Subject: DC Bar Attack-Calling on Cohen to investigate
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 07:32:04 -0400 (EDT)

The AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power
ACT UP Washington DC
409 H Street NE
Washington, DC 20002
202.547.9404

Secretary William S. Cohen
US Department of Defense
1000 Defense, The Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301-1000    July 15, 1997

Dear Secretary Cohen:

 On Saturday, July 12, 1997, a Gay bar located six blocks from the United
States Capitol, Remingtons, was the target of a vicious attack in which a
tear gas canister was tossed into the premises by unknown assailants.
 Preliminary reports indicate that the canister was of military origin, and
eye witness accounts identify the perpetrators as having the appearance of
military personnel.  

 The US Marine Barracks, located nearby at 8th and I Streets in Southeast
Washington, DC has been the origin of anti-Gay violence in the past, with a
Gay bashing incident in 1991 leading to mass demonstrations.  Apparently, the
Gay community living here in the nation's capital is once again subject to
the homophobic violence of the US military.

 To date, no arrests have been made.  Many lack confidence in the military's
ability to investigate and prosecute anti-Gay violence.  It took the tireless
work of Gay activists like Michael Petrelis to insure the court martial, and
ultimate conviction, of Terry Helvy, in the murder of Gay sailor Alan
Schindler.  
 Given the ongoing persecution against Lesbian and Gay service members under
President Clinton's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy, activists have every
reason to be pessimistic.   

 We call upon you, Secretary Cohen, to personally direct an investigation
into the possible US military involvement in the tear gas attack on a DC Gay
bar.  Anti-Gay violence should not be tolerated within the US Department of
Defense, and will not be tolerated by the residents of the District of
Columbia.  
 
      Sincerely yours,

      Wayne Turner and Steve Michael
      ACT UP Washington, DC

cc:
President Bill Clinton
Service Members Legal Defense Network
Chief Larry Soulsby, Metropolitan Police Department
Mayor Marion Barry