Subject: AIDS Book Review Journal 34

From: "H. Robert Malinowsky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 12:17:46 CDT

A I D S   B O O K  R E V I E W  J O U R N A L

                   University of Illinois at Chicago
                          H. Robert Malinowsky
                                 Editor

Number 34                   ISSN  1068-4174          April, 1997

An electronic journal reviewing books, videos, journal titles, and
other materials covering AIDS, safer sex, sexually transmitted
diseases, and other related materials, published irregularly by the
University of Illinois at Chicago Library.  Editorial offices: PO Box
8198 M/C 234, Chicago, IL 60680.  AIDS Book Review Journal is free of
charge and is available only in electronic form.  Opinions expressed
in the reviews are those of the editor or reviewers.  To subscribe
over INTERNET:  send note to [email-masked] with  note:
sub AIDSBKRV your first and last name.  AIDSBKRV backfiles are
available through a LISTSERV.  To find what is available, send note
to:  [email-masked].  Leave subject blank; key into body
of note:  send AIDSBKRV FILELIST.  This FILELIST contains a list of
AIDSBKRV issues with their filenames and filetypes listed as AIDSBKn
EJ where the n is the issue number.  To retrieve a particular issue,
send note to the LISTSERV saying send AIDSBKn EJ, substituting the
issue number for the n.  A backfile of all issues is also available
at the following URL:  http://www.uic.edu/depts/lib/aidsbkrv/.  All
materials in the journal are subject to copyright by the Board of
Trustees of the University of Illinois and may be reprinted or
redistributed for the noncommercial purpose of scientific or
educational advancement granted by Sections 107 and 108 of the
Copyright Revision Act of 1976.  For other reprinting,
redistribution, or translation, address requests to H. Robert
Malinowsky, University of Illinois at Chicago Library, PO Box 8198,
Chicago, IL 60680 or electronically to [email-masked].

*********************************************************************

It is the hope that this journal will be able to alert individuals
about new, as well as noteworthy, older publications, videos, journal
titles, and other print and non-print materials pertaining to AIDS,
safer sex, STDs, and other related topics.  AIDS is a devastating
disease that is everyone's concern.  New advances for treatment and
education are constantly being developed.  Information specialists
need to be alerted to these new materials so that they can educate
everyone from the school child who needs a picture book about AIDS to
the layperson who needs general information on the disease or a novel
with an AIDS theme to the researcher looking for a synopsis of
research to those who are HIV+ needing comfort and support through
the writings of those who have AIDS or are HIV+.

The Editor welcomes comments that can be sent to him at [email-masked].
If any reader also is a publisher of any AIDS-related material and
would like it considered for review in this journal, please send
items to H. Robert Malinowsky,  AIDS Book Review Journal, 1250 W.
Grace 1st Fl, Chicago, IL 60613, so that the material can be
considered.

URL:  http://www.uic.edu/depts/lib/aidsbkrv/

================================================================

659.  AIDS Education and Prevention:  An Interdisciplinary Journal,
v.8, no.5,6, October, December, 1996; v.9, no.1, February, 1997;
Special Supplement to v.9, no.1, February, 1997.

660.  Positively Women:  Living with AIDS, edited by Sue O'Sullivan,
Kate Thomason.

661.  At Odds with AIDS:  Thinking and Talking About a Virus, by
Alexander Garcia Duttmann.

662.  Feminizing Venereal Disease:  The Body of the Prostitute in
Nineteenth-Century Medical Discourse, by Mary Spongberg.

663.  HIV/AIDS:  What Health Professionals Need to Know, edited by
Joan Schulman.

664.  Pocket Book of Infectious Disease Therapy, 7th edition by John
G. Bartlett.

665.  Vaccines 96:  Molecular Approaches to the Control of Infectious
Diseases, edited by Fred Brown, Erling Norrby, Dennis Burton, John
Mekalanos.

666.  HIV Infection:  A Clinical Approach, edited by Mary M. Fanning.

667.  AIDS and the Body Politic:  Biomedicine and Sexual Difference,
by Catherine Waldby.

668.  Prisons and AIDS:  A Public Health Challenge, by Ronald L.
Braithwaite, Theodore M. Hammett, Robert M. Mayberry.

669.  Clinical Guide to AIDS and HIV, edited by Gary P. Wormser.

670.  No Germs Allowed!:  How to Avoid Infectious Diseases at Home
and on the Road, by Winkler G. Weinberg.

671.  AIDS, Drugs and Prevention:  Perspectives on Individual and
Community Action, edited by Tim Rhodes, Richard Hartnoll.

Pre-1996 books briefly mentioned.

672.  Like People in History, by Felice Picano.

673.  HIV/AIDS Overview, edited by Joan Schulman.

674.  Broken Dreams:  Journal of a Life Shattered by AIDS, by Keith
A. Wall, Karen Scalf Linamen.

675.  To a Patient Named Nick:  A Different Kind of Story of a Nurse
and an AIDS Patient, by Eva Lou Altarejos-Espinosa.

======================================================================

659.  AIDS Education and Prevention:  An Interdisciplinary Journal,
edited by Francisco S. Sy, v.8, no.5,6, October, December, 1996; v.9,
no.1, February, 1997; Special Supplement to v.9, no.1, February,
1997.  Guilford Publications, 72 Spring St., New York, NY 10012.
ISSN 0899-9546.  6 issues per year.  $135.00 institutions, $40.00
individuals.  (Descriptors:  Education, Prevention)

This journal continues to provide state-of-the-art information about
AIDS and related issues as it pertains to education and prevention,
including development, implementation, and evaluation.  It also
covers various public health, psychosocial, ethical, and public
policy issues that are related to AIDS education and prevention.

