Subject: STOP AIDS SURVEYS SF GAY/BI MEN RE ANAL CONDOMS
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 20:22:27 -0500

MEDIA ADVISORY

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Steven Gibson
November 27, 1996 415.621.7177, x. 258

STOP AIDS PROJECT TO SURVEY GAY AND BISEXUAL MEN ABOUT CONTROVERSIAL SAFE SEX
DEVICE INTENDED FOR WOMEN 

Survey of the Reality Female Condom Explores New
Safe Sex Option for Gay and Bisexual Men

Tops or bottoms - how are gay and bisexual men using the Reality condom for
anal sex and what do they think of it?

These are just a few of the questions the STOP AIDS Project is trying to
answer with a new survey being distributed to gay and bisexual men who are
interested in trying the Reality condom for anal sex.

Explains Steven Gibson, the survey coordinator for the STOP AIDS Project, "We
want to hear from gay and bisexual men about what they like or don't like
about the Reality condom so that we can better respond to their safe sex
needs."

As of December 1, 1996, the STOP AIDS Project will be distributing 500 kits
containing two Reality condoms and lube as well as instructions on how to use
the condoms and a brief survey for participants to fill out.

This survey is in direct response to growing interest and discussion in the
gay and bisexual community about the use of the Reality condom currently
being marketed to women for vaginal sex.

STOP AIDS Project volunteers - who facilitate workshops or talk to men on the
streets - have heard that many gay and bisexual men are curious about this
new safe sex option.  Advocates for use of the Reality condom say they like
it because it doesn't decrease sensitivity.  But critics have say it is
awkward and noisy.  Now, the STOP AIDS Project will hear what the community
thinks about the Reality condom.

To get a Reality condom kit, stop by the STOP AIDS Project at 201 Sanchez
Street (at Market).  If you live in the East Bay, the Gay Men's Health
Collective of the Berkeley Free Clinic (2339 Durrant Avenue) is also
distributing the Reality condom kits.  Drop by on Sunday evenings between 5 -
7pm or call 510/644-0425 and ask for Scott C.

If you'd like more information about the Reality condom or other safe sex
options for gay and bisexual men, call the STOP AIDS Project at 415/621-7177.

###