Subject: ISGLMP MONTHLY E-MAIL, vol. 2, no. 1b (January 15, 1998)
From: ISGLMP <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 16:10:49 EST

ISGLMP MONTHLY E-MAIL, vol. 2, no. 1b (January 15, 1998)
175 Fifth Avenue #2172, New York, N.Y.  U.S.A.  10010-7703
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----
Due to transmission difficulties with AOL, this edition was not delivered 
to the majority of our members and friends.  If this reached ytou twice, 
please disregard.  We apologize for AOL's glitch...  :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----
Tel.: 212-388-0588; Fax: 212-388-0681
E-Mail: [email-masked]
Website: http://<A HREF="http://site105194.primehost.com/">www.ISGLMP.org</A> 

Int’l Society of Gay & Lesbian Meeting Professionals - 522 strong!

INDEX
A. Martin Luther King’s Legacy by Jim Luce
B. Upcoming Events: Orlando!
C. ISGLMP in the News: 
Successful Meetings; Meetings & Conventions
D. ISGLMP Website Chosen for Excellence
E. Welcoming Reception Committee Forms by Jeff Tendean
F. Canadian Tourism Commission Applies for Gay-Friendly Seal
G. EventSource Seeks Listing ISGLMP Seal on their Site
H. G&L Employee Resource Group To Meet In Dallas
I. ISGLMP Member Update
J. Members Dialogue
K. News From Down Under by Jo Terrans (Australia)
L. ISGLMP Seal of Approval Application
M. ISGLMP Charter Membership Application Form
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------
A. MARTIN LUTHER KING’S LEGACY by Jim Luce
Three places have filled me with tremendous awe as a traveler: 
Dachau, Hiroshima and Martin Luther King’s tomb in Atlanta.  Two of 
these because of the depths humanity has been able to sink, and one
for the heights humanity has soared.

As a child, I witnessed my mother become the first white president of a
local NAACP chapter in our region.  I was taken out of school for all the
civil rights marches and remember well the day he died; I thought my
mother was going to die as well.

Martin Luther King never addressed the issue of gay and lesbian rights 
specifically; it wasn’t really on the map in 1968 - Stonewall was to occur 
a year after his death.  But King’s message about the universality of
man was all-powerful.  In his most famous address he thundered about
a day when children will be judged not by the color of their skin but
by the content of their character.  This is the central theme of ISGLMP.

King was a spokesperson for all human rights and I believe he would be 
a staunch supporter of any individual or group of individuals whose 
aim was to push for human dignity and equality.  We honor King this 
day and week - not as the Hallmark product he is becoming - but for 
the social conscience that he was. - Jim Luce, President

B. UPCOMING INDUSTRY EVENTS
MPI-PEC:  Orlando, January 25 - 27, 1998
     David Cantalupo ([email-masked])
     Jim Daggett, CAE, CMP ([email-masked])
     Joan Eisenstodt ([email-masked])
     Brian Hile ([email-masked]) 
     Mark Israel, CMP ([email-masked])
     Christopher Johnson, CMP ([email-masked])
     Charles Massey ([email-masked])
     Lee Pomerance ([email-masked])
     Andre Valk ([email-masked])
Note: Christopher Johnson (L.A.) has volunteered to assist with the
ISGLMP Welcome Reception for this meeting.

IACVB/Destination Showcase:  Washington, DC, Feb. 26, 1998
ACME:  Washington, DC, Washington, DC, Feb. 26-27, 1998

MPI-PEC/Europe:  Copenhagen, April 19 - 21, 1998

Gay & Lesbian Bus. & Consumer Expo:  New York, April 25-26, 1998
Note: Jim Luce will be staffing our table; other volunteers needed to 
“people” booth.  Last year’s show was great - join us!

C.  ISGLMP IN THE NEWS
Editors’ Note: Our Seal of Approval was front page news two weeks 
ago in ‘MeetingNews’ and has now been covered by two other leading
publications in our industry.

