Subject: ACT UP Washington asks for investigation of DC AIDS Ride
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 15:10:43 -0400

ACT UP WASHINGTON sent the following letter to the United States Attorney for
the District of Columbia asking for an investigation of the DC portion of
Eric Pallotta's AIDS Ride

Note to editors:  Copies of varius letters to the editor and news accounts of
the AIDS Ride are available upon request.

The Honorable  Eric H. Holder, Jr.
United States Attorney
for the District of Columbia 
555 4th St NW
Washington, D.C. 20001

Dear Mr. Holder,
 It has come to our attention that the recent Philadelphia to  Washington DC
AIDS Ride organized and promoted by a for-profit public relations firm,
Pallotta and Associates, has yet to distribute any of the millions of dollars
raised by Washington area residents donated to fight AIDS.
 This organization, and the ride are currently under investigation by
Pennsylvania Commonwealth Attorney General, Thomas Corbett.  
 Enclosed are news reports that appeared in the July 26th edition of PGN
(Philadelphia Gay News), July 21st issue of the Philadelphia Inquirer and the
July 23rd edition of AuCourant.  The reports are of grave concern to the many
Washington area residents who have contacted ACT UP.   
 Those figures (in the reports) indicate that less than 10% of the funds
raised in Philadelphia will go to that city's AIDS organizations. That is
unacceptable. 
 While we are not specifically accusing Pallotta and Associates of any
wrongdoing, we question their record across the country 
   Therefore, ACT UP Washington is asking the United States Attorney's office
to launch an investigation into the Philadelphia/DC AIDS Ride.  Hundreds of
individuals throughout Washington, DC devoted their time, effort and energy
to raise money for AIDS services.  They did it for the people with AIDS that
are clients of Food-n-Friends and Whitman-Walker Clinic, not for the personal
benefit of a California-based private, for-profit business.
 Your prompt attention to this matter is appreciated.

Sincerely yours.

Steve Michael
Chair, Co-ordinating Committee
ACT UP Washington

cc: Mayor Marion Barry, Jr.
 Councilmember Linda Cropp
 Jim Graham, esq.
 Craig Shniderman
 Eric Pallotta
 various media

825 5th Street, NE, Suite A
Washington, DC  20002
202.547.6780
fax 202.547.6782
e-mail ACTUP [email-masked]