Subject: CDC AIDS Daily Summary 11/18/96

From: "Flynn Mclean" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 11:25:21 -0500

AIDS Daily Summary 
                     November 18, 1996
     
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) National 
AIDS Clearinghouse makes available the following information as a 
public service only. Providing this information does not 
constitute endorsement by the CDC, the CDC National AIDS 
Clearinghouse, or any other organization. Reproduction of this 
text is encouraged; however, copies may not be sold, and the CDC 
National AIDS Clearinghouse should be cited as the source of this 
information. Copyright 1996, Information, Inc., Bethesda, MD

****************************************************** 
"HIV Co-Discoverer Opens Research Center" 
"Unconventional Wisdom: AIDS and Tolerance"
"In Irish Jail, Jets and Sharks Rumble Again" 
"Votes on Marijuana Are Stirring Debate"
"World Is Less Crowded Than Expected, the U.N. Reports" 
"AIDS Groups Receive Grants"
"An AIDS Memorial in Stanley Park"
"Ottawa Denies Krever Key Data"
"Full Japanese Hospital List Announced"
"Document Management Keeps CDC's Data Flow Healthy" 
******************************************************
     
"HIV Co-Discoverer Opens Research Center"
Washington Times--Metropolitan Times (11/18/96) P. C7
     The Institute of Human Virology, to be operated by AIDS 
researcher Robert Gallo, opens today in Baltimore.  The 
dedication will include two days of lectures by scientific 
leaders, including four Nobel laureates.  Maryland Gov. Parris 
Glendening and Baltimore Mayor Kurt Schmoke have promised the 
center, part of the University of Maryland system, $12 million 
over the next three years.
     
"Unconventional Wisdom: AIDS and Tolerance" 
Washington Post (11/17/96) P. C5; Morin, Richard
     Despite fears that AIDS would increase discrimination
against homosexuals, surveys have shown that Americans have 
become significantly more tolerant of homosexuality, partly 
because of the disease.  According to Stuart Michaels, director 
of the National Health and Social Life Survey at the University 
of Chicago, "AIDS brought homosexuality more and more into the 
public eye and provided people with a multiplicity of views on 
gay life and gay people."  Whereas in 1991, 76 percent of 
Americans surveyed said homosexual relations are "always wrong," 
only 61 percent felt the same way in 1996.
     
"In Irish Jail, Jets and Sharks Rumble Again"
New York Times (11/18/96) P. A8; Clarity, James F.
     Among the inmates participating in a performance of "West
Side Story" in a Dublin jail is John O' Hanlon, who plays a 
violent member of the Jets.  He relates that he was a heroin 
addict, and lost six of his friends to AIDS.  Three others, he 
says, are dying, but he appears not to be infected.
     
"Votes on Marijuana Are Stirring Debate"
New York Times (11/17/96) P. 16; Wren, Christopher S.
     The approval of proposals to allow the medical use of
marijuana in Arizona and California has sparked a wider debate 
across the country as advocates seek to pass similar initiatives 
in other states.  While supporters say the initiative allows 
patients with AIDS, cancer, and other serious illnesses to obtain 
pain relief, opponents contend that the measures will open the 
door to wider use of marijuana. Members of Community Anti-Drug 
Coalitions of America met with their representatives in Congress 
on Thursday while prosecutors and law enforcement officials from 
California and Arizona met with the nation's drug chief, Barry R. 
McCaffrey.  Ethan Nadelmann, an advocate of more tolerant drug 
policies, said further changes in policy to be sought will 
include making hypodermic needles available to stop the spread of 
HIV among drug users.
     
"World Is Less Crowded Than Expected, the U.N. Reports" 
New York Times (11/17/96) P. 3; Crossette, Barbara
     The world's population is growing at a slower rate than was 
expected just a few years ago, the United Nations reports, adding 
that the number of children being born each year has begun to 
fall sooner than expected.  Analysts credit family planning and 
other programs implemented in the 1960s and 1970s to give people 
more reproductive control.  Higher death rates in some areas also 
contributed to the population declines.  AIDS and wars have 
lowered life expectancy in Africa, and life expectancy has also 
decreased in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union.
     
"AIDS Groups Receive Grants"
Miami Herald (11/15/96) P. 2B
     Two Miami AIDS organizations have received grants from the
Levi Strauss Foundation.  The Food for Life Network, which 
delivers meals to 417 homebound AIDS patients in Dade County, 
received $25,000.  In addition, the University of Miami 
Department of Pediatrics' Project Cradle, which cares for mothers 
and children with AIDS, received a $20,000 grant.
     
"An AIDS Memorial in Stanley Park"
Toronto Globe and Mail (11/15/96) P. A23; Cernetig, Miro
     A decision by the Vancouver Parks Board to erect an AIDS
memorial in Stanley Park has sparked public outrage.  In a 
Toronto Globe and Mail commentary, Globe and Mail Vancouver 
bureau chief Miro Cernetig describes what others have written 
about the opposition.  One columnist, for example, said the 
arguments against the memorial were attributed in part to 
homophobia and in part to reluctance to put up monuments to 
disease.  Meanwhile, another writer, who supported the memorial, 
said the objections to it "are awash in senseless homophobia, 
even though AIDS is hardly a gay disease."
     
"Ottawa Denies Krever Key Data"
Toronto Globe and Mail (11/15/96) P. A1; Grange, Michael
     On the final day of evidence in the three-year-old federal 
inquiry into Canada's tainted-blood tragedy, a federal official 
announced that the government would not release 30 key documents 
about the incident.  The documents concern draft legislation that 
the federal government had considered to better protect the blood 
supply.  A letter was presented to the inquiry last fall 
suggesting that the federal government had such plans as early as 
1984.  The Canadian Red Cross did not begin testing its blood 
supply for HIV until November 1985, while blood suppliers in the 
United States and Australia began testing in April of that year.
     
"Full Japanese Hospital List Announced"
Lancet (11/02/96) Vol. 348, No. 9036, P. 1235; Gutierrez, Ed
     Japan's Council on Public Health has decided to publish a
list of 2,413 hospitals where HIV-tainted blood may have been 
used in the 1970s and 1980s.  Hiroshima officials were the first 
to respond, contributing 54 facilities to the list.  The Health 
and Welfare Ministry had initially released the names of seven of 
the 344 hospitals that may have used non-heat-treated blood 
products.  However, the Council on Public Health--an advisory 
body to the Health ministry--resolved in October to publish the 
complete list, because questions had been raised about the 
accuracy of reports from other hospitals.
     
"Document Management Keeps CDC's Data Flow Healthy" 
Government Computer News (11/04/96) Vol. 15, No. 28, P. 15; 
Jackson, William
     The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently
began using an electronic document management system as part of a 
two-year plan to integrate document management, correspondence 
control, and workflow management at the agency.  The Basis 
document management system, from Information Dimensions of Ohio, 
has been used by the CDC to manage library holdings for about 10 
years.  The system combines a text retrieval engine with a 
proprietary relational database that handles documents.  The CDC 
will use the system to access electronically generated documents, 
including publications and internal administrative documents.