From: "ANNE WILSON, CDC NAC" <[email-masked]>

AIDS Daily Summary 
                      October 29, 1993 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) National AIDS
Clearinghouse makes available the following information as a public
service only. Providing this information does not constitute endorsement
by the CDC, the CDC Clearinghouse, or any other organization. Reproduction
of this text is encouraged; however, copies may not be sold, and the CDC
Clearinghouse should be cited as the source of this information.
Copyright 1993, Information, Inc., Bethesda, MD

"German Plasma Firm Closed" 
Wall Street Journal (10/29/93) P. A11 
     The German government has revoked the manufacturing license of  
UB-Plasma, and police have shut down the pharmaceutical firm in  
Koblenz, Germany, which failed to ensure that all of its blood  
products were not contaminated with the AIDS virus.  Authorities  
were trying to locate the company's products, their intention  
being to destroy potentially tainted blood that was delivered to  
74 German hospitals.  Although some donors to UB-Plasma tested  
HIV-positive, only 2,500 of 7,000 units of blood products were  
tested.  The country is in the midst of a criminal probe  
concerning a scandal in which the German government disclosed  
that officials hushed up reports of HIV-contaminated blood that  
may have caused the death of some hemophiliacs. 
       
"Prison Guards Complain of Working Conditions" 
United Press International (10/28/93) 
     Crescent City, Calif.--Correctional officers at Pelican Bay State 
Prison in California have filed a complaint accusing the state of 
failure to protect them from the human waste of inmates, which is 
often pitched at them from cells.  The waste is a health threat  
to the guards because it may contain blood with infectious  
agents, such as HIV and hepatitis, contend some 800 guards at the 
maximum-security prison.  The case was closed, however, when the  
agency concluded that the complaint was not under its  
jurisdiction because there was a lack of evidence proving that  
waste carries such infectious diseases.  The guards have asked  
the agency to reconsider and to cover cell doors with plexiglass  
to block waste from hitting them as they pass.  Pelican Bay  
Warden Charles Marshall said that the proposal is not feasible  
because it would impair the climate control functions in the  
cells.  He noted, however, that the department provides face  
masks for correctional officers, and disciplines prisoners who  
repeatedly throw waste at the guards. 
       
"Indonesia to Hand Out Free Condoms in Irian Jaya" 
Reuters (10/28/93) 
     Jakarta--In an effort to curb the spread of AIDS, health  
officials will give away 16,000 condoms in the remote eastern  
province of Irian Jaya, reported the Antara news agency.  The  
goal of the condom distribution is to prevent the spread of other 
sexually transmitted diseases in that province, said health  
official Irwan Kriyono, as quoted by Antara.  The program was  
created after the number of people with HIV increased recently.   
Irian Jaya officials reported in June that 46 people, most of  
whom were Thai nationals working under contract on a fishing  
boat, had been infected with the deadly virus. 
       
"Four Asian Nations Join Drug-Fighting Alliance" 
United Press International (10/27/93) 
     Bangkok--Four Asian countries added their names to the United  
Nations' International Drug Control Program to combat illegal  
drug production and trafficking in the "Golden Triangle" area of  
Southeast Asia.  China, Laos, Burma, and Thailand on Wednesday  
signed a "Memorandum of Understanding" agreement designed to  
strengthen cooperation in fighting illicit substances.  It also  
provides for high-level consultations between the four  
governments and the UNDCP about the regional problems linked to  
illegal drug production, trafficking, abuse, and HIV infection  
caused by injecting drug use.  There has been some progress in  
reducing opium production in Laos and Thailand and blocking  
heroin trafficking from the Golden Triangle to China, said the  
four nations in a statement.  Sub regional countries, however,  
"have also experienced increasingly serious drug abuse problems,  
particularly among poor disadvantaged groups, and the intravenous 
use of heroin has been contributing to the spread of the HIV-AIDS 
infection," the statement reported. 
       
