Subject: Senator opposed to Ryan White $$$ gets Peta Award!!!
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 14:25:57 -0500

contact Steve Michael or Wayne Turner at 202.547.6780
MEDIA ADVISORY:  Gay and Lesbian entertainers join animal rights terrorists
in giving "Humanitarian Award"  to Senator with abysmal AIDS record

ACT UP Washington to Peta... Dump Senator Bob Smith...
or it's War!

Washington, DC -- A 'Humanitarian of the Year Award' being given to Senator
Bob Smith (R, NH) by the animal rights group Peta has drawn angry criticism
from AIDS activists.  Senator Smith, a staunch opponent of AIDS funding, is
one of three US Senators who voted against the Ryan White CARE Act earlier
this year.  The Ryan White Care Act  provides emergency relief for the
treatment and care of poor people with AIDS. 

 The AIDS advocacy group ACT UP in Washington DC called Peta's award to Smith
the ultimate insult to people with AIDS everywhere.  States ACT UP
spokesperson Steve Michael, who is HIV positive, "Bob Smith is one of the
most hateful men to ever walk the halls of the US Senate.  Smith's record on
AIDS makes him the Jesse Helms of the North."

 The arch-conservative Senator from New Hampshire will be joining other
awardees including Gay and Lesbian entertainment figures Ellen Degeneres,
Martina Navratilova and Sandra Bernhard at a Gala fundraiser for Peta to be
held in Los Angeles on December 14.  Noted Liberals like Woody Harrelson,
Paul & Linda McCartney, Mary Tyler Moore Alec Balwin and Oliver Stone will
also be participating in the ceremony honoring Smith.

 According to Michael, "ACT UP is calling upon Peta to withdraw the
"humanitarian' award to Smith, and is demanding that all entertainment
figures in attendence repudiate Smith and his virulent opposition to AIDS
treatment, prevention, and care."

 "You can't wear a red ribbon and honor the public enemy No. 2 to people with
AIDS (behind Jessee Helms of North Carolina)." adds Michael.  He continues,
"Giving an award to Smith is an insult to People with AIDS everywhere.  We
will no longer tolerate the marginalization of our lives by an organization
that equates the lives of Gay men, injection drug users and African-American
women with rodents. . We consider Peta's support of Smith as a declaration of
war against all of us with HIV and AIDS."

 Michael, who also sits on the DC area Ryan White Planning Council, and
chairs it's Fiscal Oversight Committee concludes by saying, "If Bob Smith had
his way,  DC's poor people with AIDS would be denied access to AIDS drugs,
housing, shelter and health care .  It is hypocritical to honor such man as a
humanitarian." 

 Earlier this year, ACT UP confronted animal rights groups over the use of
laboratory animals for medical research.  Animal rights extremist supported
by Peta have broken into, burned and destroyed AIDS research facilities.

 ACT UP's Wayne Turner notes that "many of the Hollywood celebrities that
plan to attend the Peta/Smith awards are Gay or Lesbian closet cases.  Ellen
DeGeneres and Sandra Bernhard should be ashamed of themselves.  By honoring a
monstor like Senator Bob Smith, they are mocking the suffering of people with
AIDS."

NOTE:  ACT UP LA plans creative activities at the Peta/Smith event.  

Following is a list of individuals that will be honoring Jesse Helms of the
North

Hosts
Kim Basinger and Alec Baldwin

Masters of Ceremonies
Bill Maher and Kevin Nealon

Lifetime Achievement
Paul and Linda McCartney

1996 Humanitarian Awards
Senator Bob Smith
Ellen DeGeneres
Nina Hagen
The Paul Harvey Family
Congressman Andy Jacobs
Congressman Tom Lantos
Mary Tyler Moore
Oliver Stone
Sir John Gielgud
Woody Harrelson
Chrissie Hynde
Ricki Lake
Todd Oldham
Christy Turlington

Jennie Garth
Martina Navratilova
Tatjana Patitz
Robert Sebree

Sandra Bernhard
Boss Models
Tanou Collart
Rodney Dangerfield
Kimberly Silverstone
The Tunnel Club

also attending will be  Grace Slick, Rod Stewart, Elle Macpherson, Elvira,
Clint Black, Ed Begley, Jr.

ACT UP Washington calls on all persons in attendance to call on Peta to
withdraw their award to Senator Smith.   What will they do when Smith goes to
the podium to speak????  How can anyone who wears a red ribbon applaud
Smith????

The AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power
ACT UP Washington DC
825 5th Street NE Suite A
Washington, DC 20002
December 10, 1996