Successful Meetings, January 1998, edited by Ron Donoho
“NEWS: Rating Gay-Friendliness,” p. 16
“The fledgling International Society of Gay & Lesbian Professionals 
(ISGLMP) has created a rating system to help planners determine 
which companies in the meetings industry are “gay friendly.”  Hotels, 
convention and visitors bureaus, and other companies may earn and/
or display the society’s “seal of approval,” a globe imposed over an 
inverted lavender triangle.  Organizations seeking the designation will
also receive a one-through-five rating.

ISGLMP President Jim Luce says the rating system fits with the 
mission of the 500-plus member society. “When we formed this group 
some people wondered why,” he says.  “They said, ‘There’s no 
special group for left-handed dishwashers or other subsections of 
society.’  Well, we feel that larger meeting groups—like Meeting 
Professionals International—don’t address the needs of gay and 
lesbian community.”  He adds that ISGLMP members and supporters 
believe a rating system is appropriate.

Luce says that however gay-friendly the hospitality industry is, its 
track record regarding substantive issues that affect gay professionals
lags behind non-hospitality corporate entities such as American 
Express, Apple Computer, Microsoft and Starbucks.  For now, the 
screening process for a seal of approval will be free to organizations 
that have members who belong to ISGLMP.  (Currently, membership 
is free.)  ISGLMP plans on instituting a $475 processing fee to apply for 
the rating in the future.  All ratings will be listed on their web site 
(http://www.isglmp.org).

Whether a company earns a one (the lowest) or a five (highest) rating,
it is allowed to use the seal of approval in marketing materials, says 
Luce.  While he doubts hotels or CVBs will hang the lavender triangle
in a window, he thinks the rating system will carry weight in marketing
aimed at the gay community.”

Meetings & Conventions, January 1998, edited by Dana Nigro
“Newsline,” p. 19
“The International Society of Gay & Lesbian Meeting Professionals 
(ISGLMP) has established five criteria  to screen companies wishing 
to earn the group’s “gay-friendly” Seal of Approval and a ranking in its
directory.  ISGLMP will screen the company of its members for free 
until June 30, 1998.  Others must pay a $475 processing fee.”

D.  ISGLMP WEBSITE CHOSEN FOR EXCELLENCE
“We Love New York Day!” and Worldwide Meeting Commtech Expo 
sponsored by NYSAE is set to feature ISGLMP’s website next month.
In their panel entitled “Excellence on the World Wide Web: Exploring 
Effective Association Websites,” moderator Mary Lee Keane, 
Executive Director, American Marketing Association (New York) is 
slated to present our website’s application and membership listing on 
the big screen.

The session, which is described as a tour of “the most effective 
association sites on the WWW,” promises to show registrants ways 
of using the web in ways previously unthought of.  The “avant-garde 
cut-and-paste” format of our application will be highlighted.

This will be the Twentieth Anniversary of “We Love New York Day!” 
and will be held at the Marriott Marquis in New York.  ISGLMP 
members are encouraged to attend this important and informative
event on February 5.

E.  WELCOMING RECEPTION COMMITTEE FORMS by Jeff Tendean
With too little lead time, ISGLMP was unable to find a sponsor for the 
PCMA convention in Kansas City.  To avoid such last minute scrambles
in the future, the Board of Directors is delighted to announce the form-
ation of our Welcoming Reception Committee.  Two individuals have 
been invited to co-chair this important committee, but we do not yet
have confirmation of their acceptance.  One is a meeting planner with
a large medical organization and the other a writer for industry pub-
lications.  Both have attended previous receptions, including the 
Regal Knickerbocker Hotel’s for ASAE in Chicago, the Dutch Tourist 
Board & Baltimore Convention Center’s reception for MPI in Baltimore
and the New Orleans Marriott’s fête for ISGLMP at IAEM in Atlanta.

