Subject: 11/9/96 DNCB support group!
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 00:49:53 -0400

NEVER MIND THE VIRAL LOAD NONSENSE!
STRENGTHEN YOUR BODY'S IMMUNE RESPONSE AGAINST HIV.
------------
Find out about the immune system, CD8s and how the inexpensive, non-toxic
treatment DNCB can strengthen your cellular immune response in the battle
against HIV.

DNCB (dinitrochlorobenzene) is a solution applied to the skin that, when used
regularly, boosts the cellular immune response resulting in increased numbers
of CD8 cytotoxic T lymphocytes (CTL) and natural killer (NK) cells. Studies
of long-term nonprogressors have demonstrated that they have strong cellular
immune responses with high levels of these protective immune system cells.

Virtually all opportunistic infections in AIDS are of an intracellular nature
and can only be controlled by cellular immunity; therefore it is important to
avoid antiviral therapies that compromise this protective arm of your immune
system. DNCB provides an inexpensive, non-toxic alternative that strengthens
cellular immunity in an effort to delay disease progression and onset of
O.I.s.

Join the monthly support group meeting of ACT UP San Francisco's DNCB
Treatment Group to find out more about boosting the cellular immune response
to fight HIV. 

--------------------

Saturday, November 9th from 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Park Branch of the SF Public Library
1833 Page Street
(between Cole and Shrader; one block from Haight Street. Accessible via the
7, 71, 33, 37 and N Judah MUNI lines.)

--------------------

For more information on cellular immunity or obtaining DNCB, call the DNCB
Treatment Group at (415) 954-8896. You can contact ACT UP San Francisco at
(415) 522-2907.

==========

DNCB
(DRG-0080)

MODE OF ACTION: Dinitrochlorobenzene (DNCB) is a contact sensitizing agent
that enhances the function of antigen-presenting cells (APCs) via induction
of delayed-type hypersensitivity. Topical application of DNCB was previously
shown to be safe in a small number of patients with early HIV disease. One
study has followed the clinical course and examined alterations of lymphocyte
subsets in the same group of patients over a longer period of time. The
researchers concluded that prolonged use of topical DNCB is associated with
stable clinical course in most patients, despite a significant decrease in
CD4 T-cells. Lack of disease progression is associated with a stable CD8 CD38
count, and may be related to a persistent increase in natural killer cells.
This increase is probably due to DNCB-induced delayed-type hypersensitivity
that may be beneficial in HIV disease. DNCB also appears to be effective in
the treatment of cutaneous Kaposi's angiosarcoma.

National Library of Medicine