Subject: Navratilova Announces Donation of $50,000
From: David Saries <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 1996 10:37:37 -0500

For Immediate Release                   
Media  Contact: Do Tell, Inc. 610/397-0100
Pam Derderian -or- David Saries

Martina Navratilova Announces The Donation Of 
Over $50,000.00 to the Lesbian & Gay Community

Philadelphia, PA (2/14/96) -- In October, tennis legend and leading 
advocate of gay causes, Martina Navratilova introduced the Rainbow Card, 
an internationally accepted Visa credit card, the use of which supports 
causes of interest to the lesbian and gay community.  Just four months 
after launching the Rainbow Card, Navratilova announced the donation of 
over $50,000.00 on behalf of the Rainbow Endowment,  a non-profit 
organization that contributes funds derived from use of the Rainbow Card 
to beneficiary organizations serving the lesbian and gay community.

³Initial cardholder support of the Rainbow Card has been tremendous,² 
stated Navratilova, spokesperson for the Rainbow Endowment.  ³Each of us 
working on the Rainbow Card program are grateful for the overwhelming 
support that we¹ve received from the lesbian and gay community and the 
opportunity to give back to our community in such a significant way.  
These early contributions are a tribute to all of  the cardholders who 
have responded so enthusiastically to the Rainbow program and to the 
needs of the community.² 

The program has also enjoyed tremendous corporate support from Subaru of 
America, Inc., Founding Sponsor of the Rainbow Endowment.  According to 
Navratilova, ³Subaru is the ideal corporate partner.  Already they have 
played an integral role in helping us fund crucial organizations 
committed to HIV/AIDS and breast cancer research and services. We are 
thankful for Subaru¹s ongoing commitment and support.²  

³The rapid growth we have been experiencing has been exciting to our 
project partners at Subaru, Travelers Bank and Visa USA,² stated Pam 
Derderian, principal of Do Tell, Inc., the lesbian owned marketing 
agency that created the Rainbow Card. ³As a result of our early 
acceptance, we plan to accelerate our marketing plans for 1996, which 
will ultimately bring us closer to reaching our long term goal of 
securing 250,000 Rainbow Card members, and raising over $20 million for 
the Rainbow Endowment within a five year  period.²

The six inaugural beneficiary organizations of the Rainbow Endowment are 
the AIDS Information Network, Astraea National Lesbian Action 
Foundation, Community Research Initiative on AIDS, National Breast 
Cancer Coalition, National Lesbian and Gay Health Association and the 
National Center for Lesbian Rights. Each non-profit group which received 
a letter from Martina on behalf of the Rainbow Endowment, along with a 
check in the amount of $8,500.00, is committed to lesbian and gay 
health, cultural and civil rights work.

Available through Travelers Bank, USA (1-800-99 RAINBOW), the Rainbow 
Card offers no annual fee, a super low introductory rate of 6.65%, free 
cards for ³chosen family² members, and the option for domestic partners 
to apply jointly for increased credit lines. 

Those interested in obtaining a Rainbow Card can call 1-800-99-RAINBOW.  
Applications are also available at various gay-friendly restaurants, 
bookstores, and other retail establishments throughout the country, or 
visit the Rainbow Card web site at: http://www.gayweb.com/ 
rainbow/index.html.                                        

####

Press Note:  For more information please call Pam Derderian or David 
Saries at                                                                                                  
610/397-0100.