Subject: ACT UP targets Fauch Faircloth for defeat in '98
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 19:32:50 -0500 (EST)

ACT UP for DC!!!
for immediate release   March 3, 1997
contact Steve Michael at 202.547.6780   or 202.253.8426
Activists respond to Faircloth's opposition to rights for DC Voters
Time for a "Lauch-out"
ACT UP DC to lead effort oust Senate DC Committee head!!!
 Community activists in the District of Columbia will announce plans hold a
town meeting to target for defeat North Carolina Republican Senator Lauch
Faircloth, who is up for reelection next year.  As the head of the Senate
Appropriations subcommittee on the District, Faircloth has taken a slash and
burn approach to Democracy in the nation's capital, discussing his plans to
eliminate locally elected officials with a congressionally imposed
'city-manager' government.  

 In the District, where over a half a million US citizens have no
Congressional representation, the prospect of losing the last vestiges of
home rule has alarmed local activists.  States Steve Michael, an AIDS
activist who is running for a vacant seat of the DC Council representing the
Capitol Hill area of Washington (War Six), "If the other evil Senator from
North Carolina wants to destroy what little democracy we have left here in
the District, then we fully intend to go down to North Carolina and derail
Faircloth's reelection."

 Faircloth railed against home rule in the District in an article in the
Washington Post March 3, "There are many privileges of living in the capital
of the US.  Voting for mayor simply won't be one of them.  If that bothers
you, you need to move."   

 DC residents cannot vote for senators or congress members, yet the US
Congress maintains ultimate control over District affairs under the 1975 Home
Rule charter.  

 Faircloth, who made the bulk of his fortune in hog farms and auto
dealerships, has outraged DC activists.  "Since we don't have Senators of our
own to vote for, it's clear we need to get actively involved in a campaign to
oust Faircloth."

 Activists will be holding a town meeting in the coming days to discuss plans
and strategies surrounding the upcoming North Carolina Senate Campaign.
"Expect hundreds of Washingtonians criss-crossing North Carolina in the
coming months, holding vigils, sit-ins and pickets at Faircloth strongholds,"
notes Michael. Michael also dismisses Faircloth's attacks on DC Mayor Marion
Barry as politically motivated.  "The senator is trying to win re-election by
appealing to the most conservative elements of his home state.  How dare
Faircloth attempt to punish the residents of the District of Columbia for
electing Marion Barry.  

Washingtonians have not held North Carolinians responsible for their support
of Jesse Helms or Lauch Faircloth---yet!" states Michael. 
 "DC residents have fought and died in wars.  DC residents pay taxes.  Yet DC
residents don't have a hog farmer Senator to channel pork barrel projects
into the District.  It's time we toss out the overseers." concludes Michael.
 
Among the activities already planned are...
*  Over 20 DC voters have already agreed to participate in a series of zaps
and protests during a three day period in North Carolina later this
month---the goal is to focus the attention of North Carolina voters
Faircloth's anti-Washington resident attitudes.  Michael, a veteran of
campaign trail organizing as part of ACT UP's successful Presidential
Project, has been in contact with organizers in North Carolina to help
coordinate the anti-Faircloth campaign. Using the aggressive tactics of ACT
UP promise to make the 1998 North Carolina United States Senate race
interesting indeed.

*  The formation of LAUCH-OUT-PAC to raise funds to defeat Faircloth in the
1998 election.

*  A DC Town Meeting to focus local attention on the need to kick Faircloth
out of the Nation's Capitol. Location and time to be determined

*  Activists are also considering running a challenger to Faircloth in the
1998 Republican Primary.  Imagine TV commercials in North Carolina exposing
the hateful Faircloth record.  

*  Activists will also be searching the Faircloth files at the Federal
Election Commission.  

to join the war against the other bigot from North Carolina contact ACT UP at
202.547.6780 or 253.8426
email [email-masked]
ACT UP Washington
The AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power.