One of the committee’s objectives is to produce cloisonné pins for 
ISGLMP members to be able to spot each other at industry meetings 
in the future.  Future hosting opportunities include MPI-PEC in 
Orlando, January 25 - 27; and IACVB/Destination Showcase/ACME in
Washington, DC, Feb. 26-27.  Please contact [email-masked] 
regarding any interest in hosting an ISGLMP reception.

F.  CANADIAN TOURISM COMMISSION APPLIES FOR SEAL
The Canadian Tourism Commission has applied for ISGLMP’s Seal of 
Approval. Formerly known as the Canadian Consulate General, the 
Commission coordinates tens of thousands of room nights annually 
for their clients.  Both Harvey Paul Davidson, CMP, Tourism Program 
Manager ([email-masked]) and Dena Kerren, 
Meetings & Incentive Travel Specialist ([email-masked]) 
have been members of ISGLMP from the beginning.  Check out their 
exciting website at http://Canada-NY.org.

G.  EVENTSOURCE SEEKS LISTING ISGLMP SEAL ON THEIR SITE
ISGLMP has entered into talks with EventSource, an industry website
which is used by 50,000 meeting planners per month.  EventSource is
interested is interested in displaying our Seal of Approval next to the 
corporations that have earned it.  EventSource is used primarily for 
site selection; connecting meeting planners with hotels, convention 
centers, other venues and CVBs.  Their on-line directories consist of 
8,000 event sites, 400 CVBs and 5,000 "other" suppliers; primarily in 
North America.  EventSource is in the process of linking to our site 
within their ‘Association’ area.  

EventSource has also agreed to rotate ISGLMP’s ad banner through-
out various ad locations on its website.  This San Francisco-based 
company has agreed to offer these services to ISGLMP free of charge,
as, according to their correspondence, “they recognize the importance of, 
and fully support, the Gay communities' rights and voice.”  Their site 
may be viewed at http://eventsource.com.

H.  G&L EMPLOYEE RESOURCE GROUP TO MEET IN DALLAS
PROGRESS, the nation's largest coalition of gay, lesbian, bisexual 
and transgender employee resource groups, invites you to participate
in their third annual summit, to be held in Dallas, Texas, March 13 - 15,
at the Fairmont Hotel.  Dallas-based Leadership Lambda will co-host 
the Summit.  Official sponsors of this year's Summit include The United
Way, Visa International, Pacific Bell, Human Rights Campaign, Kaiser 
Permanente, American Airlines, Genentech, and Leadership Lambda 
- Dallas.  Openly-gay Texas State Representative Glenn Maxey has 
been tapped as the Summit's key-note speaker.

“Hosting the Summit outside of California this year demonstrates 
PROGRESS' growth as a national coalition,” said Sarah Fairchild of 
Kaiser Permanente, event co-chair.  “PROGRESS is now educating 
employers nationwide about inclusive workplace policies and showing
them how employee groups play an integral role in the gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgender civil rights movement.”

The program that has been developed is truly outstanding.  There will 
be no "Talking Heads" at PROGRESS Leadership Summit Three.  
This will be an interactive and unique experience interspersed with 
socializing and networking opportunities with other LGBT leaders.  
San Francisco Bay Area human resources and diversity consultant 
Paula Jones developed the leadership program in conjunction with the
PROGRESS Events Committee based on responses from a survey 
sent to over 450 employee support group ESG leaders around the 
country.  The committee is made up of workplace activists and 
professionals from national and multinational corporations. 

This year's Summit is expected to be the largest ever, with participants
from dozens of corporate, governmental, non-profit and educational 
workplaces nationwide.  PROGRESS Summit '97 registration fees 
range from $95 - $235 including lodging, meals and seminars. 
Information on the PROGRESS Summit is available by telephone at 
888-PRO-LGBT or by e-mail at [email-masked].  Website 
address is http://www.bayscenes.com/np/progress/home.htm.

I.  ISGLMP MEMBER UPDATE
Charles Massey has been elected President-Elect of Southern 
California Chapter of MPI.  He volunteers that he would be glad to 
help with ISGLMP’s LA area chapter which is currently under 
formation.

