Subject: ACT UP Washington's 1996: The Year in Review
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 00:33:43 -0500 (EST)

ACT UP Washington
The Year in Review: 1996

What will it take to end AIDS?
"What should be done is not complicated.  But it requires leadership, a plan,
and the national resolve to implement it." 
From the Final Report,
National Commission on AIDS, October, 1993

Dear friends:  1997 promises to be another busy year, marking the 10th
anniversary of ACT UP's founding.  Here in Washington DC, we have a number of
exciting projects already underway, including a medical marijuana ballot
initiative, and the establishment of a national capitol workspace for AIDS
activists.  But first, we want to say thanks to the folks we've met and
worked with, especially those of you who have helped with a donation, a couch
to sleep on, and hitting the streets gathering signatures.  So here's an
overview of some of the work from the past year, from the snows of New
Hampshire and the streets of Chicago, to the White House gates.  Good health
in 1997!

Exposing the political  motivations of Clinton's  White House AIDS Conference
On December 6, 1995, more than three hundred AIDS activists braved freezing
temperatures calling on the President to keep his 1992  AIDS specific
campaign promises, presenting Administration officials with a 50 point plan
to save lives.  The President wore a neck tie decorated with red-ribbons at
the conference,  while his staff touted the event as "historic."  Using
extensive media contacts,  ACT  UP Washington successfully exposed the event
as nothing more than a reelection stunt.  

Making AIDS an issue during the New Hampshire Presidential Primary
(February 20, 1996)  ACT UP's Steve Michael ran as an 'AIDS Presidential
Candidate,' challenging President Clinton on the Democratic primary ballot in
New Hampshire.  Neal Dickerson, who died from AIDS this summer, helped
produce three 60 second television commercials which aired on New Hampshire's
ABC affiliate WMUR.  The ads called for an all-out war on AIDS, featured safe
sex information with two men kissing, and the first syringe cleaning
demonstration ever seen on TV.  ACT UP set up a media center in downtown
Manchester, coordinating a series of demonstrations and zaps of candidates.
 Steve was assaulted by Pat Buchanan supporters, and Wayne was seized by
Secret Service agents after disrupting a speech by Clinton in Manchester.
 Members of ACT UP Washington's Presidential Project managed to make AIDS an
issue during six of the last ten days before
 the New Hampshire Presidential Pri mary.  

...and then came a Landmark FCC ruling that protects the "same-sex" kiss
(October, 1996)  After New Hampshire's TV station WMUR pulled the 'Kissing'
and 'Needle' ads, attorney Josh Gordon with the ACLU filed a complaint with
the Federal Communications Commission on behalf of the Steve Michael
Presidential Campaign Committee.  In October, the FCC issued a landmark
ruling admonishing WMUR for censoring political advertising in a precedent
setting case.

AIDS Cure Campaign, '96
What a struggle to make AIDS an issue during the 96 election.  The Campaign
received considerable attention, ranging from the New York Times, CNN,
Detroit News syndicated columnist Deb Price, the Washington Post, and Steve's
appearance on the Phil Donahue Show.  Ann Northrop came on board as the
Vice-Presidential candidate of the AIDS Cure Party, who appeared with Steve
on the general election in Al Gore's home state Tennessee.  Many thanks go
out to those who helped in petition drives.  Out of over 200 presidential
candidates running nationwide, Steve and Ann came in 21st!  

Making Needle Exchange a Campaign Issue 
     ACT UP Washington launched a national media campaign calling for the end
of the federal funding ban for needle exchange programs.  We returned to New
Hampshire in July to support activists Dan Sundquist and Jon Parker, who were
put on trial for operating an underground needle exchange.  Clinton spokesman
Mike McCurry got caught in a lie when he told a reporter that the
Administration has never endorsed needle exchange.  ACT UP Washington had
furnished the White House press corps with a 1992 Clinton campaign newspaper
ad promising federal funding for needle exchange.

Making DC's Water Safe
for People with AIDS
     ACT UP Washington issued its own boiled water alert over the July 4
holiday weekend after high levels of bacteria and other contaminants were
detected in DC drinking water. That effort was necessary because DC's
Commissioner of Public Health Harvey Sloane succumbed to mayoral pressure to
withdraw his water alert to protect the tourist industry. ACT UP's water
alert was widely reported.  DC's Fox affiliate set up a debate between Steve
and Sloane, as tourists to the nation's capital were treated to newspaper
photos of sick people with AIDS boiling water at their stoves.   More than
100 people with  AIDS died in a similar outbreak of cryptosporidium in
Milwaukee in 1994.  ACT UP pushed for federal and local funds to purchase
filtration devices for low income people with AIDS in DC, which were
distributed in October.  ACT UP's water alert occured at a time when
representatives of most of the other DC-based AIDS organizations were in
Vancouver,preparing for the International AIDS Conference.  