Volume 8, no. 5, October, 1996 contains the following articles:
"Organizing Asian Pacific Islanders in an Urban Community to Reduce
HIV Risk:  A Case Study" by Sana Loue, Linda S. Lloyd, Eric
Phoombour; "Behavioral Risks for HIV Infection Associated with
HIV-Testing Decisions" by Kim S. Miller, Michael Hennessy, Deborah A.
Wendell, Mayris P. Webber, Ellie E. Schoenbaum; "Children's
Understanding of the Symptoms of AIDS" by Mary R. Shoemaker, David J.
Schonfeld, Linda L. O'Hare, Donald R. Showalter, Domenic V.
Cicchetti; "HIV Risk Among Latino Gay Men in the Southwestern United
States" by Rafael M. Diaz, Ron D. Stall, Colleen Hoff, Dennis Daigle,
Thomas J. Coates; "AIDS-Relevant Condom Use by Gay and Bisexual Men:
The Role of Person Variables and the Interpersonal Situation" by
William P. Sacco, Richard L. Rickman; "HIV Risk Behaviors Among
Dominican Brothel and Street Prostitutes in New York City" by Sherry
Deren, Jesus Sanchez, Michele Shedlin, W. Rees Davis, Mark Beardsley,
Don Des Jarlais, Kim Miller; and "Effects of AIDS Counseling and Risk
Reduction Training on the Chronic Mentally Ill" by Roger C. Katz,
Carole Westerman, Kenneth Beauchamp, Cris Clay.

Volume 8, no.6, November, 1996 contains the following articles:  "The
Transition from Underground to Legal Syringe Exchange:  The New York
City Experience" by Lee M. Kochems, Denise Paone, Don C. Des Jarlais,
Immanuel Ness, Jessica Clark, Samuel R. Friedman; "Multiple Sexual
Partners and Condom Use Among Long-Distance Truck Drivers in
Thailand" by Chai Podhisita, Maria J. Wawer, Anthony Pramualratana,
Uriwan Kanungsukkasem, Regina McNamara; "Predictors of African
American Adolescents' Condom Use and HIV Risk Behavior" by David
Reitman, Janet S. St. Lawrence, Kennis W. Jefferson, Edna Alleyne,
Ted L. Brasfield, Aaron Shirley; "Effects of an Institutional AIDS
Prevention Intervention:  Moderation by Gender" by Ann O'Leary,
Loretta S. Jemmott, Fern Goodhart, Janet Gebelt; "HIV Seropositive
Gay Men:  Understanding Adoption of Safe Sexual Practices" by Gaston
Godin, Josee Savard, Gerjo Kok, Christian Fortin, Richard Boyer; and
"Differences Between Gay Men in Primary Relationships and Single Men:
Implications for Prevention" by Colleen C. Hoff, Thomas J. Coates,
Donald C. Barrett, Linda Collette, Maria Ekstrand.

Volume 9, no. 1, February, 1997 contains:  "Measurement of Condom Use
Self-Efficacy and Outcome Expectancies in a Geographically Diverse
Group of STD Patients" by Colleen Dilorio, Edward Maibach, Ann
O'Leary, Catherine A. Sanderson, David Celentano; "Attitudes about
AIDS Education and Condom Availability Among Parents of High School
Students in New York City:  A Focus Group Approach" by Yvonne
Rafferty, Alice Radosh; "Understanding the Intention of Gay and
Bisexual Men to Take the HIV Antibody Test" by G. Godin, T. Myers, J.
Lambert, L. Calzavara, D. Locker; "Communication of HIV Serostatus
Between Potential Sex Partners in Personal Ads" by Francoise F.
Hamers, Howard A. Bueller, Thomas A. Peterman; "Toward Reducing the
Spread of HIV in Northeastern Thai Villages:  Evaluation of a
Village-Based Intervention" by David Elkins, Eleanor Maticka-Tyndale,
Thicumporn Kuyyakanond, Peter Miller, Melissa Haswell-Elkins; "An
Evaluation of teaching Methods Utilized During an HIV Miniresidency
Course for Thai Physicians" by Steven C. Zell; "Migrant Laborers and
AIDS in the United States:  A Review of the Literature" by Kurt C.
Organista, Pamela Balls Organista; and "A Preintervention Survey to
Determine Understanding of HIV and AIDS in Farmworker Communities in
Zimbabwe" by Susan M.L. Laver, Bart van den Borne, Gerjo Kok, Godfrey
Woelk.

