Subject: ISGLMP MONTHLY E-MAIL, vol. 2, no. 2a (February 1, 1998)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 21:03:01 EST

ISGLMP MONTHLY E-MAIL, vol. 2, no. 2a (February 1, 1998)
175 Fifth Avenue #2172, New York, N.Y.  U.S.A.  10010-7703
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----
Tel.: 212-388-0588; Fax: 212-388-0681
E-Mail: [email-masked]
Website: http://www.isglmp.org

Int'l Society of Gay & Lesbian Meeting Professionals - 528 strong!

INDEX
A. As ISGLMP Grows, So Must Leadership  by Jim Luce
B. Upcoming Events
C. Nominating Committee Now Choosing Candidates
D. Welcoming Reception Comm. Chairs Announced
E. Bank Account Opens; Gifts Welcome!
F. Members Dialogue
G. ISGLMP Members Invited to SGMP Party  by Rick Freda
H. Report From The Program Comm.  by Bob Dallmeyer 
I. Cayman Islands: "Isle of Shame"
J. News From Down Under  by Jo Terrans in Australia
K. ISGLMP Seal of Approval Application
L. ISGLMP Charter Membership Application Form
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------
A. AS ISGLMP GROWS, SO MUST LEADERSHIP  by Jim Luce
As you know, ISGLMP has taken off like a rocket.  And you don't need 
to be a rocket scientist to realize that we've created enough work for 
ourselves to keep all of Cape Canaveral busy!  That's why we are
continuing to develop a strong Board of Directors as well as active 
committees and local chapters.

We have now promised to have an active presence - both social and
educational - at all major industry events, host an increasingly 
complex web-site composed of membership, gay-friendly corporations
and links to the industry and community, publish a bi-monthly 
electronic newsletter, recruit membership internationally, process and
qualify corporations based on five specific criteria, maintain a 
presence in the industry press and create the same in the gay & lesbian
community press, etc.  That's a lot!

As the Nominating Committee (see story below) begins to scrutinize 
our membership, looking for active leaders to lead us into the future,
our activities will only continue to grow.  Thanks to all of you who are 
helping write this amazing success story - on to the next chapter! - JL

B.  UPCOMING EVENTS
Note: for a complete list of upcoming industry events, please
check our website "Industry" page.  Thanks!

IACVB/Destination Showcase:  Washington, DC, Feb. 26, 1998
ACME:  Washington, DC, Washington, DC, Feb. 26-27, 1998

MPI-PEC/Europe:  Copenhagen, April 19 - 21, 1998
     Lee Pomerance, CMP, Doubletree Hotels National Sales, Chicago
          (LeeP [email-masked])

Gay & Lesbian Bus. & Consumer Expo:  New York, April 25-26, 1998
     Jim Luce, Jeff Tendean & Michael Gallo (Marriott) will be staffing table;
     other volunteers are welcome!  Last year's show was great - join us! 

IGLTA: Montreal, May 15 - 18, 1998 
     Jeff Wahl ([email-masked])

POW WOW: Chicago, May 23 - 27, 1998 
     Jeff Wahl ([email-masked])

IAEM Summer Mtg.: Reno, June, 1998
     ISGLMP-sponsored educational event?

SITE University: Palm Springs, June 17 - 21, 1998 
     Jeff Wahl ([email-masked])

MPI Annual Mtg.: San Diego, July 12 - 14, 1998 
     Jeff Wahl ([email-masked])

NBTA: Orlando, August 2 - 5, 1998 
     Jeff Wahl ([email-masked])

ASAE Annual Mtg.: Nashville, August 16 - 18, 1998

C. NOMINATING COMMITTEE NOW CHOOSING CANDIDATES
The Nominating Committee will announce it's choices for our 1998-99
Board of Directors, including President, Vice-President, Secretary and
Treasurer, twenty-four Advisory Board positions and all committee and 
chapter chairs by April 1, 1998. 

