From: "ANNE WILSON, CDC NAC" <[email-masked]>

AIDS Daily Summary
                      November 15, 1993 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) National AIDS
Clearinghouse makes available the following information as a public
service only. Providing this information does not constitute endorsement
by the CDC, the CDC Clearinghouse, or any other organization. Reproduction
of this text is encouraged; however, copies may not be sold, and the CDC
Clearinghouse should be cited as the source of this information.
Copyright 1993, Information, Inc., Bethesda, MD

"N.Y. Wrestles With Bill to Identify AIDS Babies" 
Washington Times (11/15/93) P. A3  (Roskey, Colin T.) 
     Children's health concerns clashed with the privacy issue  
recently in New York State, leaving a proposal to identify  
HIV-infected newborns in a deadlock.  New York and 44 other  
states anonymously test newborns to help health officials track  
the AIDS epidemic.  But an infant with HIV could have only been  
infected by its mother, which means that the mother is infected  
as well.  Consequently, New York Assemblywoman Nettie Mayersohn  
introduced legislation to mandate notification of mothers whose  
newborns have tested positive for the AIDS virus.  Opponents  
insist that the proposal equals mandatory AIDS testing, which  
contradicts the New York law requiring written consent.   
Supporters counter that, because of recent advances in treatment  
that can significantly prolong the lives of AIDS babies, mothers  
would want to know if their infants are infected.  The  
opposition, however, was substantial enough to split the  
assembly's Health Committee, which has now moved to establish a  
panel of health experts to determine whether the proposal should  
be approved.  The panel is to present a report at the end of the  
year, and make recommendations for the next legislative session. 
 
"US Drops Charges on AIDS Scientist" 
Boston Globe (11/13/93) P. 3  (Recer, Paul) 
     The government has dropped misconduct charges filed against AIDS  
co-discoverer Robert Gallo, who was accused of violating  
scientific ethics in his pioneering research of the virus.   
Gallo, 56, head of a laboratory at the National Institutes of  
Health, had been found guilty by the Public Health Service's  
Office of Research Integrity (ORI) of neglecting to properly  
attribute credit to other researchers and of making a  
misstatement in a scientific journal.  The case was dropped,  
according to Gallo head investigator Dr. Lyle W. Bivens, only  
because the U.S. Public Health Service was unable to meet "a new  
definition of scientific misconduct" demanded by a review board.  
Gallo said the dismissal "completely vindicated" him, and his  
lawyer called Bivens' comments "outrageous."  "The reason that  
they didn't pursue the case is that ORI knew that it couldn't  
prove its false charges before a fair and independent tribunal,"  
contended Gallo's attorney, Joe Onek.  Gallo and his colleagues  
published articles in 1984 identifying the specific virus that  
causes AIDS.  French researchers asserted shortly thereafter that 
they had already isolated the virus, and accused the Americans of 
falsely claiming credit.  The two nations compromised to  
recognize Gallo and Frenchman Dr. Luc Montagnier as  
co-discoverers of the AIDS virus. 
 
"AIDS--Vitamins" 
Associated Press (11/11/93)  (Recer, Paul) 
     Washington--The AIDS virus may block the body's normal defenses  
against oxygen free radicals, naturally occurring molecules that  
can destroy cells if thrown off proper balance, speculated  
experts at a National Institutes of Health conference.  These  
radicals normally are neutralized in the body by antioxidant  
nutrients like betacarotene and vitamins A, C, and E.  Dr. Howard 
C. Greenspan, chairman of the conference, noted that HIV destroys 
the body's ability to absorb and use these nutrients, thus  
creating an overabundance of the free radicals.  The  
overabundance of the molecules created leads to "oxidative  
stress," which has been associated with the aging process,  
cancer, heart disease, and muscular dystrophy, among  other  
diseases, according to Greenspan.  It has also been shown to kill 
key cells of the immune system, thereby exacerbating the  
destructive effect of the AIDS virus.  "This may be a major  
factor in killing off the immune system," Greenspan declared.  He 
said the over-oxidation creates two effects in AIDS.  First, it  
aids HIV reproduction, and the virus destroys the body's ability  
to protect itself against the oxygen free radicals.  Also, the  
AIDS virus destroys an inner layer of the intestine that absorbs  
key antioxidant nutrients.  Some studies, according to Greenspan, 
have suggested that vitamin therapy may reverse this effect,  
although he advises patients to consult a physician for advice  
and guidance before embarking on a do-it-yourself therapy.   
Related Story: New York Times (11/14) P. 27. 
 