Special supplement to v.9, no.1, February, 1997, is a special issue
entitled "Research on Behavioral Interventions to Reduce STD-HIV
Risk:  Null Findings, Replication Efforts, and Recommendations,"
containing the following articles:  "Reflections on the Design and
Reporting of STD/HIV Behavioral Intervention Research" by Ann
O'Leary, Ralph J. DiClemente, Sevgi O. Aral; "How Important is
Publication Bias?:  A Synthesis of Available Data" by Kay Dickersin;
"Effects of a Skill-Based Intervention to Encourage Condom Use Among
High Risk Heterosexually Active Adolescents" by Mary Rogers Gillmore,
Diane M. Morrison, Cheryl A. Richey, Mary Lou Balassone, Lorraine
Gutierrez, Martha Farris; "An Impact Evaluation of Project SNAPP:  An
Aids and Pregnancy Prevention Middle School Program" by Douglas
Kirby, Meg Korpi, Carla Adivi, Jennifer Weissman; "Evaluation of an
HIV Risk Reduction Intervention for Women Entering Inpatient
Substance Abuse Treatment" by Gloria D. Eldridge, Janet S. St.
Lawrence, Connie E. Little, Millicent C. Shelby, Ted L. Brasfield,
James W. Service, Kay Sly; "Acitivity and Similarity in Safer-Sex
Workshops Led by Peer Educators" by Glenn D. Reeder, John B. Pryor,
Lisa Harsh; and "Does Parental Involvement Make a Difference?:
Impact of Parent Interactive Activities on Students in a School-Based
AIDS Prevention Program" by Kyle Weeks, Susan R. Levy, Audrey K.
Gordon, Arden Handler, Cydne Perhats, Brian R. Flay.

An excellent publication that should be in all academic and medical
libraries.

660.  Positively Women Living with AIDS, edited by Sue O'Sullivan,
Kate Thomson.  1996. Pandora/HarperCollins, 1160 Battery St., San
Francisco, CA 94111-1213.  303p. ISBN 0-04-440943-5.  $18.00.
(Descriptors:  Women, Social Aspects, Pregnancy, Grief)
(Contributors:  Danielle Mercey, National AIDS Trust, Emily Scharf,
Carol Smith, Lei Zhou An, Roz Pendlebury, Simmy Viinikka, Sue
O'Sullivan, Hope Massiah, Andria Efthimou, Bev Greet, Kate Thomson)

This book, first published in Great Britain, "is a book by positive
women about their lives and their hopes, as well as the problems they
have faced."  The book is intended to be an inspiration for other
positive women who feel isolated and left out.  It is hoped that
through these stories, others will see that positive women come from
all walks of life.  Their stories "make clear the bonding which takes
place between them because of the virus."  Fear is one of the most
encountered stigmas with HIV positive women, and through this fear
many false assumptions are put into place, resulting in great harm to
those who are positive.  In Great Britain there is a group called
Positive Women which focuses on women's experiences, maintaining
contact with other HIV/AIDS organizations, including those that are
gay.  It fulfills a need by providing positive support groups,
working on advocacy, and, above all, educating everyone.  It is the
hope that everyone "will read this book and identify with some part
of it, so that the separation between those who are positive and
those who assume they are not will be made smaller, and the stigma of
the virus lessened."

The first part of the book provides the stories of 12 positive women.
These stories not only relate their HIV experiences but, also,
provide an insight to their very personal life before becoming
positive.  The second part of the book--"How HIV/AIDS Affects Women's
Lives"--contains 12 chapters:  "UK Declaration of Human Rights," "An
AIDS Consultant's Approach," "Research:  HIV/AIDS and the
Invisibility of Women," "A Naturopath's Approach to HIV/AIDS," "A
Traditional Chinese Medical Approach," "Housing Needs of Positive
Women," "Legal Concerns of Women with HIV or AIDS," "Pregnancy, HIV
and Women," "Thinking About the Issues," "Facing the
Challenge--Living With IT," "Sex in Difficult Times," and "Grief and
Loss."  Also included are reading lists and resources for Great
Britain, North America, and Australia.

This is a very good book to recommend for any women who is HIV
positive, providing them with some support and strength to keep
going, especially, in 1997 when there are so many new drugs that look
so promising.  Above anything else, this book gives positive women
something to grasp on to and begin to live a life that has a future.
Recommended for all libraries and especially for the personal
libraries of HIV positive women.

661.  At Odds with AIDS:  Thinking and Talking About a Virus, by
Alexander Garcia Duttmann.  1996.  Stanford University Press,
Stanford, CA 94305-2235.  144p., bibliog.  (Meridian, Crossing
Aesthetics) ISBN 0-8407-2437-7, 0-8407-2438-5pbk.  $37.50, $12.95pbk.
(Descriptors:  Philosophy, Social Aspects)

This book was originally published in German in 1993 under the title
Uneins mit AIDS:  Wie uber einen Virus nachgedacht und geredet Wird
by Fischer Tashenbuch Verlag GmbH.  This is a very philosophical book
that is intended to make one think about AIDS, life, death, and time.
Duttmann confronts questions about these facts from the philosophical
backgrounds of Kant, Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, and Heidegger.  He tries
to analyze and provide an explanation of what it means to "be at odds
with AIDS."  In doing this he talks about "dis-unity" and
"at-odds-ness" and "non-belonging," in order to make individuals
understand that the "conceptualization of alternative discursive
possibilities (narrative or not) of coming to terms with the violent
dislocation that AIDS signifies, individually and collectively."
This is not an easy book to read, but buried within the 144 pages is
much to think about, to re-read, to challenge, and to discuss with
others.  The core of the book can be summed up from the quote in the
first chapter:  "Wherever AIDS arouses anxiety about dying before
one's time, wherever it provokes anger about the interruption of the
time of a life that no longer presents its natural and meaningful
end, in short, wherever AIDS becomes the sign of a (missing) meaning,
and the possibility of living under such a sign is given, the
consciousness of that anxiety or that anger, as well as the
reflexivity through which one experiences oneself as living under the
sign of AIDS, must raise the question of whether one's own behavior
did not also determine the loss or the lack of coherent meaning of
life and death."