The Nominating Committee, an offshoot of our Board of Directors, has
been charged with creating a slate inclusive of international members
with special emphasis on being receptive to women candidates.  The 
mixture between supplier and planners is expected to be equal.  

"I believe that we will base most of our nominating decisions on the 
records of our members as reflected in the Monthly E-Mail.  We are
more interested in workers than stars, although we realize that 
star-quality is also important to our credibility in the industry,"  states
Jeff Tendean, Co-Coordinator.  Nominees will be queried as to 
acceptance of nominations in May.  Specific requests to serve, or 
recommendations, should be sent to Jeff's attention.  For a complete
look at ISGLMP's committees and chapters, see our website 
(http://www.isglmp.org).  Jim Luce will not serve a second term as 
president, as mandated by ISGLMP's Constitution.

Committees in need of chairs or re-nomination of existing chairs include:
Corporate Directory Committee, Editorial Committee, Membership 
Recruitment Committee, Memorial Committee (Alexander Lichtenstein,
Chair), Outreach Education Committee (Bob Dallmeyer, Chair), Public
Relations Committee (Jeff Wahl, Chair), and Welcoming Reception 
Committee (Russ Ruston, Co-Chair).

Chapters in formation with local contacts include Metro Baltimore, 
Metro New York (Jim Luce), Metro Philadelphia (Vince Grandinetti) 
and Metro Washington (Matt Mueller) in the Northeast; Metro Atlanta, 
Metro Fort Lauderdale, and Metro Miami (Jeff Wahl) in the South; 
Metro Chicago (Andre Valk & Brian Hile), Metro Dallas (Garret 
Schwab) in the Mid-West and South-West and Metro Los Angeles, 
Metro San Diego, and Metro San Diego and San Francisco on the 
West Coast.  Outside the U.S. we have Metro Montréal, Metro 
Toronto (Barry Birnberg), Metro Vancouver in Canada, Metro 
Amsterdam, Metro Berlin, Metro Ístanbul (Nevzat Yücel) and Metro 
Moscow in Europe;  and Metro Hiroshima, Metro Hong Kong, and 
Metro Tokyo in Asia!

Criteria for chapters includes the specification that each chapter in
formation must have at least twenty members registered with ISGLMP
by the end of the chapter's first year.  Ideally, each chapter should strive
to maintain an equal division between meeting planners and suppliers,
as well as between lesbians and gays.  The officers of each ISGLMP
chapter shall include a president, vice-president and secretary.
There shall not be a treasurer, as chapters are not authorized to
collect nor distribute funds.  The president of each chapter shall sit on
the ISGLMP International Advisory Board Steering Committee.

D.  BANK ACCOUNT OPENS; GIFTS WELCOME!
ISGLMP'S bank account will finally be in place this week, following 
New York State incorporation as a not-for-profit organization - and the 
Society will finally be able to accept contributions!  ISGLMP is also in
the process of applying for 501(c)3 status with the Internal Revenue 
Service.

Currently, ISGLMP expenses run about $500 per month, including 
website, e-mail services, equipment usage and telephone lines.  This 
does not include rent, salaries, or airfare/hotel accommodations for 
industry conferences and exhibitions.

The Board of Directors encourages members and friends to contribute,
to share the expenses of our Society - to date all expenses have 
been borne solely by two members.  Upon receipt of our tax-exempt 
status, all contributions to ISGLMP will be tax-deductible to the extent
allowed by law retroactive to incorporation (2/5/98).

E.  WELCOMING RECEPTION COMM. CHAIRS ANNOUNCED
The Board of Directors is delighted to announce the formation of our 
Welcoming Reception Committee, co-chaired by Russ Ruston 
([email-masked]) and, hopefully, Tamar Hosansky.  Russ is 
with the American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians in 
Chicago and Tamar writes for Adams Laux Publications.  

