (Doubletree Hotels) and Ronald F. Olejko
(American College of Rheumatology) but already we know that each
dues-paying member will receive:

Corporate Membership ($475)
***Complimentary Listing in Website Directory
***Complimentary Seal-of-Approval Processing
***Complimentary Subscription to The Monthly E-Mail
***Complimentary Individual Membership for One Employee
***Complimentary Certificate Suitable for Framing

Individual Membership ($110)
***Complimentary Listing in Website Directory
***Complimentary Subscription to The Monthly E-Mail
***Complimentary Certificate Suitable for Framing
***Complimentary ISGLMP cloisonné pin
***Complimentary Personalized Laminated Membership Card
***Complimentary Admission, Welcoming Receptions & Symposia
***Complimentary and/or Reduced Fee Offers from Suppliers
***Reduced Admission to ISGLMP Annual Meetings

Associate Membership ($55)
***Complimentary Subscription to The Monthly E-Mail

G.  COMMITTEES NOW TO CONTROL ISGLMP WEBPAGES
ISGLMP's acclaimed website is now going to become the domain of each 
individual committee — Accreditation ("Seal of Approval"),  Commun-
ications ("Public Relations"),  Education ("Industry Workshops"), 
Membership,  Publications ("Newsletter"),  Receptions ("Corporate-
Sponsored"),  Travel & Transport,  Technology and the Trade Show 
Committees — with each committee using its own webpage for committee 
publicity and communications.  Envisioned as a component of ISGLMP's 
"Part II Growth," the committee webpages allows committee chairs to 
communicate directly with their members and allow non-members (both 
committee and ISGLMP) to access the site for information and inspiration.  

In addition to the webpage communication benefits, each committee is 
developing an e-mail matrix to communicate and "cc" each and every 
committee member concerning committee business in an attempt to more 
thoroughly involve all committee members in the workings of ISGLMP.

H.  FROM THE WHITE HOUSE FOR PRIDE MONTH 1998
"Warm greetings to everyone taking part in the 1998 Gay and Lesbian 
Pride Celebrations.  As Americans, we can be proud of our diversity. 
Striving together, people of different ethnicities, backgrounds, races, 
beliefs, and sexual orientation have contributed to the success of our 
nation, reflecting the profound truth that this rich diversity is one of our 
greatest strengths.  But we must face the reality that sometimes our 
differences divide us;  sometimes the voices of hatred and prejudice 
drown out the harmony in our national life.  Events like the Pride 
Celebration help us to recognize anew that working in a spirit of 
community is not only a hope but a necessity, and that our individual 
dreams can only be realized by our shared efforts. 

Our ideals and our history hold that the rights guaranteed us as 
Americans are inalienable.  They are embedded in our Constitution and 
amplified over time by our courts and legislature, and I am bound by my 
oath of office and the burden of history to reaffirm them.  Our nation 
stands to lose if we let prejudice and discrimination stifle the hopes or 
deny the potential of a single American.  And we stand to lose when any 
person is denied or forced out of a job because of sexual orientation.  I 
commend each of you for your dedication to working for an America that
celebrates our diversity, builds on our strengths, and fulfills our
fundamental values of mutual respect and compassion.  Working 
together, I am confident that we can enter the 21st century as One 
America.  Best wishes for a wonderful celebration, Bill Clinton, President."

I.  BONJOUR DU IGLTA IN MONTRÉAL  by Lynne Hocking, Australia
The IGLTA — community travel agents — were in Montreal in force last
week for their fifteenth annual convention.  Hundreds (280) of gay and 
lesbian travel professionals from around the world met at the annual 
International Gay & Lesbian Travel Association convention.  Four days of 
networking and sight seeing in the beautiful city of Montreal.  All 
members should be impressed with ISGLMP's stunning booth manned by 
Jim Luce.

As a member of both IGLTA and ISGLMP it is interesting to see how the
two organizations can work together.  The IGLTA takes care of the
travel agents and promotes the concept of gay and lesbian travel in
general;  whereas ISGLMP offers the opportunity to explore doing 
business in the straight world while working with other gay and lesbian 
meeting professionals.  This is a very valuable combination.  

Other dually-aligned members include:  John D'Alessandro (IGLTA), 
Tom Roth (Community Marketing), Steve Smith (Key West), and Mike 
Frederickson (NLGJA), Vince Grandinetti (Philadelphia CVB) and Travis 
Goodyear (American).  This is a very strong combination.

The conference was wonderfully constructed to take advantage of all that 
Montréal has to offer.  It was noted as one of the best conventions in its 
class, and was anchored by a forceful keynote address by Canadian 
Parliament member Svend Robinson.  (We are attempting to contact him, 
but we have the wrong e-mail address...)