This is not a book for everyone to read but it is a book for those
who delve into the philosophical intertwinings that surround AIDS
today.  A recommended book for all academic libraries.

662.  Feminizing Venereal Disease:  The Body of the Prostitute in
Nineteenth-Century Medical Discourse, by Mary Spongberg.  1997.  New
York University Press, 70 Washington Square South, New York, NY
10012-1091.  231p., illus., bibliog., index.  ISBN 0-8147-8060-1.
$40.00.  (Descriptors:  Sexually Transmitted Diseases, History,
Prostitutes, Health and Hygiene, Prostitution, History of
Prostitution)

"The central aim of this book is to examine the medical literature on
syphilis and gonorrhea and to show how this influenced the
construction of the prostitute as (a) pathological female and
contaminated other(s).  The idea that men acquired venereal disease
from women has always been taken for granted, they were the victims
and women were the source, in other words, by the eighteenth century
all venereal disease appeared to be sexually transmitted by women.
During the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries there were
significant scientific breakthroughs regarding both diseases but the
ancient fears and superstitions about the female bodies and female
sexuality were still there as a hindrance.  What is found in this
book "is the various ways in which medical opinion responded to new
scientific evidence about venereal disease and how such evidence
about venereal disease was incorporated with archaic notions of
female sexual pollution."

The book is divided into 5 parts:  "Feminizing Syphilis,"
"Regulation," "The Question of Child Prostitution," "Syphilis, Male
Sexuality and Female Degeneration," and "Conclusion."  The last
section has one chapter that is very interesting, "Trapped in a
Woman's Body?:  The Persistence of Feminine Pathology in Biomedical
Discourse around HIV/AIDS."  Here will be found discussions of how
some researchers still equate gays with excess and promiscuity and
then further equate that with feminity which goes back to the
assumptions that women have always been promiscuous and were the
carriers of venereal diseases.  In other words, it is no wonder that
AIDS is spread in the gay community because they act as if they were
women in having sex, the only difference is doing it in the anus
rather than the vagina.

An interesting book for anyone who is interested in the history of
venereal disease.  It provides some interesting facts to consider
about women and venereal disease and makes the reader aware that
women have taken a bad rap for many centuries and that bad rap is
slowly being transferred to the gays in this age of AIDS.
Recommended for all academic and medical libraries.

663.  HIV/AIDS:  What Health Professionals Need to Know, 5th edition
edited by Joan Schulman.  1996.  Health Studies Institute, PO Box
163200, Miami, FL 33116-3200.  131p., illus., bibliog., index.  ISBN
1-879772-00-0.  $55.00.  (Descriptors:  Health Professionals, Medical
Aspects, Curriculum) (Contributors:  Jack P. Hartog, Ann S. Pozen, W.
Edward Robinson, Jr., Faith Sousa Schaefer, John D. Tabak)

This is an outline course for all health care providers that offers
"recommendations on how to educate and advise patents on preventing
infection with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), assess their risk
of infection, and care for them if test results indicate they are
HIV-seropositive."  It stresses that the information is up-to-date,
including a January, 1997, update flyer that provides new information
for various parts of the book.  Each chapter is brief, presenting the
facts in clear and easy to understand outline form.  The first
chapter covers epidemiology, including case surveillance, demographic
characteristics, sexual transmission, parenteral transmission,
perinatal transmission, and mortality.  Chapter two discusses
transmission and antibody testing, while chapter three covers
seropositive patients.  The fourth chapter presents information about
immune system therapy and vaccine research and the fifth covers
preventing opportunistic infections.  The sixth chapter is an
important one in that it instructs the provider in recognizing and
treating HIV-related diseases, including oral lesions, PCP,
candidiasis, tuberculosis, Mycobacterium avium, toxoplasmic
encephalitis, cryptoccoccosis, coccidioidomycosis, herpesvirus
infections, enteric infections, Kaposi's sarcoma, lymphomas, cervical
cancer, progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy, HIV
encephalopathy, and wasting syndrome.  The last two chapters cover
infection control and the legal aspects.

Each chapter ends with a summary and a test which can then be sent to
the publisher for checking.  At the end of the text are four
appendices:  "HIV/AIDS Information Sources," "Checklist of Selected
Signs and Symptoms," "Uses and Characteristics of Selected
Medications," and "Florida Legal Aspects of HIV/AIDS."  There is also
a list of definitions, abbreviations, and acronyms. This is an
excellent, easy-to-understand study manual that would be useful not
only for health care providers but for anyone who wants to become
educated about HIV/AIDS.  Recommended for all libraries.

