Subject: May 2nd DNCB Support Group
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 07:26:20 -0400

"WHAT DO ANTIVIRALS LIKE AZT DO TO MY CD8 COUNTS?"

Find out about the immune system, CD8s and how the inexpensive, non-toxic
treatment DNCB can strengthen the cellular immune response in the battle
against HIV.

DNCB (dinitrochlorobenzene) is a potent topical contact sensitizer that when
used regularly boosts the cellular immune system resulting in increased
numbers of CD8 cytotoxic T lymphocytes (CTL) and natural killer (NK) cells.
Studies of long-term nonprogressors have demonstrated that they have strong
cellular immune responses with high levels of these protective immune cells.

Virtually all opportunistic infections in AIDS are of an intracellular nature
and can only be controlled by a cellular immune response; therefore it is
important to avoid antiviral therapies that compromise this protective arm of
your immune system. DNCB provides an inexpensive, non-toxic alternative that
strengthens cellular immunity in an effort to delay disease progression and
onset of O.I.s.

Join the monthly support group meeting of ACT UP San Francisco's DNCB
Treatment Group to find out more about boosting your cellular immunity and
fighting HIV. 

Thursday, May 2nd at 7:30 PM
Gazebo Room at Davies Medical Center
(445 Castro Street at Duboce above Emergency Room)

For more information on cellular immunity or obtaining DNCB, call the DNCB
Treatment Group at (415) 954-8896. You can contact ACT UP San Francisco at
(415) 522-2907.

==========

DNCB
(DRG-0080)

MODE OF ACTION: Dinitrochlorobenzene (DNCB) is a contact sensitizing agent
that enhances the function of antigen-presenting cells (APCs) via induction
of delayed-type hypersensitivity. Topical application of DNCB was previously
shown to be safe in a small number of patients with early HIV disease. One
study has followed the clinical course and examined alterations of lymphocyte
subsets in the same group of patients over a longer period of time. The
researchers concluded that prolonged use of topical DNCB is associated with
stable clinical course in most patients, despite a significant decrease in
CD4 T-cells. Lack of disease progression is associated with a stable CD8 CD38
count, and may be related to a persistent increase in natural killer cells.
This increase is probably due to DNCB-induced delayed-type hypersensitivity
that may be beneficial in HIV disease. DNCB also appears to be effective in
the treatment of cutaneous Kaposi's angiosarcoma.

National Library of Medicine