Both have attended previous receptions, including the Regal 
Knickerbocker Hotel's for ASAE in Chicago, the Dutch Tourist Board
& Baltimore Convention Center's for MPI in Baltimore and the New 
Orleans Marriott's for ISGLMP at IAEM in Atlanta.

One of the committee's objectives is to produce cloisonné pins for 
ISGLMP members to be able to spot each other at industry meetings 
in the future.  Word has it that the Columbus CVB is considering
hosting our upcoming ASAE reception.  Future hosting opportunities 
include IGLTA (Montreal, May 15 - 18, 1998), IAEM Summer Mtg. 
(Reno, June, 1998), MPI Annual Mtg. (San Diego, July 12 - 14, 1998), 
and ASAE Annual Mtg. (Nashville, August 16 - 18, 1998).

Please contact Russ ([email-masked]) with cc's to 
[email-masked] regarding any interest.

E.  MEMBERS DIALOGUE
Note: ISGLMP reserves the right to edit all submissions.

DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE ON THE CAYMAN ISLAND INCIDENT
"I agree that the Cayman Islands are very outdated in their thinking but
as a travel professional that has been in gay travel for over five years
I should know that the standard rule of thumb in the travel industry is 
that British-ruled Caribbean Islands are not gay friendly and some of 
them can be very dangerous for the gay traveler who is even suspect,
let alone caught.  In the past there have been many incidents where 
gay people have been beaten and left for dead or thrown onto a plane.  
As a professional travel journalist as well, I'm very disappointed that 
the travel publication media, let alone general media, hasn't reported 
these points/facts before, let alone now.  What was Atlantis or even 
NCL thinking when they even considered stopping on this island - 
potentially endangering their clients??  They are chartering this ship 
and can customize an itinerary!  There are other islands in the 
Caribbean that are gay-friendly - especially the Netherland Antilles 
(I found Curacau welcoming), US & French ruled.  As a travel 
"professional" I feel that I have an obligation to know as much as I 
can about a destination that my "specialty client" goes to."
- Vicki Skinner, San Diego, CA ([email-masked])

NEW MEMBER "FIRED UP" FOR ISGLMP
"It gave me sincere satisfaction to see the ISGLMP receive national
attention in MeetingNews.  This prompted me to become a member. 
I have always limited my memberships and affiliations, so I might be 
supportive and become an active member of the organizations in 
which I feel I might make some contribution.  Additionally, reading 
Jim Luce as president prompted old memories of goals I wanted to 
achieve and "just let go."  I knew Jim when I worked for Marriott, funny
how old names resurface.  My point, please let me know it there is a 
Los Angeles chapter so I might become more involved.  I am a 
corporate "trouble shooter" hired to evaluate and bring in enhanced
results.  I work well in a team environment and I am not easily
discouraged. If there is a local chapter and if you think I may be of 
some value please let me know and I will contact them direct.  Thank 
you - it been a while since I was this "FIRED UP" about an 
organization.  I hope my membership contributes in some small way."
- Brenda Eschbach ([email-masked])

MEMBERS 'DOWNSIZED' - LOOKING FOR LEADS
"Due to a merger between my employer and another financial services
firm, the department in which I worked was eliminated.  Although I'm 
currently enjoying some much needed time off, I intend to remain on 
the planning side of the industry, preferably within the financial arena.
I would very much appreciate any leads from ISGLMP members or 
friends for jobs within New York City.  - Sam Gonzalez, 
ISGLMP Advisory Board Member ([email-masked])

REMEMBERING MARTIN LUTHER KING
"I really appreciated the tribute to King, and Jim Luce's memories of 
his youth.  I remember so clearly that time when, in seventh grade, I 
lived in New York City and we were going to be bussed into a school 
in predominantly black South Jamaica, Queens.  All but two students,
me and one other girl, were taken out of school by their parents to 
protest...  I will never forget going on a civil rights march down Fifth 
Avenue when I was really young, and hearing King's voice booming 
thru the megaphones. I am so glad I had those experiences and was
taught my parents not to be prejudiced from an early age."
- Tamar Hosansky ([email-masked])

