Subject: OutRageous support for PETA!
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 07:35:06 -0400

The following are statements by OutRage! London and Peter Tatchell,
co-founder of ACT UP London, supporting the upcoming March For The Animals
and denouncing recent attacks on PETA by conservative elements in the ACT UP
movement.

As articulately pointed out, recent protests of the direct action tactics of
defenders of animal liberation by individuals of ACT UP Golden Gate and ACT
UP Washington are out of line with the militant Queer and AIDS activist
movement.

Members of ACT UP San Francisco join other Queer radicals in London and
across the U.S. in seeking an end to the abuse of animals.

ACT UP! Fight AIDS!

==========

OutRage! London
5 Peter Street
London W1V 3RR
Phone: 0171-439-2381
fax: 0171-439-3291

20th June 1996

The Queer rights direct action group OutRage! sends its official support and
solidarity to The March For The Animals on 23rd June 1996 in Washington DC.

We do not believe that the oppression of Queer people can or should be
remedied by the oppression of other peoples or species.

Even when faced with the horror of the AIDS epidemic, there can be no ethical
justification for colluding with the victimisation of living, thinking,
feeling creatures.

It is a moral outrage that in the name of stopping HIV, some people are
prepared to condone the willful infliction of suffering on sentient beings,
such as chimpanzees and monkeys, which clearly experience physical pain and
emotional distress as a result of HIV-related experiments conducted upon
them.

As Queer people who have suffered victimisation, we feel a special
responsibility to speak out for all animals, human and non-human, who suffer
violations of their dignity and rights.

Yours in solidarity,

Mariana Cronin
OutRage!

==========

Peter Tatchell
45 Arrol House
Rockingham Street
London, SE1 6QL
England, U.K.

20 June 1996

As a longtime AIDS activist and campaigner for Queer freedom, I extend my
wholehearted support to The March For The Animals in Washington DC on 23 June
1996.

We all want a cure and vaccine for HIV as soon as possible. But it cannot be
right to seek a remedy for HIV through the deliberate infliction of suffering
on other sentient species in laboratory experiments, especially when there
are cruelty-free alternatives and when research findings with other species
cannot be generalised to humans because of our vastly different physiology.

For Queers to demand an end to homophobic oppression while supporting the
oppression of other animals is selfish and hypocritical. Where's the moral
consistency in wanting freedom for ourselves but denying it to other
thinking, feeling creatures?

Like all authoritarians, the defenders of vivisection argue that 'the ends
justify the means'. The need to find a cure for HIV is so great, they say,
that the infliction of pain on other species is ethically justifiable.
However, if cruelty is excusable for the sake of the greater good, than the
logic of their argument is that it would be also justifiable to experiment on
humans. Obviously, it is not.

The denial of rights to other animals by humans (speciesism) is analogous to
the denial of rights to Queers by straights (heterosexism). Both these forms
of oppression derive from a prejudiced, chauvinistic mindset that devalues
'difference' and victimises 'otherness'. Neither has any place in a
compassionate, civilised society.

Non-human animals deserve to be spared suffering for the same reason that
Queers and people with HIV deserve to be spared suffering. All sentient
animals - human and non-human - have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit
of happiness, irrespective of their species, race, sex, class, disability or
sexual orientation.

Peter Tatchell

Peter Tatchell is the co-founder of ACT UP London and the Queer rights group
OutRage!, and author of AIDS: A Guide To Survival and Safer Sexy - The Guide
To Gay Sex Safely.