"Lawsuit: SEPTA Kept 'AIDS List'" 
Philadelphia Inquirer (11/13/93) P. B1  (Caba, Susan) 
     An HIV-infected manager at SEPTA, identified only as John Doe,  
has charged the Philadelphia transit agency with compiling an  
"AIDS List" of infected employees and using that list to  
discriminate.  The list was compiled by Judith Pierce, then chief 
administrative officer, who allegedly studied employee  
prescription information and noted those employees who were  
receiving drugs used exclusively for the treatment of HIV-related 
conditions.  Pierce evidently had access to this information due  
to direct billing of employee prescriptions to SEPTA.  John Doe,  
who was taking AZT, claims that he was denied promotions and  
raises because of his illness, and is seeking over $100,000 in  
damages. 
 
"State: Proof of Exposure Needed to Reveal Doctor's HIV Status" 
Philadelphia Inquirer (11/13/93) P. B1  (Collins, Huntly) 
     Patients should be informed of their doctor's HIV-positive status 
only if there is clear proof that the patients were exposed to  
the virus, dictated new guidelines released last week by the  
Pennsylvania Department of Public Health.  The goal of the  
recommendations, which cover all health-care workers, is to  
balance the privacy rights of doctors with patients' risk of  
infection from HIV-positive doctors--a risk the state says is  
extremely low.  On one end, patient notification is deemed  
appropriate if evidence of "significant exposure" to a patient is 
demonstrated, and after a state review of the case.  On the other 
end, hospitals may impose restrictions on invasive procedures  
undertaken by HIV-infected health-care workers.  Although the  
guidelines are only advisory to hospitals and other health-care  
providers, state officials expect most providers to comply. 
 
"Romania Admits Sending Infected Blood to Germany" 
Reuters (11/11/93) 
     Bucharest--In a reversal of previous denials that it exported any 
blood at all, Romania admitted Thursday that it had sent  
contaminated blood to Germany, where the country's largest  
medical scandal continues to unfold.  That blood, claims Romania, 
was tainted with hepatitis, not AIDS.  Romanian Health Minister  
Iulian Mincu earlier informed the upper house of the Bucharest  
parliament, the Senate, that Romania had not exported blood and  
would refrain from doing so in the future.  A company registered  
in Romania, U.B. Plasma Roma SRL, was 60 percent owned by the  
German firm U.B. Plasma, which was shut down because of the  
scandal.  U.B. Plasma Roma SRL collected 340 gallons of plasma in 
the first six months of 1992 but, according to U.B. Plasma, the  
German side was supposed to test the blood, "so the whole  
responsibility and seriousness of the analysis belongs to the  
German side," said the ministry. 
 
"Institute Says 15 Percent of Germans Want AIDS Test" 
United Press International (11/10/93) 
     Bonn--Results of an opinion poll conducted by a German  
publication indicates that 15 percent of all Germans would like  
to be tested for the AIDS virus in reaction to reports of  
inadequate blood screening procedures.  The weekly Die Woche  
reported that 15 percent of the 1,020 adult Germans interviewed  
by the Forsa research institute said they would undergo an AIDS  
test.  That percentage translates into 9 million people  
requesting blood tests.  Health officials called for testing of  
all patients who received blood products in the past seven years. 
 
