Subject: ACT UP DC hosts White House Coffee.....
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 12:42:45 -0500 (EST)

ACT UP Washington
825 5th Street NE, Suite A
Washington, DC 20002
202.547.6780
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ACT UP Washington to launch "Spring Offensive" at "White House Coffee"
Thursday
February 13, 1997
12 NOON
The White House Sidewalk
Pennsylvania Avenue
Across from Lafayette Park

ACT UP Washington members will announce their "Spring Offensive" against the
Clinton Presidency at a "White House Coffee" this Thursday, February 13th.
  The activists will lay out specific plans to target President Clinton's
public events and activities during the month of April. 

ACT UP Washington will be contacting all other DC-based, nationally focused
AIDS and Gay organizations to determine their interest in joining the
campaign to create a national climate conducive to funding AIDS at level that
matches the need. Notes Steve Michael, "We hope that those organizations that
spent millions of our dollars on the Clinton re-election effort will see fit
to participate in creative activities designed to focus national attention on
the need for presidential leadership around AIDS."

 Michael continues, "This coffee honors those who have died of AIDS because
they and their advocates do not have the funds needed to garner presidential
access and privilege.  The hungry, homeless injection drug users with HIV
that spend their days fighting to get an invisible drug treatment slot do not
matter to this president or his millionaire coffee club buddies."

April's activities will include regular funeral processions through the
streets of Washington.  ACT UP Washington vows to jam the phone and fax lines
of the powers in DC with the obituaries of our dead brothers and sisters.
 ACT UP Washington's hearse will also be parked at strategic locations
throughout the capitol.  Promises Wayne Turner of ACT UP, "Forcing Democratic
and Republican leaders to walk by our hearse on the way to their
multi-million dollar fund-raisers will be a powerful message.  This year's
Cherry Blossom Festival will be haunted by Bill Clinton's four year AIDS
record of death, denial, lip service and lies."

These events are in response to the AIDS budget cuts announced by President
Clinton on February 7, 1997. Concludes Michael "the misery caused by this
Clinton budget cannot be calculated by dollars and cents."

ACT UP Washington reminds people that the following positions that deal with
AIDS issues have yet to be filled by Bill Clinton...  
AIDS Czar, FDA Commissioner, Surgeon General

Bill Clinton's AIDS Record.
Doen't it just Kill You?
Donna Shalala, Janet Reno and Barry McCaffery...
The Three Stooges of the American Drug Policy.