Subject: CDC AIDS DAILY SUMMARY 11/09/94.
From: "JOHN FANNING, CDC NAC" <[email-masked]>

AIDS Daily Summary 
                      November 9, 1994
 
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) National AIDS
Clearinghouse makes available the following information as a public
service only. Providing this information does not constitute endorsement
by the CDC, the CDC Clearinghouse, or any other organization. Reproduction
of this text is encouraged; however, copies may not be sold, and the CDC
Clearinghouse should be cited as the source of this information.
Copyright 1994, Information, Inc., Bethesda, MD

************************************************************
"Seeking a Better Test of HIV Patients' Health"
"Lifeline: Eye Oil"
"Survey Faulty on HIV and AIDS Threat"
"Sociologist Was a Leader in Battle Against AIDS"
"AIDS Summit Accord to Back Condoms, Clean Syringes"
"Coonan Clinical Laboratories Inc. Announces FDA 510 (K) Approval
of Blood Sampling Device to Be Used in HIV Home Collection Kit"
"Isis CEO Describes Major Advances in Antisense Technology at 
Annual Meeting of AAPS in San Diego"
"Spanish Chastity Clubs Emerge as Foil to AIDS"
"An AIDS-Like Condition Induced in Baboons by HIV-2"
"Advancing New Therapies"
************************************************************
 
"Seeking a Better Test of HIV Patients' Health"
Investor's Business Daily (11/08/94) P. A6;  Lau, Gloria
     Oxigene Inc. announced Monday that it had completed the 
first-stage analysis of its blood test that measures the health 
of HIV patients' immune systems.  The colormetric test measures 
the ability of a person's DNA to repair itself.  The strength of 
the immune system is indicated by the color of the paper marker. 
Oxigene's test is unusual because it tests the immune system, 
where diseases can be identified earlier.
      
"Lifeline: Eye Oil"
USA Today (11/08/94) P. 1D;  Vigoda, Arlene
     The FDA approved Adatomed Silicone Oil for detached retina on 
Monday.  According to the agency, Adatomed treated 60 percent to 
70 percent of patients in U.S. and European trials.  It was 
deemed the most effective treatment for retinal detachments 
caused by cytomegalovirus retinitis, a condition common among 
AIDS patients.
      
"Survey Faulty on HIV and AIDS Threat"
Chicago Tribune (11/08/94) P. 1-12;  Freeman, William J.
     Research presented in the recent "Sex in America: A Definitive 
Survey" helped reinforce many myths and misinformation about HIV 
and AIDS, writes William J. Freeman, executive director of the 
National Association of People with AIDS, in a letter to the 
editor.  The number of HIV-infected Americans, for example, is 
suggested to be less than the widely cited figure of one million.
Freeman, however, points out that a recent report from the 
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 
at least 1 million Americans are infected.  Many researchers 
believe this figure to be conservative based on HIV testing each 
year.  The survey also stated "we are convinced that there is not
and very unlikely ever will be a heterosexual AIDS epidemic in 
this country."  In March 1994, the CDC reported that--for the 
first time--homosexual intercourse was not the leading cause of 
transmission.  As early as 1992, Freeman notes, the fastest 
growing category was heterosexual transmission of HIV.  A total 
of 9 percent of AIDS cases reported to the CDC are due to 
heterosexual contact.  Although progress has been made with HIV, 
Freeman says there is still much more to do in terms of 
education, prevention, and finding a cure.  "Misinformation from 
surveys like this push us two steps back for each one we make," 
he says.
      
"Sociologist Was a Leader in Battle Against AIDS"
Toronto Globe and Mail (11/08/94) P. A21
     Political and AIDS activist, sociologist, and educator George 
Smith died Sunday from complications from AIDS at the age of 59. 
During the late 1980s, Smith helped found AIDS Action Now! and 
the Community AIDS Treatment Information Exchange.  He was also a
member of various AIDS advisory committees and helped organize 
the AIDS Treatment Information Service, which will begin 
operating next year.  Smith is survived by his partner, his 
mother, and a brother.
      