"ISIS Files for Antisense Drug to Treat CMV Infections That Cause 
Blindness in AIDS Patients" 
PR Newswire (10/27/93) 
     Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc. has, for the second time, filed an  
investigational new drug application with the Food and Drug  
Administration for the use of an antisense drug for the treatment 
of cytomegalovirus retinitis in AIDS patients.  CMV retinitis is  
an opportunistic viral infection that occurs in up to 46 percent  
of people with AIDS and often causes blindness.  Current  
therapies for CMV retinitis delay the progression of the  
infection for only a short while before the disease progresses  
and often cause side effects that render the treatment  
incompatible with patients.  ISIS 2922, a highly sensitive  
antisense compound, prevents the production of a protein  
essential for HIV replication, and has been shown in vitro to  
work against strains of the virus that are resistant to current  
therapies.  Also, ISIS 2922 may have fewer side effects.  Monkey  
experiments indicate that the drug can be safely administered by  
intravitreal injection on a weekly or biweekly schedule. 
       
"The Immune Response Corporation Receives U.S. Patent on HIV  
Technology" 
PR Newswire (10/27/93) 
     Carlsbad, Calif.--The Immune Response Corporation has received a  
U.S. patent relating to its HIV immunotherapeutic product, which  
is designed to boost the immune system of HIV-infected  
individuals and thereby allow the body's normal defense mechanism 
to control the virus.  A Phase II/III clinical trial of the  
product has been completed in conjunction with Rhone  
Poulenc-Rorer Inc.  Titled "Retroviral Antigens," the patent  
names Drs. Jonas Salk and Dennis J. Carlo as inventors 
      
"IDC's Virotech Unit Secures Favorable Test Results With Anti-HIV 
Drug" 
PR Newswire (10/27/93) 
     Minneapolis--Virotech, Inc., a subsidiary of IDC Holdings, Ltd.,  
announced that one of its anti-HIV compounds achieved significant 
viral reduction at low concentrations with negligible toxicity to 
healthy cells.  Virotech scientists initially theorized that the  
compound would inhibit viral activity within the form of the  
body's own defense cells known as macrophages.  When tested  
independently for HIV, however, researchers discovered that this  
new drug was active not only against macrophages, but against  
lymphocytes as well.  Richard D. Rotondo, vice president of  
research for Virotech, said that he is unaware of another drug  
that accomplishes that feat.  Rotondo also offered Virotech's  
speculations as to how the drug works.  "One theory is that this  
compound inhibits viral activity by altering the structural  
replication process of the HIV virus.  It may be that, in the  
process of viral replication, this drug binds to one or more HIV  
viral-specific enzymes throughout the life cycle of the virus.   
Accordingly, the enzymes necessary for replication are rendered  
inactive," he explained.  "Several other theoretical modes of  
action could also be possible, including prophylactic effects  
with binding on the cell surface that inhibits the binding and  
inclusion of the viral particle." 
        
"American Red Cross Selects Ortho-Chiron Joint Business as Major  
Supplier for Blood Screening Tests" 
Business Wire (10/27/93) 
     Emeryville, Calif.--The American Red Cross has signed a contract  
to purchase several mandated blood virus ELISA screening tests  
exclusively from the joint immunodiagnostic business of Chiron  
Corp. and Ortho Diagnostic Systems Inc.  For a three-year period  
beginning March 1, 1994, the Red Cross will buy four or five  
ELISA tests to screen for hepatitis B and C, and for HIV.  The  
nation's largest collector of donated whole blood, the American  
Red Cross collects close to one-half of the units of whole blood  
donated annually in the United States.  Screening tests that  
indicate the presence of hepatitis and AIDS infectious agents  
have dramatically improved the safety of the country's blood  
supply. 
       
