Subject: Ride questions keep adding up
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:50:58 -0400 (EDT)

Groups pulling out
of the AIDS Ride
Questions continue about Pallotta and Tanqueray's profit margin
 AIDS activists continue to press for a full accounting of the proceeds
raised by the Tanqueray AIDS Ride amid increasing concerns that 40-80% of the
funds generated go to the California for profit corporation, Dan Pallotta's
Teamworks, Inc., which produces the bike-a-thons in several cities across the
country.  The DC Tanqueray AIDS Ride begins today in North Carolina and will
finish in Washington this Sunday.

 In an article in the Thursday, June 19, 1997 Richmond Times-Dispatch,
officials with several AIDS service organizations in Virginia and North
Carolina admitted that they are reluctant to sign on to the Tanqueray AIDS
Ride after reports that groups in Florida and Philadelphia received less than
20% of the funds raised, after paying considerable up front costs and
promoter's fees.  Richmond's Fan Free Clinic would have to pay Pallotta's
Teamworks $37,500, approximately 8% of its total budget, in seed money in
order to participate in next year's ride.

 AIDS activists, including ACT UP in Washington, DC, have asked Pallotta
Teamworks and its chief corporate sponsor, Tanqueray Gin, for a full public
accounting of the Tanqueray AIDS Rides. Pallotta Teamworks, claims that it
has grossed more than $51 million, yet, as a for profit corporation, is not
subject to financial disclosure.  

 "Pallotta states that an average of 57% of the money raised goes to AIDS
services, but there's no way to substantiate that claim.  We know of at least
two cities where the figures were less than 20%, so my question is, show me
the cities where AIDS charities received 80%." states ACT UP Washington
spokesperson Steve Michael, who is HIV positive.

 An editorial appearing in the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel on May 18 echoes
the concerns of AIDS activists, "People who might willingly contribute to the
fight against AIDS will be less likely to do so if they suspect that most of
the money they donate is destined to wind up in a promoter's pocket."

 Many activists have been urging prospective donors to contribute directly to
AIDS organizations.  "After paying up front costs, promoters fees and other
expenses, the Tanqueray AIDS Rides drain money that could be going to direct
services for people with AIDS." adds Michael.

for more information contact
ACT UP Washington
at 202.547.9404