AUSTRALIA'S GAY MARDI GRAS
"Could you please give me the e-mail address of Jo Terrans in
Australia; I would like to make contact with her.  Regarding Sydney's 
Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras, I am happy to report we will be handling 
705 gay men and lesbians to this event in 1998.  We are also taking 
care of the land arrangements for the San Francisco Gay Men's 
Chorus who are performing during Mardi Gras 1998.  I would be very
happy to find a way of offering special land prices to other members 
of ISGLMP in 1999 for Mardi Gras.  Unfortunately we are sold out for 
1998!  - Cheers, Lynne Hocking, Sydney ([email-masked])

Editor's Note: Jo may be reached as follows: Joanne Terrans 
Principal, Absolute Co.Ordination, Sydney, Australia, 
[email-masked], tel.: 612 9922 6483; fax: 612 9922 6483

MIAMI MEMBER ASSISTS CREATING LOCAL CHAPTER
"We have finally selected a location for Trim Your Meetings and 
Events!  Coral Gables, Florida will be the new home for our 
headquarters.  We continue to work with our customers via internet.  
So far, they have been responsive to our move and our
communication ways.  Our overhead cost has decreased over the 
month due to the internet usage.  I have been in contact with Jeff 
Wahl of Miami Air and we are excited about setting up an ISGLMP 
chapter here in Miami.  If you can give us assistance with steps that 
we need to take, your assistance is greatly appreciated.  I am excited 
to be back in my home town and getting T.Y.M.E. to network with our 
ISGLMP members giving the meetings and destination planning they 
need.  - Joseph Vella, President, T.Y.M.E. ([email-masked])

STRAW POLL PICK OF WORLDS BEST KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
"I'd like to ask for suggestions from all ISGLMP members that worked
with any type of conferences/events in 1997 for help in a quick survey,
Its one that we do as an annual straw poll to speakers bureaus, 
agents, and that asks a simple question: who do you feel is the 
"top-best public speaker?"  Would readers here take a minute and 
e-mail suggestions on who they feel are the best keynote speakers?
Results should be useful and of interest to anyone who selects 
speakers into conventions and public conferences (as well as goes/
listens at these events!).  A final tally will be sent to ISGLMP."
- Phillip Knowlton, Co President, LectureAgent, Sausalito, CA
([email-masked]; http://www.LectureAgent.com)

GAY & LESBIAN ONLINE MARKETING NEWSLETTER
I am publishing a gay/lesbian friendly marketing e-zine, and believe it
may be of interest to your readers.   The mission of the Gay & Lesbian
Online Marketing Newsletter is to provide a gay/lesbian friendly 
medium from which all present or future entrepreneurs of the on-line 
community may receive and share valuable marketing information,
which will assist them in starting, and/or operating an exciting and 
extremely successful on-line business.  I would like to have more
articles submitted by gays and lesbians who are doing business on 
the Internet.  You may view the G & L Online Marketing Newsletter
homepage at http://www.autoknowledge.com/aa.  
- Bruce Rawls ([email-masked])

F. ISGLMP MEMBERS INVITED TO SGMP PARTY  by Rick Freda
The National Capital Chapter of SGMP is proud to invite all planner 
members to our upcoming Meeting & Tradeshow in Washington, DC 
on February 11-12, 1998.  This first annual event will take place at the
Sheraton Washington Hotel on Thursday, 2/12/98 with an opening 
reception the night before on the Spirit of Washington cruise line.  
Admission is absolutely free for both events for all meeting planners.  
Lunch will also be served on Thursday at 12:00 noon in the Cotillion 
Ballroom of the Sheraton, featuring Willie Jolley, followed by the trade
show of suppliers from around the country.

There will be great door prizes and a chance to win a trip to Mardi 
Gras weekend in New Orleans on February 20-22, 1998.  We will fly 
two people on American Airlines and have a luxury room waiting for 
you at the Le Pavilion Hotel, spending money included.