J.  MEMBERS DIALOGUE
Note: ISGLMP reserves the right to edit all submissions.

SOUTH AFRICAN BEST WESTERN JOINS ISGLMP
“I received your new newsletter for Jan. 1998.  I would like to get more
info on the competition you are running, with regards to sponsoring 
prizes.  I am the manager of one of the Best Western Hotels in South 
Africa and would like to get the word out that this hotel is a gay-friendly
Hotel.  Furthermore I would like to know if you have got any members
in South Africa, so that we can get the ISGLMP on the road here. 
Please reply to the e-mail addresses mentioned.” - Shaun Strydom 
([email-masked])

GRAND CAYMANS TO WIN “HALL OF SHAME” AWARD
“Looks like the Grand Cayman Island could be a shoe-in for entry into 
our "Hall of Shame" for their refusing to allow an Atlantis chartered ship
to dock for the day.  According to the news, it seems that the cruise 
ship was not allowed to come to shore at the Grand Cayman Island 
because of the behavior that was expected from the approximately 
900 gay passengers.  This is an extreme case of stereotyping and I 
would venture to say hints of discrimination based on sexual orient-
ation.” - Peter J. Quintin, CMP ([email-masked])

MORE ON THE CAYMAN ISLANDS...
“I am sure that by now you have seen the press regarding the Cayman 
Islands and an Atlantis Cruise that had been scheduled to dock in 
Grand Cayman.  The Minister of Tourism, Thomas C. Jefferson, denied
port access because he does not think that Gays & Lesbians live up to 
his standards for visitors (see January 7 edition of USA Today - cover 
of Life section).  I think that it is important that we spread the word that 
this happened.  Not only do I think we should not support the Cayman 
Islands with our tourism money, but we should re-think holding 
conferences and meetings there.  I sure hope that no one from the 
Cayman Islands has applied for an ISGLMP certification.”  
- Pam Schwartz, CEM, Vice President of Operations, Epic Enterprises/
PGI ([email-masked])

EVEN MORE ON THE CAYMAN ISLANDS!
"I think the Cayman Islands might qualify for our "Hall of Shame." It's 
unfortunate that my second communication as a new members is of this
nature, but I feel this should be known.  I can't believe the the Minister 
himself wrote the following to Norwegian Cruise Line on December 8th: 
"After great deliberation, the joint ministries of the Government of the 
Cayman Islands have voted to deny landing rights to M/S Leeward Charter 
by NCL which is proposing to arrive in Grand Cayman on Sunday, 
1st February, 1998. Careful research and prior experience has led us to 
conclude that we cannot count on this group to uphold the standards 
of appropriate behavior expected of visitors to the Cayman Islands, so 
we regrettably cannot offer our hospitality."  And to think, I was planning 
on going there on holiday this December..." -  Brent Lancaster, Charlotte

Editors Note: any additional info on this incident would be helpful to us.
Thanks!

SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL...
“My colleague recently found your website.  I believe one of the 
founders is someone I went to college with.  In fact, I'm certain...  
Please give Jim Luce my best!  It’s hard to believe that two 
‘Japanophiles’ from the College of Wooster would end up in the 
meeting industry!  I coordinate 40-45 company seminars and summer
institutes, nationwide, for middle and high school teachers.”
- Glenn Hammet, Events Coordinator, Teacher's Curriculum Institute, 
Palo Alto ([email-masked])

VOLUNTEER FOR ORLANDO MPI RECEPTION
“Greetings from Los Angeles!  I have just fished reading the cover 
story "Gay-Friendly" ratings in MeetingNews, and am excited that 
ISGLMP is getting some national exposure.  I would like to express 
my desire to assist with the "Welcome Reception" in Orlando, FL at 
the end of the month.  I would also be happy to have my spouse 
design (he is a graphic designer) an invitation, promo materials or a 
name badge for the reception.  Hope to speak with you all soon.”
- Christopher Johnson, CMP ([email-masked])

