Subject: Clinton set to betray HIV+ servicemembers
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 17:33:34 -0500

Note:  I have put this e mail list on a blind carbon copy thing for that
obvious scroll thing that makes it take so long for the message to be gotten
to.

ACT UP Outraged!

Clinton to betray HIV positive service members
 
 "We are outraged that President Clinton plans to sign a defense bill that
will force the discharge of service members who are HIV positive. This
president is killing us." States ACT UP Washington spokesperson Steve
Michael.
 At December's White House AIDS conference, Clinton vowed to fight
discrimination against people living with HIV.  During the 1992 campaign,
Clinton promised to implement sound AIDS policies based upon "Science, not
hysteria."  The President's actions are not consistent with his rhetoric.
 From Clinton's failure to launch a Manhattan-style research project, to the
firing of Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders, Bill Clinton has demonstrated a
consistent policy of selling out people with HIV and AIDS.
 Clinton signed a similar measure into law in 1993, banning the immigration,
and mandating the deportation of people living with HIV, as well as
restricting the travel of HIV+ foreign nationals.
 In 1992, then Governor Bill Clinton promised to end discrimination based on
HIV status in all parts of the  federal government, including the military.
 If the breaks that pledge by signing the $265 billion defense bill, his
record on AIDS-related discrimination will rival the record of Ronald Reagan.
 Steve Michael of ACT UP Washington comments, "This signature will have real
consequences for the more than eleven hundred HIV positive service members.
 Service members that volunteered to defend this nation and it's people will
now be subjected to Clinton approved, HIV-related discrimination.  American
soldiers will lose their jobs, lose their health care, and will be deprived
of pensions, in essence their lives will be shattered by a hateful congress
and a spineless president.  Even Senator Sam Nunn opposes the measure.
 Bill Clinton knows better.  He vetoed an earlier version of this bill and
must do the same again.  When he vetoed the previous bill, his press office
immediately contacted members of the Gay press to tout President Clinton as a
friend of people with AIDS.  His staff included the HIV discharge provision
as one of the reasons for the veto.  It is clear that President Clinton has
no respect for the many HIV positive service members who have put their lives
on the line for this country. "
 "The Clinton cheerleaders over at the Human Rights Campaign Fraud, who
milked the 'Gays in the military' issue for every dollar it was worth, are
actually defending the Administration." States ACT UP's Wayne Turner.
 "HIV-negative, inside the Beltway politicos are more concerned about their
access to cocktail parties.  Clinton is destroying the lives of real people,
from the HIV immigration ban to the HIV military ban, with barely a murmur
from the boot licking Kapos at the national groups."
 Only the National Association of People with AIDS has publicly condemned
Clinton's act of signing of the HIV military ban into law.
 Turner adds, "Bill Clinton cannot continue to trample over the lives of HIV
positive Americans and expect the vote of those of us who are affected by
this disease.  His actions perpetuate the myth that HIV positive people
cannot function as productive citizens of this nation.  He is wrong and the
AIDS community will not forget his betrayal next November."  
 Michael concludes, "Bill Clinton is fond of saying - "If you work hard and
play by the rules (blah-blah-blah).  Well, eleven hundred HIV-positive
Americans in the military, worked hard, played by the rules and are about to
be  given the pink slip by their commander-in-chief.  Who would have believed
that a president that dodged the draft in the 70's would sign legislation
that forced American heroes to leave the service of their country in the 90's
."