Subject: AIDS activists to Starr: Expand Whitewater Probe
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 12:35:00 -0400 (EDT)

following is a letter sent via Federal Express today to Independent Counsel
Kenneth Starr, asking him to expand the Whitewater probe

ACT UPWashington
409 H Street NE  Washington, DC 20002
202-547-9404

July 16, 1997

Mr. Kenneth Starr
Independent Counsel
1701 Centerview Drive, Suite 203
Little Rock, Arkansas  72211

Dear Mr. Starr,
 It has come to our attention that investigators from your office have
questioned individuals inside the Clinton Administration about how Gays and
Lesbians were recruited for employment in the White House.

 We have further learned that Congress Member Barney Frank (D-Mass) has
written you asking you to call off your investigation into this matter.  Mr.
Frank is not without his own prejudices in this matter.  Frank has a
reputation in the Gay community as a long time Clinton apologist.. While we
are concerned that the tone of FBI agents might have been inappropriate, we
believe that expanding the investigation in this area might bear fruit.  

 We have long suspected that certain Democratic Party operatives who happen
to be Gay were offered jobs in a future Clinton White House.  Those same
Party operatives raised millions of dollars from Gays, Lesbians and people
with HIV and AIDS for the 1992 and 1996 Clinton campaigns.  Trading money and
the good name of the Gay, Lesbian and AIDS communities for a job in the
administration should not be taken lightly.  Those same individuals worked to
marginalize the legitimate concerns of ACT UP members and others about the
AIDS and Gay record of then Governor Clinton.  Many of those appointed
individuals worked on various partisan election campaigns while in
government. 

 Gay and Lesbian Americans are struggling for equal rights, liberation and a
cure for AIDS.  ACT UP Washingtonians are shocked and angered that Congress
member Frank would put the political career of his  Party leader ahead of
that struggle for rights, liberation and a cure.

 There are those of us in this community that read beyond the partisan press
releases and are aware that you and your team have successfully prosecuted
Bill Clinton's former Lt. Governor and his former business partners.  

 ACT UP Washingtonians stand ready to assist you in your search for truth and
justice. If this matter falls outside of your areas of investigation please
forward it to the appropriate independent counsel.

Sincerely

Steve Michael
ACT UP Washington
cc:  members of ACT UP's 1992 Presidential Project
Senator Fred Thompson