Subject: A fundraising plea from ACT UP Washington
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 10:40:14 -0400 (EDT)

please re-post, publish and distribute!!!
A plea to for funding!!!
ACT UP Washington needs your help!  We need to raise several thousand dollars
to cover operating expenses for the next two months, including rent on our
workspace/headquarters, an overdue phone bill, and getting the ACT UP
Washington hearse out of car jail.  As the only AIDS advocacy organization in
the nation's capital that receives no government funding, ACT UP Washington
has been an effective voice for people living with HIV/AIDS, demanding action
to end the AIDS epidemic.  

ACT UP Washington's swift response to President Clinton's anouncment for an
HIV prevention vaccine appeared in national media outlets, including the New
York Times, the Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune, and
major broadcast networks.  By highlighting the lack of resources behind the
project that Clinton likened to landing an American on the moon, ACT UP
Washington is keeping the pressure on federal officials to mobilize this
country's resources to develop a cure for AIDS, and demanding access to
treatments that help keep people with AIDS alive.  

ACT UP Washington has long used the Apollo Project analogy for an all-out
coordinated research effort to find a cure for AIDS.  Last year, ACT UP
Washington aired television commericals during the New Hampshire Presidential
Primary featuring footage of the moon landing, calling upon Clinton to keep
his promise for an AIDS Cure Project.  

ACT UP Washington has been on the forefront demanding that President Clinton
lift the federal funding ban for needle exchange programs, which would
prevent countless new HIV infections.

You can help maintain the strong, consistent voice of AIDS activism in the
Nation's Capitol by making a much needed contribution to ACT UP Washington,
409 H Street NE, Washington DC 20002.  Thank you.  Call 202.547.0854

Until there's a cure available to all, there's ACT UP