Subject: is PallottaGate really TanquerayGate!!!
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:31:59 -0400 (EDT)

Some interesting bits of AIDSRide information obtained in the last few
days...

Tanqueray is continuing the Pallotta lie about the funds received by
Philadelphia AIDS organizations.   PR material sent to DC's Circle Bar claim
that $420,000 went to Philly groups, yet  The Philadelphia Gay News reports
that the director of ActionAIDS said,  "The company received our
audit...bringing the final figure down to $260,700.  It seems that Tanqueray
and Pallotta mislaid $160,000 that should go to direct services in
Pennsylvania.

Tanqueray is taking credit for providing"thousands more meals for homebound
people with AIDS in Washington."  Yet in going over the financial statement
of DC's Food & Friends it is clear that the increase in food services is
directly releated in an increase of funding through a  DC Agency for HIV and
AIDS contract (funding provided by the Metropolitan Washington HIV Health
Services Planning Council---Ryan White CARE Act).

Tanqueray claims that "a boycott staged by activists on unfounded claims that
the Ride was racist directly impacted rider recruitment"  Yet there is no
mention of Tanqueray's refusal to provide for an accounting of the millions
that they spend promoting themselves as our AIDS saviours.  

Tanqueray has over 8 people working AIDSRide PR full time.  The AIDSRide is
how Tanqueray sells its product.  Millions are spent on ads promoting the
liquor company's generocity.  Yet, Tanqueray refuses to disclose that they
have distributed less than 10% of their AIDSrelated pr budget to direct
services to  people with AIDS.

Tanqueray refuses to provide HIV positive activists a full and complete
accounting of their contributions to the AIDSRide or details of their
multi-million dollar "Team Tanqueray" merchandise concern.  

Banana Republic's contribution to AIDS is the purchase of $700,000 worth of
"Tanqueray" shirts that riders are required to wear on the last day of the
ride.  We have no clue how this benefits people with AIDS in any way, shape
or form.

No official with Tanqueray or Pallotta has been willing to disclose how much
of the multi-million dollar merchandise contract actually trickles down to
people with AIDS.

Tanqueray also distributes
Dewar's Scotch Whiskey
Hennessy Cognac
Johnnie Walker Scotch Whiskies
Moet & Chandon Champagnes
Grand Marnier Liquers
Chandon California Sparkling Wines
Pinch Scotch Whiskey
Ruffino Italian Wines
Tanqueray Sterling Vodka
Simi California Wines
Casa LaPostolle Chilean Wines
Royal Lochnagar Single Highland Scotch
The Classic Malts Scotch Whiskey

Demand a fair pour for people with AIDS!!!

for more information contact 
Steve Michael at 
ACT UP Washington at 202.547.9404