"Germany Raises Compensation for AIDS-Tainted Blood" 
Reuters (11/11/93)  (Liffey, Kevin) 
     Bonn--The German government plans to increase compensation to  
people who became infected with the AIDS virus through  
contaminated blood, the parliament's budget committee decided  
Thursday.  The offer primarily will benefit the 1,800  
hemophiliacs who contracted HIV from blood treatments in the  
early 1980s before screening was introduced.  The committee  
agreed to raise the government's contribution to the fund to  
$11.8 million, up from $1.2 million, according to parliamentarian 
Dick Sauer.  He said that regional states would be asked to  
increase their contribution of three million, and pharmaceutical  
companies would need to augment their two million-mark donation.  
"It is scandalous that the pharmaceutical insurance companies  
have so far refused to contribute to this humanitarian aid fund," 
said Sauer.  Health minister Horst Seehofer said the government  
was contemplating legal changes to render insurance companies  
liable in future cases.  It may also sponsor a test suit to try  
to force the two closed-down firms to pay compensation to the HIV 
cases. 
 
"Zimbabwe MPs Want Spreading of AIDS Made Crime" 
Reuters (11/11/93) 
     Harare--Members of parliament in Zimbabwe have approved a motion  
to curb AIDS that includes the possibility of legislation against 
people who intentionally transmit the virus through sexual  
contact, according to the national news agency.  "The MPs said  
this legislation would encourage those carrying the AIDS virus to 
adopt safer sex practices," ZIANA reported.  It was not announced 
when the MPs might legislate on the issue, or what sentences  
offenders could expect.  Statistics indicate that 60,000 of the  
10 million Zimbabwean population have AIDS, while another 800,000 
are HIV carriers. 
 
"Condom Shop Causes Worries" 
Boston Globe (11/12/93) P. 21  (Vigue, Doreen Iudica) 
     The recent opening of a condom shop in Waltham, Mass., has raised 
the ire of city officials and residents who feel the store will  
not promote safe sex, but will threaten the revitalization of the 
downtown area.  The shop, called "For the '90s, Lifestyles Adult  
Entertainment Centers" could attract other similar businesses,  
creating a "combat zone," complains the City Council, along with  
Mayor William Stanley.  "Who would want to buy a business next to 
a condom shop?" asks Stanley.  The shop, owned by brothers  
Michael and Gary Stone, sells every imaginable kind of condom,  
x-rated videos, sex toys, and body oils and creams, as well as  
informational pamphlets on AIDS and other sexually transmitted  
diseases.  "Sex is a big business in America and safe sex is an  
even bigger one these days," says Gary Stone. 
 
"Cameroon MPs Get Bumper Box of Condoms" 
Reuters (11/10/93) 
     Yaounde--Following widespread rumors that the Cameroon parliament 
is infested with AIDS, each parliament member received a box of  
144 Korean-made condoms in a special session Wednesday.  To  
highlight the battle against AIDS, the health ministry gave  
condoms to each of the 180 deputies, including females and  
Muslims.  The gift spawned a special debate on AIDS in this  
country, located in Central Africa, where 1 percent of the 12.5  
million residents are HIV-positive.  During the debate, one  
female deputy criticized the state's failure to provide for the  
widows of AIDS patients.  She also pointed out that the rubber  
found in condoms rots quickly in rural areas because there is no  
protection against the tropical heat. 
 
"CDC Estimate on HIV Population Based on Survival Time" 
AIDS Alert (10/93) Vol. 8, No. 10, P. 160 
     Although the estimate of 1 million American cases of HIV is based 
on a sensitive system known as "back calculation," the figure has 
remained constant over time.  Statisticians come up with the  
number by applying the incubation period for AIDS--now at about  
10 years--to the number of reported AIDS cases.  They then  
estimate backward to determine how many HIV infections would have 
been necessary to account for the current number of AIDS cases.   
The problem with this method, however, is that the calculations  
are sensitive to the estimated incubation time, which is based on 
limited studies of homosexuals and hemophiliacs who are able to  
pinpoint seroconversion, explains Dr. Patricia Fleming, chief of  
reporting and analysis of the HIV/AIDS division of the Centers  
for Disease Control and Prevention.  Statisticians must also  
consider the impact of treatment on development of AIDS.  They,  
therefore, use the 1 million estimate cautiously, fully aware  
that it could have a margin of error of 100,000 to 200,000 cases. 
Although the estimate is constantly updated, the figure hasn't  
budged.  The CDC explains this by saying that the number of new  
infections are roughly equal to the number of AIDS deaths.