Subject: Pac donates less than 10% to AIDS-friendly candidates
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 00:32:03 -0500 (EST)

AID$ is BIG Business...
And Look Who is Making a Killing.
Meet Tom Sheridan.
AIDS Profiteer.

 The watchdog AIDS advocacy and protest group ACT UP in Washington, DC
recently obtained documents from the Federal Election Commission that show
the American AIDS Political Action Committee, AIDSPAC, distributed less than
$40,000 to candidates after raising over $588,477.  AIDSPAC raises money
through fund-raisers, telemarketing, and direct mail, to distribute to Senate
and Congressional candidates supportive on AIDS issues.  More than a quarter
of a million dollars was paid out by AIDSPAC to consultants, with the largest
sums going to the Sheridan Group, a consulting firm owned by the head of
AIDSPAC, Tom Sheridan.  

 "He paid himself over three times the amount of money his political action
committee gave to candidates," ACT UP Washington spokesperson Steve Michael
states.  He continues, "A grand total of $284,151.51 was paid out to various
assorted consultants, fund-raisers, and Sheridan cronies."  

 Sheridan and his organization came under scrutiny over two years ago in an
investigative report by Washington Blade writer Lou Chibarro.  "This is a
repeat of his 1994 performance.  These campaign documents indicate that
Sheridan is up to his old tricks.  The record is clear, over 90% of the funds
spend by Sheridan when to overhead.  That is unacceptable." adds Michael.

Sheridan hosting RED RIBBON INAUGURAL CELEBRATION
ACTIVISTS PLAN LEGAL PICKET...
GROUP WILL DISTRIBUTE COPYS OF REPORT...
...WILL ASK FOR INVESTIGATION BY US ATTORNEY FOR DC

 ACT UP Washington is also concerned that Sheridan plans to cash in on the
upcoming presidential inauguration.  On page 25 of the January 10, 1996 issue
of the Washington Blade Sheridan is promoting what he calls 'The Red Ribbon
Inaugural Gala....A benefit for Loretta's (Sanchez) legal defense against Bob
Dornan's continuing challenge to overturn his defeat.  Let's send him home
once and for all."

 People need to know their money is going to Sheridan's latest get-rich-quick
scheme.  ACT UP Washington members plan to distribute copies of Sheridan's
campaign forms in front of the Nightclub sponsoring the event.  The event is
scheduled for Sunday, January, 19, 1997 from 5 to 7:30 PM.  

 Allen Ritter, organizer of the Health Brigade, comments, "Maybe Tom Sheridan
and Newt Gingrich can go into the laundry business together."
 Individuals wishing to contribute to a defense fund for Congressmember
Loretta Sanchez should contact her office directly.  ACT UP members will
post, distribute and circulate the appropriate address.  After all if you
want to give Loretta Sanchez $100 --- give it to her directly.  If you look
at the Sheridan record it figures that less than $10 of that $100 will ever
get to Sanchez.

FOLLOWING IS A BREAKDOWN OF FUNDS
COURTESY: FEDERAL ELECTIONS COMMISSION

Payments to The Sheridan Group   $131,839
The smith Company                          $12,952
AB Data                                             $43,283
G & S                                                 $49,027
Barry Goodinson                               $1500.
Augie Paculdar                                $4089.21
Barry Goodinson                              $4500
Augustin Paculdar                            $2347.
Barry Goodinson                               $3000
Torie Osborne                                  $7500
Luke Adams                                      $750.
Romash                                           $7500
C & S                                          $1550.30
                                                   $3573.18
                                                          $750.
                                                     $882.63
E U Services                                $1607.
                                                       $5881
                                                        $1612
 
                       FOR A TOTAL OF $284,151.51 (m/l)

CONTRIBUTIONS TO 
CANDIDATES AND COMMITTEES
                                                       $39,250

A total of $38,250 was divided among the following candidates for congress
and senator.  Morella, Sanchez, Gantt, P Kennedy, Alioto, Fazio, Zbur,
Navarro, McKinney, Ward, Williams, McGovern, Delahunt, Stabenow, Rivers,
Pascrell, McCarthy, Mack, Reed, Coppersmith, Quigley, Baird, Bruggere,
Curtis, Smith, Capps, Ward, Furse, Torricelli, Durbin, Harken, Hinchey,
Hooley, McBurney, Blagojevich.  To PACS advocating or promoting a Democratic
Party majority, Sheridan's organization donated the grand total of $1,000.

Copys of the report are available from ACT UP Washington

Sheridan also receives huge lobbying $$$$$ from AIDS organizations.  More on
that later.