Subject: More TV spots, zaps and actions in New Hampshire
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 01:42:44 -0500

AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power
for immediate release   February 14, 1995
contact Allen Ritter or Dan Sundquist at 603.625.1992

HIV+ AIDS activists to challenge GOP at Presidential Debate

ACT UP will confront all candidates during series of Action Tours

Activists to air Uncensored condom and needle TV spots

 Hundreds of AIDS activists from New Hampshire, Washington, New York and
Massachusetts will challenge the Republican candidates for president outside
the studios of WMUR TV in Manchester at 50 Phillippe Cote Street on Thursday,
February 15 at 6:00PM.

 "We will demand that the Republicans seeking to replace Bill Clinton in the
Oval Office fully fund the Ryan White CARE Act, create a
Manhattan/Apollo-style Project to cure AIDS and fully implement the
recommendations of George Bushes 1991 National Commission on AIDS," comments
Steve Michael, the HIV positive ACT UP member that is challenging Clinton in
several states.

 Dan Sundquist, a needle exchange advocate from Manchester adds, "We don't
have to wait until we are out of control regarding HIV infections among
injection drug users (IDU's), before we take preventative action, but that is
the position that the Granite State has taken." Sundquist and others will
demand that Bob Dole talk to his national campaign chair, Governor Steve
Merrill about the need for needle exchange for New Hampshire.

 "ACT UP members will be targeting and zapping candidates between now and
next Tuesday, demanding AIDS action, not promises.  We will confront all the
candidates from Pat Buchanan to Bill Clinton," states Michael.

 "The Michael campaign will also begin airing uncensored television
commercials on WMUR that focus on the proper use of condoms and instructions
on methods of cleaning syringes," states campaign organizer Allen Ritter.  He
continues, "Since President Clinton and  New Hampshire Governor Steve Merrill
refuse to provide Granite State youth with the tools they need to save their
lives, we will.  The commercials will be frank, open and honest.  They will
save lives."

 Michael emphasizes, "This is the third presidential campaign that ACT UP
members have focused on.  In the fifteen years we have been fighting this
war, over 300,000 Americans have died of AIDS.  More of us have died of AIDS
since Bill Clinton became president than during the first twelve years of the
epidemic. If the present trends continue another half-million Americans will
die before the 2000 presidential campaign begins."

 Adds Ritter, "We view this campaign as the last campaign for many of our
comrades in the war on AIDS.  Our actions over the next few days will take
that fact into consideration. 

 Concludes ACT UP's Wayne Turner, "Our lives depend on presidential
leadership.  Bill Clinton, Bob Dole and all the rest must marshal this
nation's resources to the goal of finding, funding, implementing and
delivering a cure for AIDS for the 30,000,000 infected people of the world."

 Times and dates, as well as vhs copies of the tv commercials call
 603.625.1992 anytime

ACT UP, Fight Back, FIGHT AIDS