Subject: Clinton zapped by activists at DC's Union Station
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 16:42:16 -0500

AIDS Activists give Clinton Christmas Jeer
Hey Bill...
"Your AIDS Plan... It's a sham"
(Washington, DC-December 22, 1996)- AIDS activists from the group ACT UP in
Washington, DC surprised President Clinton while he was Christmas shopping
today at Union Station.  Shouting chants "Your AIDS plan,  it's a sham" and
"Shame," ACT UP members 'ambushed' the President in a noisy, spontaneous
protest as he emerged from a staged, photo op shopping trip.

 Earlier this week, ACT UP leaked a copy of Clinton's national AIDS strategy
plan, which has been widely criticized as a weak rehash of previous
recomendations with no specific strategy or agenda.  Clinton failed to appear
with the chair of his HIV/AIDS Adivsory Committee, Dr. Scott Hitt, and his
low level AIDS policy coordinator Patsy Fleming, and has refused to take
reporters questions regarding the so called 'AIDS Plan.'

 ACT UP member Steve Michael displayed a sign with Clinton's picture with the
caption "Clinton's AIDS Policy -- Lip service and Lies."  Michael's partner,
Wayne Turner held a sign reading "AIDS Cure Now" as they angrily shouted at
the President.

 Activists noted that Secret Service agents were handpicking people from the
crowd of onlookers to enter a restricted area of Union Station to meet with
the President.  Comments Michael, "Its disgusting that the Secret Service,
duty bound to protect the President's life, has been reduced to staging
photo-ops."  Michael added that young, blond women were specifically
selected.  

 Nevertheless, the AIDS activists came within about 10 feet of the President,
their angry chants echoing in the station's archways.
 Adds ACT UP member Wayne Turner, "Clinton shops while people with AIDS drop.
 Clinton has made it clear that he has no intention of making the fight
against AIDS a top priority of his second term."

 The ACT UPers say it was no coincidence that they were at Union Station the
same time as the President.  "The news reported that Clinton was going
Christmas shopping this afternoon.  We picked the nearest mall with a
McDonald's"

The AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power
ACT UP Washington DC

825 5th Street NE Suite A
Washington, DC 20002
phone 202.547.6780