Subject: ACT UP member has a meeting with Al Gore
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 11:37:57 -0400

ACT UP DNC MEDIA ALERT
Activists disrupt Vice-Presidential Speech
Gore meets with ACT UP member, pair discuss Manhattan Project and Needle
Exchange
for immediate release     August 29, 1996
contact ACT UP  at 202.547.6780 

 AIDS activists from ACT UP, the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power, disrupted a
morning speech by Vice President Al Gore at the final Democratic National
Convention's Women's Caucus meeting.  ACT UP members interrupted Gore,
charging that the Administration had failed to implement its 1992 commitments
on AIDS.

 ACT UP New York's Emily Gordon was the first to confront the Vice-President.
 She demanded answers to the recent Clinton signing of the Welfare Reform
Bill.  The half dozen activists displayed signs reading "Welfare Reform
Equals Death" and 'ACT UP" as they chanted "Shame" and "Keep your AIDS
promises."

 Secret Service agents seized ACT UP member Wayne Turner, 32, from Washington
DC, who was closest to the stage, and escorted him from the Grand Ballroom at
the Hyatt Regency Hotel.  As convention delegates shouted down the AIDS
protesters, staffers hastily arranged a meeting between Turner and the Vice
President, which lasted for about ten minutes.  

 In the meeting with Gore, Turner outlined campaign commitments made in 1992,
including the promised 'Manhattan-project' to develop a cure for AIDS,
support for needle exchange programs, a cabinet -level AIDS Czar to
coordinate a national response to the epidemic, and the deadly impact on
people with AIDS of the welfare reform measure signed by Clinton.

 "I told the Vice President that of all the millions of dollars spent on HIV
prevention, not one dime can go to a sterile syringe.  The President could
lift the federal ban on needle exchange funding today, just as the Centers
for Disease control has recommended.  Failure to do so is murderous." said
Turner.

 The Vice President assured the AIDS activist that those concerns would be
passed on the President.  Gore also said that a improvements were being made
in coordinating AIDS research efforts, though they have not been publicized.

 Turner was unimpressed by Al Gore's assurances.  "Clinton promised a
Manhattan-project for AIDS, yet it hasn't materialized.  According to Gore
its the best kept secret in Washington." added Turner.  "It takes more than
private assurances and a handshake. The AIDS epidemic demands real
leadership, real action."

 ACT UP chapters will continue to confront candidates demanding they address
AIDS issues.  "People with AIDS don't have time to wait until after the
election.  Federal support for needle exchange programs will save countless
lives.  Its up to Clinton to decide where his priorities lie." comments ACT
UP Washington spokesperson Steve Michael, who is HIV+. 

 Turner's partner Steve Michael is on the presidential ballot in Al Gore's
home state of Tennessee.  His Vice-Presidential candidate is ACT UP New
York's Ann Northrop.  The purpose of the campaign is to  highlight the
Clinton administration's failure to fulfill its 1992 AIDS commitments. 

Note to Editors:  We will be posting details of our other actions later this
week-end.  Among them were a picket outside a Hillary Clinton appearance,
zaps at Gay Delegate events,  Needle excahnge demonstrations, ACT UP
participation in the AIDS vigil in Grant Park, discussion of HRC's refusal to
deal with AIDS, info on AIDS speakers (their speeches were censored by party
officials) and a discussion between Steve Michael and Carol Rasco (Clinton's
Domestic Policy Advisory) as well as commentary calling on Mother's Voices to
get tough with Clinton.