Subject: Rep. Coburn's 05/06 One-Minute Speech on the Accountability Project
From: M Petrelis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 13:02:48 EDT

[dear friends,
here's a copy of the text that rep. tom coburn, r-ok, delivered as a one
minute speech on the house floor this morning, may 6, in washington.  the
april 26 s.f. examiner about our web site was attached, but i have not
included in this email since many of you already have read the examiner story.
--mp

>One Minute Speech
>By Tom Coburn, MD
>May 6, 1998
>Member of Congress

>The AIDS Accountability Project
>
>	With the availability of powerful new drug therapies, hope now exists for
>many of those living with HIV/AIDS.  These effective treatments will enable
>many with this horrible disease to live longer, healthier and more productive
>lives.
>	Unfortunately, the cost of treating a person with HIV remains enormous.
>Costs can range anywhere from $10,000 to $40,000 a year per patient.
>	As a physician who has cared for those with HIV, I believe that it is
>unconscionable to deny life saving drugs to those living with this disease
>and applaud the commitment of this body and others in funding AIDS related
>services and programs.  Last year alone, $1.5 billion was spent on AIDS.  But
>yet many who do not have private health insurance are still unable to receive
>the care they need.  How can this be?
>	I was shocked to discover how many AIDS organizations pay their executives
>excessive salaries at the expense of those living with HIV.  At a time when
>direct services and medically necessary care is being severely curtailed,
>many AIDS charity executives have put lining their own pockets above saving
>lives.
>	For more information, I would urge my colleagues and the public to visit a
>very informative site on the Web- the Accountability Project- which is
>devoted to posting condensed IRS Form 990s from AIDS charities across the
>country.  The site is located at www.accountabilityproject.com.
>	If we are to ask the American taxpayer to increase public funding for AIDS
>programs, it is essential that lawmakers and citizens hold AIDS charities
>accountable for the money which they have been entrusted.
>	I welcome AIDS patients to contact me to discuss ways we can work together
>to guarantee money from both public and private sources is spent on keeping
>people with HIV alive and healthy rather than wasted on excessive
>compensation packages for AIDS bureaucrats.
>	I would ask unanimous consent to have an article from the April 26th San
>Francisco Examiner about the Accountability Project printed in the Record.