664.  Pocket Book of Infectious Disease Therapy, 7th edition by John
G. Bartlett.  1996.  Williams & Wilkins, 351 W Camden St., Baltimore,
Maryland 21201-2436.  343p., index.  ISBN 0-683-18238-2.  $14.95.
(Descriptors:  Therapy, Preventive Treatment, Infections)

Since 1990, this pocket book has given physicians and other care
providers quick information about infectious disease therapy.  Its
goal is "to provide standards of care for the management of
infectious diseases with particular emphasis on antimicrobial agents,
their selection, dosing regimens, costs, and side effects."  This
edition has had extensive updating with additions, deletions, and
revisions.  Information is given for newly approved antibiotics
including ceftibutin, dirithromycin, lamivudine, indinavir,
ritonavir, saquinavir, valacyclovir, and amphotericin B lipid complex
as well as information about new vaccines for hepatitis A, varicella
zoster, and typhoid.  All of the information is given in easy to
follow charts and tables.  The book is divided into 4 sections with
the first an outline of information about antimicrobial agents, the
second looks at preventive treatment, the third at nonbacterial
infections, and the last looks at each of the specific types of
infections with HIV/AIDS and sexually transmitted diseases.  This is
an excellent little book to quickly find information about treatment
of the diseases, the kinds of drugs that are used, and the side
effects that may occur.  Highly recommended for all health care
providers and an excellent reference source for any medical or
academic library.

665.  Vaccines96:  Molecular Approaches to the Control of Infectious
Diseases, edited by Fred Brown, Erling Norrby, Dennis Burton, John
Mekalanos.  1996.  Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, 10 Skyline
Drive, Plainview, NY 11803-2500.  364p., illus., bibliog., index.
ISBN 0-87969-479-3, ISSN 0899-4056.  $100.00.  (Descriptors:
Vaccines, Infectious Diseases) (160 contributors)

Vaccines96 contains the papers presented at the 13th meeting on the
Molecular Approaches to the Control of Infectious Disease held on
September 13-17, 1995.  The purpose of this meeting was to discuss
new approaches to the control of infectious diseases.  "The papers on
HIV showed how difficult it will be to provide a vaccine against
AIDS, even without taking into account the problem of antigenic
variation.  However, progress has been made in identifying roles for
antibody and T-cell responses in protection."  The 53 papers are
groups under 9 sections:  "Immunity and Viruses," "DNA Immunization
1," "DNA Immunization 2," "Bacterial Vaccines," "Recombinant
Antibodies," "Mucosal Immunity and Delivery Systems," "Simian
Immunodeficiency Virus," "Parasite Vaccines," and "Human
Immunodeficiency Virus."

The last section on HIV contains 9 papers:  "HIV-1-Specific Immune
Responses in Asymptomatic Long-term Nonprogressing Infection,"
"Natural Altered Peptide Ligands in HIV Infection," "Molecular
Grafting of Polyvalent V3 Epitopes of HIV Envelope Protein into the
Immunoglobulin Hypervariable Regions and Induction of V3-specific
Immune Response," "Potent Neutralization of a Macrophage-tropic HIV-1
Isolate by Antibodies against the V1/V2 Domain of HIV-1 gp 120,"
"Passive Administration of the Anti-HIV-1 gp41-specific Human
Monoclonal Antibody 2F5 Delays, But Does Not Prevent, a Primary HIV-1
Isolate from Establishing an Infection in Chimpanzees," "Long-Lasting
Systemic and Mucosal Humoral Immune Responses against the HIV-1
gp41-specific Epitope ELDKWA Induced Chimeric Influenza Virus," "A
Plant Virus-HIV-1 Chimera Stimulates Antibody that Neutralizes
HIV-1," "Expanded Diversity of Compounds of Medicinal Interest by
Chemical Transformation of Natural Products:  Potential for AIDS
Prophylaxis and Effect on Proliferative Responses of Lymphocytes,"
and "Plasma Factors in Human Blood Alter the Entry Properties of
HIV-1:  Implications for gp 120-based Vaccine Approaches."

A recommended book for all researchers who are working  with
infectious diseases.  A must book for all medical libraries.

666.  HIV Infection:  A Clinical Approach, second edition edited by
Mary M. Fanning.  1997.  W.B. Saunders Co., Curtis Center,
Independence Square W., Philadelphia, PA 19106-3399.  360p.,
bibliog., index.  ISBN 0-7216-2792-7.  $27.50.  (Descriptors:  HIV
Infections, Handbooks) (Contributors:  Ian Barton, Ahmed Bayoumi,
Philip Berger, Charles K.N. Chan, Brian Cornelson, Dale Dotten,
Dianna Drascic, Mary Fanning, Joyce Fenuta, Benjamin K. Fisher,
Michelle Foisy, Richard Fralick, Dafna Gladman, Mark H. Halman, Helen
Harrison, Gavril Hercz, Mary Anne Huggins, Gabor Kandel, George J.
Kasupski, Susan M. King, Ronald MacDonald, Carol J. Major, Maggie
Jane Marchand, Krystyna Ostrowska, R. Scott Rowand, Jane Sanders,
Carol Sawka, Susan Shurtleff, Dalla Slonim, Peter Thompson , Alice
Tseng, Ken Uffen, Georgina Veldhorst, Sharon Walmsley, Peter A.
Williams, Tong Yeung)

The purpose of this handbook, first published in 1994, is to provide
simple and practical guidelines for the evaluation and treatments of
HIV infection and its complications.  It is intended for any care
giver who is treating HIV positive individuals.  After a brief
introduction to HIV there are 10 chapters that treat various topics
in more detail:  "An Approach to Patients with HIV," "HIV Primary
Care Evaluation and Management," "Women and HIV," "Heroin, Crack
Cocaine, and HIV Infection," "Pediatric HIV," "The Role of Nursing in
HIV/AIDS Care," "System- and Problem-Oriented Evaluation,"
"Psychiatric and Psychosocial Issues," "Palliative Care and Pain
Management," and "The Organization and Integration of Services for
Individuals with HIV."

