Subject: Advocate poll: AIDS executives paid too much? Vote NOW!
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 14:14:37 EDT

PLEASE REPOST!!    PLEASE REPOST!!    PLEASE REPOST!!

Dear friends,

The current issue of the Advocate magazine, # 763, is on newstands and has a
closeup photo of the late Pedro Zamora on the cover.  Zamora was a young gay
Hispanic from Miami who was featured on MTV's old Real World documentary
series and led a valiant fight against AIDS personally and poltically.  A
nonprofit foundation was set up in his name and it is troubled with fiscal and
ethical questions by members of its board of directors, which is the subject
of the investigative cover story.  

The issue also has a story about the AIDS Accountability Project web site,
www.accountabilityproject.com, and our concerns about high salaries at several
AIDS charities.  I was happy to learn that money management guru, who happens
to also be gay, Andrew Tobias, basically supports our views on salaries.  An
accompanying column by Dr. Mathilde Krim of AMFAR defends the compensation
level and is worth reading.  Please pick up a copy of the current issue and
read it.

The Advocate is conducting an online poll at its web site www.advocate.com
about the salaries of AIDS executives.  Please visit the magazine's site and
vote in the survey.  Of course, I think you should vote YES, the salaries are
too high at a time when many people with AIDS lack protease inhibitor drugs,
housing subsidies and other vital services, but you are free to vote however
you choose.  Just vote.

--mp