Subject: Nine arresting calling for Presidential DOMA Veto
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 20:19:26 -0400

Nine arrested at White House Protest
===================================================
Activists call on President to Veto to so-called "Defense of Marriage Act"
===================================================
for immediate release
September 13, 1996
contact Steve Michael or Wayne Turner...
...at ACT UP Washington  202.547.6780

Washington, DC -- Nine Gay activists were arrested at the White House today,
September 13 1996, at a mid-day protest calling upon President Clinton to
veto the so-called 'Defense of Marriage Act,' which effectively prohibits Gay
and Lesbians couples from gaining legal recognition of their relationships.
 Clinton has promised to sign the bill, which was passed by the Senate
earlier this week by an 85-14 vote margin.  Similar protests were held today
across America, including New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle.

 "We will continue to stand up for Justice.  We call upon the President to
open his mind, show some courage, and not sign this terrible bill into law."
 States Rev. Mel White, a former Christian Coalition minister turned Gay
activist.  Rev. White has led a daily vigil and hunger strike for two weeks
preceding the Congressional vote.

 States Steve Michael from the AIDS advocacy group ACT UP, "It in
unconscionable that President Clinton will do the bidding of Pat Robertson
thinking it will win him more votes in November."  Michael, who is HIV
positive, was arrested with Wayne Turner, his partner of five years.   

 The event began with an open communion led by Pastor Candace Shultas of the
Metropolitan Community Church in Washington, DC.  "The communion is a
commemoration of Jesus' last meal before his arrest as a witness for
Justice." noted Rev. Ken South who also participated.

 The protesters unfurled a banner reading, "Veto 'DOMA' --Justice for God's
Lesbian and Gay children."  The US Park Police handcuffed the demonstrators
and led them to an awaiting police wagon.  The nine sang 'Going to the
Chapel' and 'Get me to the church on time' as they were driven to police
headquarters for processing.

 Those arrested include Rev. White, his partner Gary Nixon, ACT UP's Wayne
Turner and his partner Steve Michael, the owners of Lambda Rising bookstore,
Jim Bennett and his partner Deacon Maccubbin, Will Brennan, the Executive
Director of the National Association of Black and White Men Together, Rev.
Ken South of the AIDS National Interfaith Network, and Rev Harry Stock,
Pastor, Church of the Disciples.  The DOMA-9 were charged with demonstrating
without a permit, and were released.

 Many in the Gay community are angered by Clinton 'betrayals' on important
Gay and AIDS commitments, including a Manhattan-style project to find a cure
for AIDS, the lack of an AIDS Czar, the continued ban on Federal funding for
needle exchange programs, the 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy, and the firing
of Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders.  

 Adds Turner, "Bill Clinton shouldn't be degrading our loving, committed
relationships.  He should be taking notes."
 Michael concludes, "Four the entire four years of the Clinton Administration
our community has been   to endure one presidential flip-flop after another.
 I don't think it's too much to ask for this president to flip-flop our way,
just once.  Flip-Flop Now! Veto DOMA!"

NOTE TO EDITOR:  Associated Press  Photos of arrests are available