"Diagnostik Purchases HIV/AIDS Specialty Pharmacy Company" 
PR Newswire (10/27/93) 
     Albuquerque, N.M.--Diagnostik, Inc. has announced the $9 million  
acquisition of Chronitech Health Services, Inc., which provides  
specialty pharmacy, homecare medication, and infusion services to 
the HIV/AIDS market.  "This acquisition enables Diagnostik to  
respond quickly to the growing need for quality, reliable  
specialized pharmacy services," said Nunzio DeSantis, chairman  
and CEO of Diagnostik.  "The prescription market for HIV and AIDS 
is largely unmanaged.  We'll coordinate pharmacy care in  
accordance with our managed care philosophy, emphasizing choice,  
clinical pharmacy expertise, and comprehensive information  
management."  The RxChoice program, a point-of-service medical  
drug program that allows patients to fill prescriptions at a  
national preferred retail pharmacy network, will also benefit  
AIDS patients.  "Prescription drug bills for AIDS patients are  
staggering, often exceeding $10,000 per person annually," says  
DeSantis.  "Our RxChoice prescription program offers affordable,  
accessible pharmacy care, with a premium on service and quality.  
We're extremely pleased to be able to extend our help to those  
people suffering from HIV and AIDS.  Diagnostik also offers a  
state-of-the-art mail service for patients to fill maintenance  
prescriptions, a key benefit for long-term AIDS-related drug  
therapies. 
       
"Northwest Philadelphia AIDS Prevention Program to Hold Kick-Off  
Event; Temple University's Full Circle Theater to Be Featured" 
PR Newswire (10/25/93) 
     "Take It Into The Palms Of Your Hands," a new AIDS education and  
prevention program for residents of Northwest Philadelphia, will  
present a special performance featuring Temple University's Full  
Circle Theater to launch the campaign.  "Take It Into The Palms  
Of Your Hands" is a community intervention project that aims to  
lower the risk of HIV infection in the community by using peer  
education, workshops, and improvisational theater to create a  
forum between teens, adults, and older adults.  A joint effort  
between community leaders, agency representatives, and Northwest  
Philadelphia teenagers, the project is funded by the Philadelphia 
Department of Public Health and managed by the Philadelphia  
Health Management Corporation.  The kick-off event will be held  
the evening of Friday, Oct. 29, and will be followed by  
discussion about communication between adults and adolescents. 
       
"Infant AIDS Prevention Study Finally Gets Going" 
Journal of American Medical Association (10/20/93) Vol. 270, No.  
15, P. 1785  (Cotton, Paul) 
     After a year-long delay, HIV immunoglobulin (HIVIG), which may  
prevent the transmission of the AIDS virus from pregnant mothers  
to their infants, will finally be tested in a clinical trial.   
Researchers hope that HIVIG, which contains antibodies to HIV,  
will work much in the same way as do similar products with  
antibodies that prevent mother-to-child transmission of hepatitis 
B or cytomegalovirus.  The trial, initially scheduled for July  
1992, was delayed when HIVIG supplier Abbott Laboratories backed  
out in fear of legal liability should the product increase the  
risk of infecting infants.  Many claim that fear is unfounded  
because, although the product is made from patients who are  
HIV-positive, rigorous measures are taken to inactivate the  
virus.  A new manufacturer is now supplying HIVIG for the trial,  
which is being sponsored by the National Institute of Child  
Health and Human Development, the National Institute of Allergy  
and Infectious Diseases, and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood  
Institute (NHLBI).  Recruitment, however, must start over because 
the women who were to enter the trial in 1992 have since given  
birth, said Elaine M. Sloand, assistant to the director of NHLBI. 
       
"Punctures in Surgical Gloves" 
Lancet (Great Britain) (10/16/93) Vol. 342, No. 8877, P. 984   
(Lane, T. Vaughan et al.) 
     The practice of "double gloving" among orthopedic surgeons serves 
a dual purpose, according to Lane et al.  Surgeons are concerned  
about infection risks for the patient and, at the same time,  
double gloves provide added protection for the staff should one  
glove be punctured.  Wearing extra gloves effectively reduces the 
perforation rate in the inner glove.  A simple method for  
detecting punctured gloves is to wear colored inner gloves to  
visualize the ingress of blood or body fluids.  If a puncture is  
identified, the surgeon can then take the necessary precautions.  
Lane et al. tested a prototype colored glove worn beneath a  
standard one.  After being used during 25 orthopedic operations  
in which 148 outer gloves were used by three surgeons, all gloves 
were examined by water pressure for punctures.  Twenty-nine  
punctures were discovered, 23 of which were noticed by the  
surgeon during the medical procedure.  Lane et al. conclude that  
the inner glove is helpful to surgeons in identifying punctures  
and indicating when it is necessary to change gloves.