If interested in registration, please call Laura Walker at 800.368.3097.
Space is limited, so please contact Laura ASAP! SGMP is a national 
association designed to improve the quality and cost effectiveness of
government meetings.  Through monthly educational meetings, 
members are able to learn the latest trends in meeting planning and 
network with various types of meeting suppliers.  Membership
information is available from Carl Thompson on 703.549.09704.

Note: ISGLMP member Rick Freda works for The Office of the 
Comptroller of the Currency and serves as president of the National 
Capital Chapter/SGMP.  Address: [email-masked].

G.  REPORT FROM THE PROGRAM COMM.  by Bob Dallmeyer
ISGLMP will be on the agenda at IAEM in Reno - Joan Eisenstodt
has volunteered to lead a Roundtable.  We are now busily thinking of
topics for an educational program at IAEM's December meeting.  Any 
thoughts and comments are hereby solicited.  I will do the work of 
lining up the speakers - we have already received e-mail from lots of 
candidates willing to speak.

The working title is: "Diversity in the Workplace."  The description is
as follows:  "A roundtable discussion on specialty markets, equal 
opportunity employment statements and domestic partnership benefits.
Can tolerance and diversity exist in the workplace?  Can the modern 
workplace exist without them?  Join industry mentor, columnist and 
meeting planner Joan Eisenstodt for this lively luncheon chat!"

Note: Program Committee chair Robert Dallmeyer may be reached at 
[email-masked]; Joan Eisenstodt at [email-masked].  Please cc:
the National Office at [email-masked].  

H.  CAYMAN ISLANDS: "ISLE OF SHAME"
We have known for years that Grand Cayman wasn't the friendliest 
place for gay and lesbian travelers.  But now it is official.  In an act of 
unabashed discrimination and homophobia, the Government of the 
Cayman Islands has denied landing rights to the Atlantis Events cruise
aboard the M/S Leeward. The Minister himself wrote the following to 
Norwegian Cruise Line on December 8th: "After great deliberation, the
joint ministries of the Government of the Cayman Islands have voted 
to deny landing rights to M/S Leeward Charter by NCL which is
proposing to arrive in Grand Cayman on Sunday, 1st February, 1998. 
Careful research and prior experience has led us to conclude that we 
cannot count on this group to uphold the standards of appropriate 
behavior expected of visitors to the Cayman Islands, so we regrettably
cannot offer our hospitality."

Since 1992, Out & About has been guiding gay women and men to
vacations destinations where they are most likely to feel comfortable, 
and steering them away from travel providers and experiences that 
are homophobic.  It appears that no Caribbean island has actively 
encouraged gay visitors... yet.  We welcome and will post messages 
here from Caribbean tourism officials who wish to extend a message 
assuring welcome to gay and lesbian travelers.  And it is possible to 
experience incidents of homophobia even in the most gay-popular 
and friendly destinations.  (Visit the Out & About website at
www.outandabout.com.)

For ISGLMP members wishing to express their outrage, we have been
provided by [email-masked] with the following addresses:

Hon. Thomas C. Jefferson, Minister, Tourism, Commerce & Transport
Cayman Islands Government, Government Administration Building
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, 011-345-949-7900 ext.: 2419
fax: 011-345-945-1746

Cayman Islands Chamber of Commerce, P.O. Box 1000 GT
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
011-345-949-8090, fax: 011-345-949-0220
Email: [email-masked] 
Web page: http://cayman.com.ky/chamber/index.htm 

Cayman Islands Regional Sales Offices:
Atlanta: Bill Howard, 404-521-6688
Miami: Peter Shields, 305-267-2932
Tampa: Winston Hendriks, 813-343-2563
Baltimore: Kathleen Mahoney, 301-767-8955
Boston: Judith Akerman, 617-431-7401
Chicago: Barbara Reimers, 847-678-6446
Dallas: Jackie Mitchell, 214-972-3540
Houston: Myrna Fair, 713-461-1317

