Subject: Sign up on the Consnesus Letter 4 Animal Model Research
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 14:27:32 -0400

to contact ACT UP Washington call 202.547.6780
fax signed consensus statement to 202.547.6782
e-mail to this address

ACT UP Washington is asking individuals and organizations with an AIDS focus
to sign on to the following consensus statement that has already been
approved by;

ACT UP's East Bay,Golden Gate Washington, DC
AIDS Action Baltimore, AIDS Action Council
AIDS Community Research Consortium, AIDS Project Los Angeles
AIDS Research Alliance
Americans for Democratic Action
American Medical Students Association
American Psychological Association
AmFar, American Foundation for AIDS Research
Cities Advocating Emergency AIDS Relief Association
Critical Path AIDS Project
Healing Alternatives Foundation
Gregory Karg
FDA, Division of Antiviral Drug Research
Cleave Jones, Names Project
Log Cabin Republicans
National AIDS Treatment Advocacy Project
NAPA (National Assn. of People With AIDS
National Black Women's Health Project
The National Latino/Latin Lesbian And Gay Organization
PAW Health Group, NYC
Project Inform
San Francisco AIDS Foundation
Treatment Action Group
University of California, San Francisco

CONSENSUS STATEMENT ON THE USE OF LABORATORY ANIMALS IN HIV/AIDS RESEARCH AND
TREATMENT

 Continuing progress in the treatment of HIV/AIDS, and its ultimate cure,
will occur largely as the result of advancements in bio-medical and
behavioral research.  The development of procedures and therapies that fight
the effects of HIV/AIDS and prolong the lives of those who are infected, and
development of vaccines and microbiocides to prevent the transmission of HIV,
all depend greatly on the freedom of scientists, researchers and physicians
to conduct basic and applied research.
 Today, that freedom is under attack.  Some animal rights advocates are now
vigorously pursuing an agenda that would completely end the use of animals in
research - especially in biomedical research.  Experts agree that the current
level of activity by some animal rights advocates to block or disrupt
research that utilizes animals is unprecedented in medical history, and poses
an increasing threat to research in AIDS, Alzheimer's disease, cancer and
other life-threatening illnesses.
 Certainly, the members of the HIV/AIDS community support the compassionate
treatment of animals.  We also demand that humane care of animals be used in
all research, including full enforcement of applicable federal, state and
local laws.  However, one fact is undeniable: the swiftest and most certain
route to a cure for HIV/AIDS is intensive research - including the use of
laboratory animals - and from that route we will not waver.
 We also support, as does the scientific community, the employment of
research techniques that reduce or replace the need for animal testing
whenever possible.  But, for much of the HIV/AIDS reset conducted today, the
use of animals is absolutely critical.  We believe that animal studies are a
necessary complement to clinical studies in humans.  In fact, every drug
presently employed to treat HIV-infection and the opportunistic infections
that kill most people with HIV were due developed using animals.  Many other
compounds, which seemed extremely promising in computer models and in vitro,
were proved to be extremely toxic in animal models.  Finally the animal model
was essential in the development of PMPA which prevents Simian
Immunodeficiency Virus (SIV) infections in macaque monkeys when administered
days after exposure, and also prevents vaginal SIV infection when
administered in microbiocide form.  This research has provided invaluable
leads on the paths to a vaccine and a female-controlled preventative regimen.
 Therefore, for the foreseeable future, animal research is essential to
progress in the study, treatment and prevention of HIV/AIDS, including the
development of new approaches that may ultimately lead to a cure.
 Every day, millions of people with HIV/AIDS, here and around the world, hope
that basic advances in scientific research will save their lives.  We will
fight with all of our resolve to ensure that this day comes as soon as
possible.  And that requires the continuing access to all the necessary
constituents of bio-medical and behavioral research including animal testing.