"AIDS Summit Accord to Back Condoms, Clean Syringes"
Reuters (11/08/94);  Arieff, Irwin
     Organizers said Tuesday they anticipate that the Paris AIDS 
summit in December will produce a 42-country agreement advocating
condom use and sterile syringe distribution.  Dr. Bernard Debre, 
summit coordinator, described the accord to be signed on Dec. 1 
as "an extremely strong document."  A draft of the final summit 
accord has been agreed to in advance by representatives from each
participating country.  The organizers noted how this will be the
first summit to concentrate on political leaders instead of 
researchers, health care workers, and patients.  "AIDS will 
either be conquered everywhere or nowhere at all," they said.
      
"Coonan Clinical Laboratories Inc. Announces FDA 510 (K) Approval
of Blood Sampling Device to Be Used in HIV Home Collection Kit"
PR Newswire (11/08/94)
     The Food and Drug Administration has given 510 (k) marketing 
approval to Coonan Clinical Laboratories' (CCL) blood sampling 
device.  The disposable device is intended for use in CCL's home 
collection kit for testing for HIV antibodies.  With the approval
of the device, CCL can now submit its final PMA application for 
the whole home collection kit.
      
"Isis CEO Describes Major Advances in Antisense Technology at 
Annual Meeting of AAPS in San Diego"
PR Newswire (11/08/94)
     At the annual meeting of the American Association of 
Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS), Stanley T. Crooke, Chairman and
CEO of Isis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., outlined data showing that 
antisense drugs are therapeutically active in many animal models 
of disease and in human clinical trials.  Results from a Phase 
I/II clinical trial in which AIDS patients with 
cytomegalovirus-induced retinitis received ISIS 2922 demonstrated
that the drug halted retinitis progression in many of the 
participants.  Crooke also announced that Isis will begin Phase I
human clinical trials for ISIS 2302, an antisense oligonucleotide
that inhibits the expression of intercellular adhesion molecule-1
(ICAM-1).
      
"Spanish Chastity Clubs Emerge as Foil to AIDS"
Reuters (11/08/94);  Chonghaile, Clar Ni
     Both Mother Teresa of Calcutta and President Clinton have been 
suggested as honorary members of Spain's new chastity clubs.  "We
do not discriminate against anyone for their past, present or 
future.  We just want people who will defend our ideals," 
explained Marcos Gutierrez, founder of the first club in Granada 
in August.  The chastity clubs preach purity as a way to prevent 
AIDS and unwanted teen pregnancies.  Members of the club must 
promise to be celibate until marriage and then in marriage to 
remain faithful.  While Spain has one of the highest rates of 
contraceptive use in Europe, it also has the highest number of 
new AIDS cases and a large number of teen pregnancies.
      
"An AIDS-Like Condition Induced in Baboons by HIV-2"
Science (10/28/94) Vol. 266, No. 5185, P. 642;  Barnett, Susan;  
Murthy, Krishna K.;  Herndier, Brian G. et al
     A study was conducted in which six baboons were injected with the
UC2 strain of HIV-2.  Each of the baboons seroconverted  within 
six weeks and five became persistently infected.  Within 18 to 24
months after injection, three had CD4+ T cell loss.  At necropsy,
one baboon showed extensive circulation of the virus with 
follicular depletion in the lymph nodes, widespread fibromatosis 
involving lymphoid and nonlymphoid tissues, and lymphotic 
interstitial pneumonitis.  Other baboons were injected with UC14 
strain of HIV-2 and all have demonstrated persistent infection.  
The results show that persistent infection can be acheived and 
that some animals demonstrate AIDS-like symptoms.  The baboons 
provide a useful animal model for studying HIV and for evaluating
potential antiviral therapies.
      
"Advancing New Therapies"
American Medical News (10/17/94) Vol. 37, No. 39, P. 14
     The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
has implemented a four-year program to speed up development of 
HIV therapies.  Under the program, six teams of researchers 
received $6.2 million for the first year.  They will direct their
efforts at gene therapy, immune-system restoration, and 
therapeutic vaccines based on DNA.  Clinical trials are due to 
begin no later than the third year.  Anthony S. Fauci, director 
of NIAID, said, "This effort is crucial because currently 
available anti-HIV drugs only partially and temporarily suppress 
replication of the virus, and their use is hampered by toxicity 
and drug resistance."