ACT UP Chapters  takes on the
"Animal Liberation" World Congress
     In June, ACT UPs Washington and Golden Gate teamed up to defend AIDS
research from increasing attacks by animal rights extremists, including the
destruction of two University laboratories developing a treatment for
cryptosporidium, an incurable parasitic infection.  ACT UP actions during the
World Animal Congress, including the arrest of nine people with HIV/AIDS,
gained national network and front page coverage, including supportive
editorials in USA Today and the New York Post. 

"Humanitarian of the Year?"
      In December,  ACT UP Washington played a support role as members of ACT
UP LA coordinated a series of demonstrations outside Paramount Studios
against Hollywood celebrities animal rights terrorists.  Peta gave a
'Humanitarian of the Year' award to one of the Senate's staunchest opponents
of AIDS funding, Republican Senator Bob Smith (NH).  Reported in the Boston
Globe and Gay newspapers across the country, editorials appear denouncing
Peta and celebrity supporters for honoring the "Jesse Helms of the North

White House 'Lack of' Progress Report  leaked by ACT UP Washington
     In July,  a "Progress Report' drafted by the President's HIV/AIDS
Advisory Council was obtained and leaked by ACT UP Washington several days
before it was scheduled to be released by HHS Sec. Donna Shalala at the
International AIDS Conference in Vancouver.  Critical aspects of the report
were highlighted by reporters, keeping Administration officials on the
defensive.

Breaking the silence at
the Democratic Convention
     AIDS issues are highlighted in a week-long series of demonstrations and
zaps by ACT UP's Washington DC, LA, New York, Atlanta, and members of the
Chicago Recovery Alliance during the August Democratic National Convention.
 Activists focused upon the impact of welfare reform, support for needle
exchange, and the unfulfilled promise for a Manhattan-style project to find a
cure.  ACT UP signs featuring a skull and crossbones with the caption,
'Welfare Reform Equals Death - ACT UP' were the only AIDS-focused signs to
appear on the convention floor.  Following a disruption, ACT UP Washington
member Wayne Turner met with Vice President Al Gore. ACT UP members were told
time and time again by Democratic Party operatives at the Human Rights
Campaign as well as Domestic Policy Advisor Carol Rasco and Labor
Secretary-designate Alexis Hermann that a second Clinton term would fufill
the AIDS promises of the 1992 campaign.  ACT UP members remain skeptical. Had
 ACT UP not 'acted up,' AIDS would have been ignored by the party and the
administration.  

ACT UP Washington
gets a hearse! 
     ACT UP Washington, DC's Hearse made its debut in Chicago during the
Democratic  National convention.  The 1975 black and silver Cadillac hearse,
placarded with black and white reversal signs reading Silence=Death, Welfare
Reform=Death, and End AIDS on the back door circled the streets of downtown
Chicago as a visual reminder of the impact of the AIDS pandemic.  The ACT UP
hearse played an important logistical role in the 'hit and run' zaps of AIDS
activists, and has become a familiar sight on the streets of the nation's
capitol.  News footage of the hearse appeared on CNN and Fox news reports of
convention protests. 

Protesting 'DOMA'....
Clinton's midnight
bashing of Gay Americans
     Wayne and Steve, celebrating 5 years together, were among the "DOMA
Nine" protesters arrested at the White House in September calling for a
Presidential veto of the 'Defense of Marriage Act.'  Clinton signed second
class citizenship for Gays and Lesbians into law in the middle of the night,
sparking protests in cities across the country. The protesters unfurled a
banner reading;  "Veto 'DOMA' --Justice for God's Lesbian and Gay children."
 The US Park Police handcuffed the demonstrators and led them to an awaiting
police wagon.  The nine sang 'Going to the Chapel' and 'Get me to the church
on time' as they were driven to police headquarters for processing.  Those
arrested include Rev. Mel White, his partner Gary Nixon, ACT UP's Wayne
Turner and his partner Steve Michael, the owners of Lambda Rising bookstore,
Jim Bennett and his partner Deacon Maccubbin, Will Brennan, the Executive
Director of the National Association of Black and White Men Together, Rev.
Ken South of the AIDS National Interfaith Network, and Rev. Harry Stock,
Pastor, Church of the Disciples.  The DOMA-9 were charged with demonstrating
without a permit, and were released.  

ACT UP Demonstrations
during Quilt weekend
(October, 1996)  ACT UPs from across the nation teamed up for a series of
protests including a zap at Dole/Kemp National Campaign headquarters, 'Stop
drug company price gouging' at the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers
of America, 'Hands Around the White House" to end the HIV immigration ban,
and the Ashes Action remembering those who have died from AIDS.  Almost 1000
activists marched in a funeral procession on the White House, scattering over
the White House fence the ashes of two dozen persons who have died from AIDS.
 It took more than six months of negotiations with the Secret Service to pull
off the biggest AIDS protest yet at the Clinton White House.

