Subject: Judge rules to count votes of DC marijuana initiative
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:00:55 EDT

For Immediate Release
September 17, 1999
Contact: Wayne Turner, ACT UP/DC
Phone: 202-547-9404
Email: [email-masked]

D.C. Court Ruling Hailed a Victory for Medical Marijuana Initiative 59;
Democracy Activists Win Crucial Battle Against Bob Barr

Washington, DC - US District court Judge Richard Roberts issued a ruling 
today allowing the count, release, cerfication, and transmission of the 
results of DC's medical marijuana Initiative 59.  The ballots were impounded 
and results kept secret since last November's election, due to Rep. Bob 
Barr's (R-GA) amendment on the District's FY 99 Budget, prohibiting local 
officials from "conducting an election" on any ballot measure which lessens 
the penalties for marijuana use.

The court case, filed by the ACLU/National Capital Area on behalf of ACT 
UP/DC, has been pending since final arguments were presented last December.

Health care advocates hailed today's ruling a dual win for patients and the 
democratic rights of District residents.  "This is a real victory, but it's 
been such it's been such a long, painful struggle," states AIDS activist 
Wayne Turner of ACT UP/DC, who led the Initiative 59 campaign after its 
original sponsor, Steve Michael, died from AIDS.

"I look forward to finally counting the votes from this important medical 
marijuana initiative," said Turner.  "Judge Roberts has made a wise decision 
permitting certifying the will of DC voters.  Democracy will be renewed when 
the ballots are tallied up and results released."

A local coalition of AIDS activists, grassroots environmentalists, and 
diverse citizens gathered over 32,000 petition signatures in order to place 
Initiative 59 on the November 3, 1998 ballot.  Though District voters cast 
their ballots either simply "For" or "Against," local election officials were 
threatened with arrest if they counted and announced the results.

Initiative 59, if passed, would allow seriously ill patients including 
persons with cancer or AIDS to use marijuana for medicinal purposes.  
Marijuana alleviates nausea and stimulates the appetite loss associated wih 
AIDS wasting syndrome.  The DC Board of Elections and Ethics will soon 
offically certify the outcome.  

Even if Initiative 59 was approved by voters, the measure would still be 
subject to a 30-day congressional review period.  A "resolution of 
disapproval" would have to be passed by a majority in both the House and the 
Senate, and then signed by the President, in order to overturn a DC law.

"We still have a lot of work to do with Congress so we can eventually 
implement the will of the people of DC," Turner adds.  "The marijuana ballot 
process has always been about protecting patients."

For more information, check out our website at www.actupdc.org.  Help us in 
our continuing struggle to protect the patients.  Please send your donation 
to:
 
'Yes on 59'
409 H Street, N.E.
Washington, DC 20002

    #    #    #