Subject: Sold Out (749 words)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 18:43:47 -0500

If you run this...please let us know.  Thanks Wayne and Steve

Sold Out!
 by Wayne Turner and Steve Michael
 ACT UP, Washington DC
 Presidential Project

 What is happening in Washington, DC when the White House is writing press
releases for the Gay community's supposed watchdog group the Human Rights
Campaign?  Marsha Scott, the Clinton Administration's heterosexual liaison to
the Gay and Lesbian community, circulated a memo to her 'friends' outlining
talking points to defend the President's decision to expel HIV+
servicemembers from the military.  Scott proposed a lobbying effort in
Congress to repeal the HIV military ban after Clinton signs it into law.
 This strategy would provide the Administration with sufficient political
cover by shifting the blame to Congress.  Scott's internal memo bears an
alarming resemblance to the Human Rights Campaign's press release.  DC
insiders have struck a deal.  The HRC is gearing up their fundraising machine
to turn the HIV military ban into their latest cash cow, while spokesperson
Daniel Zingale appeared on local news broadcasts exonerating Bill Clinton
from this latest act of betrayal to Americans living with HIV and AIDS.   
 AIDS is the one issue Bill Clinton has been consistent on - consistently
bad.  Three years ago, Clinton restricted travel for HIV+ persons and banned
immigration.  The same national groups did Clinton's damage control back
then, without regard for the real people the ban effects.  HRCF lavished
praise on Attorney General Janet Reno for suspending the travel restrictions
for people living with HIV during the Stonewall 25 events, but they never
publicly criticized the President for signing the HIV ban into law.
 Meanwhile, visitors to the US are forced to smuggle in their medications,
families are torn apart, and men and women continue to be deported because
they are HIV positive.
 Every time this President has faced heat on an AIDS issue, he has sold us
down the river.  From the firing of Surgeon General Elders to his failure
appoint a real AIDS Czar, launch the promised Manhattan/Apollo-project, and
implement the recommendation of the National Commission on AIDS, President
Clinton has been a consistent failure on AIDS.  
 The lives of people with AIDS have little improved under the Clinton
Presidency.  Events such as last year's White House AIDS conference fail to
translate into real policy.  The President who two months ago vowed to fight
HIV-related discrimination is now signing it into law.  The President who
wishes there were a cure refuses to initiate an AIDS Cure Project.  We're
forced to spend time, energy, and resources urging the President, who once
promised universal health care, to not bargain away the thirty year old
safety-net programs of Medicare and Medicaid.  It took a tremendous effort to
save HOPWA (Housing Opportunities for People with AIDS) from Administration
cuts.  
 Indeed, the only members of our community who have benefited under this
administration have been the handful of Gay appointees, whose jobs are touted
as proof of Clinton's commitment.  The Gay political establishment is so
mesmerized by their 'access' that a free buffet at Al and Tipper Gore's house
is announced as an historic advance for the movement.
 Clearly the cocktail party, we'll-defend-you-Bill-no matter-what-you do
strategy of million-dollar groups like the HRC has not yielded any tangible
successes.  It is unrealistic to expect any politician to deliver on
commitments without constant, unrelenting pressure.  Why deliver when you get
praised for doing nothing?  With the exception of our small, but fierce ACT
UP chapter, and the National Association of People with AIDS, there are no
advocates in Washington, DC willing to stand up to an Administration that is
literally getting away with murder.
 There are approximately 1200 dedicated and hardworking men and women in the
military whose lives are about to be destroyed, who will lose their jobs and
lose their health care, simply because they are HIV positive.  Their lives
are expendable to this President, and the Gay apologists who defend him.  
 That's why we are challenging Bill Clinton in New Hampshire and a handful of
other primaries.  People with AIDS matter.  Promises made to people with AIDS
matter.  
 This is an election year.  If holding Bill Clinton's feet to the fire on his
1992 AIDS promises makes him a better President on AIDS between now and
November, then it's strategy worth trying.  If Clinton continues lipservice
and betrayal on AIDS, we should consider writing off this President.  Our
scant resources would be better focused on electing members of Congress with
the backbone to stand up to the Bob Dornans of the world, rather than
reelecting a spineless President who continually stabs us in the back.  

Donations are urgently needed to put AIDS in the national spotlight in the
New Hampshire Primary.  Make checks payable to the 'Steve Michael for
President Campaign Committee.' 25 U Street NW, Washington, DC 20001-1010 or
call 202.986.0435 for more information.