The information is given in easy to follow brief prose with numerous
charts to outline various therapies and other information.  Of
particular note is that this guide can be understood by the
layperson, thus making it an excellent source of information for the
HIV patient who may not understand what is happening or why he or she
is taking this drug or that drug.  A word of caution, however, if an
individual tends to panic when they become ill and imagines all
manners of complications because of HIV, this may not be the best
book to read.  It does not tell you what is common and uncommon but,
rather, it gives the facts about all of the complications.  It is
pocket size so that the caregiver can keep it handy in a jacket.

There are 4 very useful appendices:  "Adverse Effects of HIV Drugs:
Incidence and Management," "Drug Desensitization Protocols,"
"Drug--Drug Interactions," and "Drug--Food Interactions."  This is a
recommended book for all health care providers.  It would be a very
useful reference source for any medical library.

667.  AIDS and the Body Politic:  Biomedicine and Sexual Difference,
by Catherine Waldby.  1996.  Routledge, 29 West 35th St., New York,
NY 10001.  169p., bibliog., index.  ISBN 0-415-14129-X,
0-415-14130-3pbk.  $65.00, $18.95pbk.  (Descriptors:  Biomedicine,
Immunology, Epidemiology, Social Aspects)

This interesting book discusses the biomedical philosophy that the
heterosexual male is the norm when looking at disease with women and
gay men being the individuals who are open to the disease and the
individuals who transmit disease on to other individuals, including
the heterosexual male.  Waldby points out that fighting AIDS is not
about fighting the disease but rather the carriers of the disease.
There was, in the beginning of the AIDS crisis, much education aimed
at gays, then at drug addicts, then at minorities, and now at women.
There is still no concerted effort to focus the education on the
virile straight male who is the one who is just as at risk as the
other individuals are.  Once the virile straight male becomes HIV
positive, he is placed into another category.  This book discusses
all of these conflicts that are going on between the social aspects
of AIDS and the medical aspects.  "The stakes in the AIDS epidemic
are high, involving issues of sexual identity and practice, of
illness and mortality, and for these reasons the struggles over
management of the disease expose interests that might otherwise
remain implicit and tacit."

The six chapters cover:  "Introduction:  Total War," "The Biomedical
Imagination and the Anatomical Body:  AIDS and the Nature/Culture
Distinction," "The Primal Scene of Immunology," "Epidemiology and the
Body Politic," "Technologies of the Body Politic:  The HIV Antibody
Test," and "Conclusion:  Sexual Identity and Contamination."  This is
not a book that you can quickly read and understand what the author
is trying to tell you.  It has to be read slowly, rereading and
analyzing what the author has said.  Once the reader has understood
what is being said, it will be evident that gay men have taken a bad
rap in this epidemic and that bad rap is quickly spreading to the
female.  A recommended book for all academic libraries.

668.  Prisons and AIDS:  A Public Health Challenge, by Ronald L.
Braithwaite, Theodore M. Hammett, Robert M. Mayberry.  1996.
Jossey-Bass Inc., 350 Sansome St., San Francisco, CA 94104.  247p.,
bibliog., index. (Jossey-Bass Health Series)  ISBN 0-7879-0308-6.
$33.95.  (Descriptors:  Prisoners, Health and Hygiene)

Treating prisoners with AIDS and educating prisoners about AIDS are
two extremely difficult things to bring about without recognizing
that prisoners do have sex while in prison and when they are released
will continue to have an active sexual life.  Although prison
authorities will deny that they do not condone sex in prisons and the
sharing of needles, it does happen, and with dire consequences.  In
1994 the CDC reported that there were 5,279 prisoners with AIDS, 5.2
cases per every 1,000 inmates.  Compare that against the rest of the
American population eighteen years old and older and you find that
the rate is 0.9 cases per 1,000.  It is evident that prisoners need
to be targeted with AIDS education since they are at high risk in
prison and will become high risk partners when they are released.
"This book is intended to meet the need for a readily accessible
resource on selected topics pertinent to engaging social offenders in
the design and execution of HIV/AIDS education and prevention
programs."  It, also, places special emphasis on ethnic minorities.
This is a book for individuals who are involved in public health,
health education, epidemiology, psychology, criminology, sociology,
public administration, medical sociology, anthropology, criminal
justice, correctional rehabilitation, community health, nursing,
allied health, human service, social policy, and social welfare.

The 10 chapters cover:  "Inmates, HIV, and AIDS," "AIDS and Ethnic
Minority Inmates," "An Analysis of Current Educational and Prevention
Efforts," "Prevention and Juvenile Offenders," "Policy Response to a
Public Health Opportunity," "A Report from the Frontline:  Four Case
Studies," "Prison Personnel," "Legal and Legislative Issues,"
"Worldwide Policies and Practices," and "The Public Health
Challenge."  There is a great deal of useful information in this book
that should be understood by all of those in criminal justice and
correctional rehabilitation.  There are many barriers to the
education of prisoners, especially when it comes to talking about
safer sex.  Although the use of condoms is one way to have safer sex,
prison officials are reluctant to distribute them because that would
mean they sanction prisoners having sex with each other.  It sounds
familiar to what the religious leaders say about condoms and sex.