Cayman Airways
6100 Blue Lagoon Dr., #130, Miami, FL 33126
800-422-9626, 305-266-6760, fax: 305-267-2925

CRUISE COMPANIES with frequent Cayman stops:
Royal Caribbean International
1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL 33132
800-722-5650, fax 305-530-8397
web: www.royalcaribbean.com
e-mail: [email-masked]
Chairman/CEO: Richard Fain

Carnival Cruise Lines
3655 N.W. 87th Avenue, Miami, FL 33178
800-327-2058, 305-599-2200, fax: 305-406-4718
e-mail: [email-masked]
President & COO: Bob Dickinson

Princess Cruises
10100 Santa Monica Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90067
800-774-6237, 310-553-1770, fax: 310-284-2845
e-mail: [email-masked]
President: Peter Radcliffe 

I.  NEWS FROM DOWN UNDER  by Jo Terrans in Australia
This year is the milestone celebration of the 20th anniversary of the
first Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras.  It is testimony to the strength
and will of Sydney's gay and lesbian community which has led political
reform in New South Wales especially on issues of discrimination, 
vilification and human rights.

Most well known for the annual Parade (Saturday Feb 28), the Sydney
Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras is an organic organisation that grows and
changes with the political, community and cultural environments.  It is 
an unique organisation that gives gays and lesbians events of 
celebration and remembrance - traditions, funding, support, acclaimed
performing and visual arts programmes and a tribal belonging that 
extends into other areas of our lives.

Sunny Sydney is the place to be in February.  For latest information 
and updates visit http:\\www.mardigras.com.au!  ISGLMP member 
Jo Terrans can be reached at [email-masked].

J.  CORPORATE SEAL OF APPROVAL APPLICATION
Note: Please mail or fax back your response (212-388-0681) with a 
check for $475 to cover processing.  Allow four weeks for approval 
and website listing.  Invoice for purposes of billing are available on our
website.  Application is free to ISGLMP members through June 1998.

Join American Express, the Canadian Tourism Commission, the 
Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau, and many others for this
honor and advertising opportunity!  (Complete listing on our website)

Does your company provide:
1) Outreach to lesbian & gay community as customers 
     (incl. targeted advertising, guides, etc.); 
___ yes ___ no  (please provide xerox copy/ies of example/s)

2) Corporate Equal Opportunity Employment (EOE) statement 
     specifically including "sexual orientation;"  
___ yes ___ no  (provide xerox copy of statement)

3) Domestic Partnership (DP) health benefits;
___ yes ___ no  (provide xerox copy of policy)

4) Sanctioned and supported lesbian & gay employee group;
___ yes ___ no  (provide xeroxed correspondence, etc.)

5) Significant contributions to the lesbian & gay community
     (incl. AIDS service organizations).  Includes gifts-in-kind.
___ yes ___ no (provide xeroxed correspondence, etc.)

Company:
Size of company: (big, medium or small)
[Fortune 500, medium or less than 10 employees]
Submitting Individual 
Name:
Title:
Address:
Telephone (Voice):
Fax:
E-Mail:
Date:

K.  CHARTER MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
Name:
Title:
Company:
Address:
Telephone (Voice):
Fax:
E-Mail:
Website:
Do you wish to be listed publicly?
Would you like to be considered for 1998-99 Advisory Board?
Would your company like to be considered as "Gay-Friendly"?
(please mail documentation on five criteria under separate cover)
Where did you hear about ISGLMP?
Other professional membership?
If meeting planner, how many room/nights do you coordinate annually?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date:

Note: Charter Membership, open until June 30, 1998, is gratis.
Charter Members may apply to have their qualifying corporation
approved with the ISGLMP "Seal of Approval" on a complimentary
basis.  As of July 1, 1998 annual dues will be invoiced at U.S. 
$110 per annum and all gay-friendly approval will require a $475
documentation processing fee.