Pressure from activists prod Clinton/Gore campaign to yank homophobic radio
ad
(October, 1996)  The President who signed the evil Defense of Marriage Act,
bragged about "upholding American values" in radio ads broadcast on Christian
radio stations.  Pressure from ACT UP Washington members and others,
including a full page newspaper ad in the Washington Blade criticizing the
spots, forced red-faced campaign officials to pulls the ads.

Wayne travels to Tennessee,
visits the home town of Al Gore
...opening salvo of AIDS Cure 2000!
(November, 1996)  Wayne drove the 1975 hearse down to Tennessee to campaign
for the AIDS Cure Party the weekend before the election.  A sixty second
radio commercial denouncing Clinton/Gore for signing DOMA aired in Al Gore's
home town of Carthage, ran ten times on the Christian radio station.
 Nashville's Fox affiliate aired the campaign's controversial 'Needle' and
'Kissing' ads uncensored, thanks to the FCC ruling ACT UP Washington members
vow to focus their efforts in the next four years toward Vice-President Al
Gore.  This trip to Tennessee in the ACT UP Washington Hearse is our opening
salvo in our campaign for a president with compassion around AIDS.  

Activists hold World AIDS Day Vigil
outside White House in driving rain
(December, 1996) Torrential rain did not deter supporters from ACT UP
Washington's annual World AIDS Day Candlelight Vigil across from the White
House.  Major networks and CNN led their World AIDS Day coverage with reports
that emphasized  ACT UP Washington's demand for a cabinet-level AIDS Czar, a
Manhattan-project to develop an AIDS cure, and lifting the federal funding
ban for needle exchange programs.

ACT UP Washington leaks Clinton's 'National AIDS Strategy'
(December, 1996)  A lunch break gave Steve the opportunity to slip into the
conference room and 'liberate' a copy of Clinton's National AIDS Strategy
Plan from the President's HIV/AIDS Advisory Council.  ACT UP Washington got
the jump on the White House by leaking the long-awaited plan two days early,
along with its own critique.  The press seized upon ACT UP's criticisms and
reviled the plan as a weak rehash of five year old recommendations. Virtually
all elements of the national media reported on the ACT UP leak and noted our
objections.  Among  the items excluded were any discussion of  the urgent
need for needle exchange programs.  The report ignored all the Clinton
promises from 1992.  There was no discussion of a Manhattan-style Project to
Cure AIDS and no plan to co-ordinate AIDS policy through the creation of a
cabinet-leval AIDS czar with the ear and shoulder of the president on a daily
basis.

Clinton's Drug Czar targets the sick and dying, assaults doctor-patient
relationship
     ACT UP takes on Drug Czar General Barry McCaffery, who announced a
campaign of intimidation and criminal prosecution of doctors who recommend
marijuana to their sick and dying patients.  Wayne got caught trying to sneak
into McCaffery's press conference, while Steve's comments denouncing the
crackdown appeared in national press, including the New York Times, the
Washington Post, and the Chicago Tribune.

Still no real, cabinet-level
Presidential AIDS Czar
     Obscure, low-level AIDS coordinator Patsy Fleming announced she will be
leaving the White House in February.  ACT UP Washington demands once again
the AIDS Czar position be upgraded to cabinet-level, circulating its own list
of replacements including former Connecticut Governor Lowell Weicker,
retiring Senator Mark Hatfield, Rep. Maxine Waters, or departing Washington
State Governor Mike Lowry.  ACT UP leaked a list of names under consideration
by White House officials, revealing that Clinton apologist Phil Wilson is
aggressively lobbying for the position, causing a minor uproar in the world
of AIDS.  Wilson, who spoke about AIDS during the Democratic National
Convention, admitted to being censored by campaign officials, and failed to
say anything substantive.  

Changing the way AIDS funds
are spent in DC
     Steve chairs the Fiscal Oversight Committee of the area's Planning
Council, which allocates federal funding for AIDS treatment and care.  After
late payments of federal AIDS dollars threatens the survival of local service
providers, Steve organized a series of meetings with top government
officials, which ultimately lead to the separation of AIDS funding from the
DC financial system.  People with AIDS continue their fight with bureaucrats
to put more money into direct services and end waiting lists for many
programs including AIDS Drug Assistance and food banks.

Clean the Mess at DHS, fund
AIDS services not careers 
     ACT UP Washington designed a state of the art needle exchange program in
a proposal rejected by DC's Department of Human Services (DHS) after a 10
month process.  After ACT UP filed a complaint with the contract Appeals
Board, five DHS supervisors were  fired or reassigned for 'procurement
irregularities'.  Ignoring ACT UP's protests, DHS bureaucrats imposed on-site
HIV testing in their requirements for needle exchange, wasting up to one
third of the grant, and dooming the program to failure. ACT UP members are
currently working to discover just what the 102 full-time-staff that work in
the Agency for HIV/AIDS do to fight AIDS. Over 72 full-time employees are
charged with HIV prevention work, yet DC leads all other states, territories
and possessions in new HIV infections