At the end of the book is a fairly comprehensive list of education
and prevention resources and an extensive bibliography.  A
recommended book for all medical and academic libraries as well as
state correctional institutions.

669.  Clinical Guide to AIDS and HIV, edited by Gary P. Wormser.
1996.  Lippincott-Raven Publishers, 227 E. Washington Square,
Philadelphia, PA 19106-3780.  432p., illus., bibliog., index.  ISBN
0-7817-0304-2.  $79.00.  (Descriptors:  Handbooks, Overview, Social
Aspects, Medical Aspects) (Contributors:  Donald I. Abrams, Kathryn
Anastos, John G. Bartlett, William Breitbart, Richard E. Chaisson,
Risa Denenberg, D. Peter Drotman, Emily J. Erbelding, Joel E.
Gallant, Parkash S. Gill, Samuel Grubman, Harold W. Horowitz, Barbara
S. Koppel, Donald P. Dotler, Alexandra M. Levine, Arlene J.
Lowenstein, William J. Martone, James Oleske, Robert T. Schooley,
Laurie Solomon, Richard L. Sowell, Troy Spicer, Jerome I. Tokars,
Anil Tulpele, John W. Ward, Gary P. Wormser)

"The purpose of this book is to assist the health care practitioner
in providing the necessary primary care for HIV-infected patients.
This care involves science, art, and a tremendous amount of
compassion."  To this end, the book does any excellent job.  It is
well written and organized with the information presented for quick
consultation.  There are many guides available by many different
individuals.  That is good, because there needs to be a constant flow
of information to the health care provider.  Each book presents
something new and reviews what has gone before.

The 14 chapters cover:  "The Epidemiology of HIV and AIDS," "Care of
the Adult Patient with HIV Infection," "Clinical Management of
HIV-Infected Women," "HIV Infection in Infants, Children, and
Adolescents," "Pulmonary Complications in HIV Infection," "Neurologic
Complications of AIDS and HIV Infection," "The Gastrointestinal and
Hepatobiliary Systems in HIV Infection," "Neoplast Complications of
HIV Infection," "Infection Control Considerations in HIV Infection,"
"Antiretroviral Chemotherapy," "Pharmacology of Drugs Used in the
Care of HIV-Infected Patients," "Pharmacotherapy of Pain in AIDS,"
"Alternative Therapies," and "Nursing Perspectives in the Care of
Patients with HIV Infection."  Each chapter  discusses the topic and
ends with a summary and references.  The chapter on the pharmacology
of drugs that are used is fairly complete as of the time that the
book went to press.  Obviously, many of the newer protease inhibitors
are not included but it does give an excellent overview of all of the
drugs that are listed.

This is one of the better guides for health care providers.  It is
recommended along with any newer drug books that describe the newer
therapies, especially the cocktail therapies.  Recommended for all
medical libraries.  It could serve as a reference source for public
and academic libraries.

670.  No Germs Allowed!:  How to Avoid Infectious Diseases at Home
and on the Road, by Winkler G. Weinberg.  1996.  Rutgers University
Press, PO Box 5062, New Brunswick, NJ 08903-5062. 285p., bibliog.,
index.  ISBN 0-8135-2280-3, 0-8135-2281-1pbk.  $49.00, $16.95pbk.
(Descriptors:  Travel and Health Aspects, Communicable Disease,
Prevention)

We are constantly exposed to infectious diseases--at home, at work,
on the way to work, and on vacation.  We cannot expect to escape all
of them, but we can make it difficult to become infected if some
common sense is applied to what we do.  Probably the most serious
infections are acquired while on vacation, because our guard is down.
We tend to take more risks and do not realize that even a change in
water will make us more susceptible to becoming infected.  Weinberg
has put together an interesting book with some good advice that will
help you stay healthy while on vacation.  That does not mean you will
never get sick on vacation if you read this book, but it will make
you more conscious of what you should and should not do.

The first chapter covers infections that you encounter in every day
living--common cold, strep throat, urinary tract infections, and
infections of the skin.  The second chapter covers those infections
that you can get from the environment--lyme disease and other
tickborne infections, food poisoning, health hazards of travel,
pneumonia, and Legionnaires' disease.  In the third chapter are
infections you get from others--tuberculosis, sexually transmitted
diseases, hepatitis, and HIV/AIDS.  Finally, in the last chapter,
advice is given to those persons with unique risks--special persons
and special situations, how to avoid infections if you have HIV, if
you are pregnant, and in the hospital.

Some good safer sex advice is given in the chapters for STDs and HIV
infection.  Condoms are high on the list for those individuals who
engage in sexual intercourse without knowing who their partner is or
has been with.  This is a no nonsense book full of excellent advice.
It is highly recommended for anyone--male or female; gay or straight.
Heeding the advice that is given in this book may help you get
through a vacation without incident.  A recommended book for all
libraries.