ISGLMP MEMBERS POLLED ON PUBLIC SPEAKERS
“I’d like to ask for suggestions from all ISGLMP members that worked
with any type of conferences, events in 1997 for help in a quick survey.
Its one that we do as an annual straw poll to speakers bureaus, 
agents, and that asks a simple question: who do you feel is the 
“top-best public speaker?”  Would readers here take a minute and 
e-mail suggestions on who they feel are the best keynote speakers?
Results should be useful and of interest to anyone who selects 
speakers into conventions and public conferences (as well as goes/
listens at these events!).  A final tally will be sent for publication.
Thanks very much for your considerations, it’s appreciated!”
- Phillip Knowlton, Co President, LectureAgent, Sausalito, CA 
([email-masked]; http://www.LectureAgent.com)

K.  NEWS FROM DOWN UNDER by Jo Terrans (Australia)
Following on from the huge success in Melbourne last year, the 
Australian Gay & Lesbian Tourism Association in this year is 
expanding its long running Travel & Leisure Show into the AGLTA 
Gay & Lesbian Travel Week.  

AGLTA Gay & Lesbian Travel Week will begin in Melbourne with a 
Travel Expo on Sunday 26 April and end in Sydney with a Travel 
Expo on Sunday 3 May.  During the week in-between AGLTA will 
conduct a series of industry seminars and workshops in Melbourne,
Sydney, Adelaide and Brisbane.

By holding the two Expos a week apart, exhibitors will be able to use 
the time between for networking and sales calls.  Of course it also 
means display material only needs to be supplied once but used twice.
AGLTA will even transport the displays from Melbourne to Sydney for 
businesses exhibiting at both Expos!

AGLTA has been conducting travel show for over 5 years and no 
other organisation comes close to providing the experience or results.
The expos are here to stay and have the respect of the industry, 
community and media.  For further information or exhibition booking 
forms, please contact Michael Leaney on 61 3 94195230 or e-mail 
[email-masked].

Editor’s Note:  Look forward to “Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras” in
our next newsletter.  Thanks, Jo!

L.  CORPORATE SEAL OF APPROVAL APPLICATION
Note: Please mail or fax back your response with a check for $475 to 
cover processing.  Allow four weeks for approval and website listing.
Invoice for purposes of billing will soon be available on our website.

Does your company provide:
1) Outreach to lesbian & gay community as customers 
     (incl. targeted advertising, guides, etc.); 
___ yes ___ no  (please provide xerox copy/ies of example/s)

2) Corporate Equal Opportunity Employment (EOE) statement 
     specifically including “sexual orientation;”  
___ yes ___ no  (provide xerox copy of statement)

3) Domestic Partnership (DP) health benefits;
___ yes ___ no  (provide xerox copy of policy)

4) Sanctioned and supported lesbian & gay employee group;
___ yes ___ no  (provide zeroed correspondence, etc.)

5) Significant contributions to the lesbian & gay community
     (incl. AIDS service organizations).  Includes gifts-in-kind.
___ yes ___ no (provide xeroxed correspondence, etc.)

Company:
Size of company: (big, medium or small)
[Fortune 500, medium or less than 10 employees]
Submitting Individual 
Name:
Title:
Address:
Tel.:
Fax:
E-Mail:
Date:

M.  CHARTER MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
Name:
Title:
Company:
Address:
Tel.:
Fax:
E-Mail:
Website:
Do you wish to be listed publicly?
Would you like to be considered for 1998-99 Advisory Board?
Would your company like to be considered as “Gay-Friendly”?
(please mail documentation on five criteria under separate cover)
Where did you hear about ISGLMP?
Other professional membership?
If meeting planner, how many room/nights do you coordinate annually?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date:

Note: Charter Membership, open until June 30, 1998, is compli-
mentary.  Charter Members may apply to have their qualifying 
corporation approved with the ISGLMP "Seal of Approval" on a 
complimentary basis.  As of July 1, 1998 annual dues will be invoiced
at U.S. $110 per annum and all gay-friendly approval will require a 
$475 documentation processing fee.