Jim Luce spoke to the delegates about ISGLMP and our desire to work
closely with IGLTA in the future.  ISGLMP had a trade show booth there
as well, and recruited many new supplier members.  ISGLMP has been
invited, along with the NLGJA — community journalists — to hold joint
conventions with IGLTA in Minneapolis next May.

Congratulations to the IGLTA, its officers and very-capable support
staff in Fort Lauderdale.  IGLTA has used its first sixteen years very
well and ISGLMP has much to learn from its "big sister."  I am a new kid 
on the block as far as ISGLMP is concerned, however I am a SITE member 
based in Sydney and happy to assist with any information you may 
require in Australia or indeed the Pacific Rim.  Come visit!  
- Lynne Hocking, Jornada Australia  ([email-masked])

J.  ISGLMP FRIEND NEEDS HELP TO RIDE AIDS RIDE
Note: James Hennessey, the host of our PCMA Marriott New Orleans-
sponsored reception in Atlanta last fall, will be riding in this year's AIDS 
Ride out of D.C.  Last year, ISGLMP Vice President Matthew Mueller 
made the ride.  James wrote the following for our last newsletter:

"One person can make a difference, and every person should try." 
When I read this quote from John F. Kennedy, a meaningful and 
powerful message flashed inside my head; do something now, for 
someone, somewhere.

Deciding to join the DC AIDS Ride was easy.  I knew that I could do it, 
and wanted to challenge myself to follow through.  My aunt, a long-
time resident of Washington D.C., and my ultimate mentor, said 
that she was doing the ride again in 1998.  She completed both rides 
in 1996 and 1997.  Seeing what an experience it was for her, and 
hearing about the incredible time she had, I asked if I could ride 
with her this year.  What a great way to get in shape, challenge your 
body, and raise money for an important cause!

Raising the required $1,800 to be included seemed impossible
for me.  I could not imagine anyone who would want to sponsor me
to do a 350-mile bike ride for AIDS.  Was I wrong!  People from all
over the US have sent funds to me, wishing me good luck, and
thanking me for doing  the ride.  This, so far, has been the most
rewarding part of signing  up for the ride.

I am looking forward to the big day, June 18th, when we take off from
Raleigh, N.C. to Washington D.C.  Three days of making a difference
for someone, somewhere.

James may be reached at [email-masked].  Checks 
may be sent to James Hennessey, Rider #153, 374 McGill Place, 
Atlanta, GA 30312.  Jim Luce has contributed $100 for the ride and 
challenges other ISGLMP members to match or beat him!

Our new Treasurer Michael Gallo writes:  James needs your AIDS 
Ride donation ASAP in order to put  on his biker shorts and ride for 
a cure to a disease that is losing national attention due to protease 
inhibitors.  Get out your checkbooks and mail in your donations today."  
(E-mail to: [email-masked].)

K.  CORPORATE MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
Note: Please mail back to ISGLMP, 175 Fifth Avenue #2172, New York, 
N.Y. U.S.A. 10010-7703, with a check for U.S. $475.  Allow two weeks 
for approval and website listing.  Invoice for purposes of billing are
available 
on our website.  Application is free to ISGLMP members through June 1998.

***Complimentary Listing in Website Directory
***Complimentary Seal-of-Approval Processing
***Complimentary Subscription to The Monthly E-Mail
***Complimentary Individual Membership for One Employee
***Complimentary Certificate Suitable for Framing

Company:
Submitting Individual:
Name:
Title:
Address:
Tel.:
Fax:
E-Mail:
Date:

L.  INDIVIDUAL MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
Note: Please mail back to ISGLMP, 175 Fifth Avenue #2172, New York, 
N.Y. U.S.A. 10010-7703, with a check for U.S. $110.  Allow two weeks
 for approval and website listing.  Invoice for purposes of billing are
available 
on our website.  Application is free to ISGLMP members through June 1998.

***Complimentary Listing in Website Directory
***Complimentary Subscription to The Monthly E-Mail
***Complimentary Certificate Suitable for Framing
***Complimentary ISGLMP cloisonné pin
***Complimentary Personalized Laminated Membership Card
***Complimentary Admission, Welcoming Receptions & Symposia
***Complimentary and/or Reduced Fee Offers from Suppliers
***Reduced Admission to ISGLMP Annual Meetings

Name:
Title:
Company:
Address:
Tel.:
Fax:
E-Mail:
Website:
Do you wish to be listed publicly?
Would you like to be considered for 1999-2000 Advisory Board?
Why?
Where did you hear about ISGLMP?
Other professional membership?
If meeting planner, how many room/nights do you coordinate annually?
Date:

Note: Individual Charter Membership, open until June 30, 1998, is gratis. 
Individual Associate Membership, which include a complimentary subscription 
to The Monthly E-Mail, is U.S. $55 and is recommended only for non-U.S. 
members, non-profit organization representatives and students.