671.  AIDS, Drugs and Prevention:  Perspectives on Individual and
Community Action, edited by Tim Rhodes, Richard Hartnoll.  1996.
Routledge, 29 West 35th St., New York, NY 10001.  240p., bibliog.,
index.  ISBN 0-415-10203-0, 0-415-10204-9pbk.  $65.00, $18.95pbk.
(Descriptors:  Drugs, Prevention, Social Aspects, Community Action)
(Contributors:  Marina Barnard, Robert Broadhead, Richard Curtis, Don
C. Des Jarlais, Martin C. Donoghoe, Samuel R. Friedman, Jean-Paul C.
Grund, Graham Hart, Richard Hartnoll, Douglas D. Heckathorn, Dagmar
Hedrich, Sheila Henderson, Benny Jose, Stephen Koester, Neil
McKeganey, Alan Neaigus, Cindy Patton, Robert Power, Alan Quirk, Tim
Rhodes, Bruce Stepherson, L. Synn Stern, Gerry V. Stimson, Meryl
Sufian, John K. Watters, Wayne Wiebel)

This book provides an good overview of the research, theory and
practice of developing community-based HIV prevention.  It draws upon
research that has been conducted with drug users, sex workers, and
gay men.  The emphasis of the book is on community action, shifting
from the individualistic notions of health and illness.  The 14
chapters cover:  "Individual and community action in HIV prevention,"
"Health promotion and the facilitation of individual change:  the
case of syringe distribution and exchange," "Americans and syringe
exchange," "AIDS prevention and drug policy," "E types and dance
divas," "Gay community oriented approaches to safer sex,"
"Prostitution and peer education," "Save sex/save lives:  evolving
modes of activism," "The process of drug injection," "Promoting risk
management among drug injectors," "Heroin, risk and sexual safety,"
"Ethnographic contributions to AIDS intervention strategies,"
"Peer-driven outreach to combat HIV among IDUs," and "Collective
organisation of injecting:  drug users and the struggle against
AIDS."

This is a good overview of the problems that researchers,
communities, and politicians face in dealing with drugs and AIDS.  It
is a well documented fact that clean needles help to spread the HIV
virus.  Unfortunately there is opposition to giving drug users clean
needles because it looks as if that is an encouragement to continue
using drugs.  Thus, it becomes a serious political and ethical
problem with continued spread of the virus if this simple action of
clean needles is not accepted.  An excellent book for researchers and
a recommended book for medical and academic libraries.

672.  Like People in History, by Felice Picano.  1995.
Viking/Penguin Group, 375 Hudson St., New York, NY 10014.  512p.
ISBN 0-670-86047-6.  $23.95.  (Descriptors:  Gay History)

Picano provides the reader with a gay American epic novel that is
filled with tragedy, comedy, sex, and romance.  It will make you
laugh at time and then tears will come to your eyes.  It is a story
of two boys who met at age nine, went their own ways, and crossed
each other's path, with each discovering his own gay identity.  They
both become friends with someone who they both love.  It covers life
in the gay world from Fire Island to San Francisco to Viet Nam,
ending with Greenwich Village and the Upper East Side during the
present-day AIDS war.  "Never before has there been a gay novel of
such size, scope, and vision--a joy to those who lived through those
times, and a revelation to those who didn't."  A highly recommended
book for all gays and for those who have a difficult time
understanding the lives of gays.  It should be in all public and
academic libraries.

673.  HIV/AIDS Overview, 4th edition edited by Joan Schulman.  1995.
Health Studies Institute, PO Box 163200, Miami, FL 33116-3200.  75p.,
bibliog., index.  $20.00.  (Descriptors:  History, Legal Aspects,
Transmission, Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention and Control)
(Contributors:  Johanna Albrecht, Cynthia G. Carmichael)

This is a self-instruction course which provides all of the basic
information about HIV and AIDS.  It is intended for anyone.  All
though the information is brief, it contains a great amount of facts
about the virus, presented in such a way that anyone using the guide
would be able to remember what was presented.  If one finishes the
course, the following topics will have been masters:  legal rights of
HIV-infected and AIDS patients, how HIV is transmitted, the virus
which causes AIDS, effects of HIV on the immune system, symptoms,
treatment and counseling, universal sanitation, disinfection, and
methods of prevention.  A recommended book for everyone and on that
should be in all libraries.

674.  Broken Dreams:  Journal of a Life Shattered by AIDS, by Keith
A. Wall, Karen Scalf Linamen.  1995.  New Hope, PO Box 12065,
Birmingham, AL  35202-2065.  ISBN 1-56309-161-5.  $10.95.
(Descriptors:  Psychological Aspects, Moral Aspects, Religious
Aspects, Church and Social Problems, Biography)

"This is a true story based on the journals of one young man who
lived a harrowing journey from darkness to light, from loneliness to
love, from secrecy to sharing."  It is about Scott Cameron who kept a
journal from the time he was HIV positive until his death.  This book
stresses the religious aspects of life and for some it may not be the
book to read, especially if you are anti-religion.  However, it is
moving story and one that makes you stop and think.  It will
certainly give you some insight on how to cope with this virus.
Recommended for all libraries.

675.  To a Patient Named Nick:  A Different Kind of Story of a Nurse
and an AIDS Patient, by Eva Lou Altarejos-Espinosa.  1995.  Carelife
Publishing, PO Box 4196, West Hills, CA 91308-4196.  147p.  ISBN
0-9648529-0-X.  $14.95.  (Descriptors:  Caregiving)

A book for anyone who thinks that their religious beliefs prevent
them from helping those who are HIV positive.  There is far too much
hatred toward those with AIDS from the very religious right and those
who think AIDS is a damnation from God.  The "God Hates Fags"
Reverend Phelps should read this book again and again.  This is a
quick-read book about a nurse who takes care of an AIDS patient, how
she gets to know him and help him in his final days.  You will have a
tear in your eye as you read this beautifully written book.
Recommended for all libraries.