Subject: New Treatments - Still Need to Be Safe? Forum 11/15/96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:09:08 -0500

MEDIA ADVISORY 
November 5, 1996 

CONTACTS:
David Boyer   415.621.7177 x255
Dan Wohlfeiler 415.621.7177 x227

********FORUM ON THE IMPACT OF PROMISING NEW AIDS DRUGS ON SAFE SEX AMONG GAY
AND BISEXUAL MEN ********

****STOP AIDS Project to bring experts and community members together for
dialogue about how hopeful new AIDS treatments may change how gay and
bisexual men think about safe sex and the future ****

SAN FRANCISCO -- In light of seemingly effective new AIDS treatments, there
has been a lot of discussion among gay and bisexual men about what these new
treatments mean. For the future. For AIDS. For safe sex. For the queer
community. 

There are rumblings among guys questioning the need to stay safe "if I can
live 15, 20 years with these new treatments" or "if I have an undetectable
amount of the virus in my body."

On Friday, November 15, STOP AIDS Project will be holding a community forum 
on this topic. 

"New treatments are changing how many of us think about our future,"  said
Dan Wohlfeiler, Education Director of the STOP AIDS Project. "But it's also
important to think about how they may affect what choices we're making
sexually. We want to make sure people get the chance to ask questions and
find out what decisions others are making with the same information."

The community forum will include presentations by a panel of health experts,
followed by an open discussion among panelists and community members. The
panel includes David Evans, Project Inform; Christopher Esposito, SF AIDS
Foundation; as well as a representative from the AIDS Health Project. 

The forum will be held on Friday, November 15, from 7:00 pm to 9:30 pm at the
MCC Church, 150 Eureka in the Castro. It is free and open to all.

This STOP AIDS Project community forum is one in a series. These forums
provide an opportunity for those concerned about HIV prevention among gay and
bisexual men to talk about controversial, but undiscussed, issues.

Those unable to attend the forum should feel free to call or stop by  STOP AID
S Project for more information, referrals or to sign up for a STOP AIDS
meeting. 

For more information, please call us at (415) 621-7177.
 
The STOP AIDS Project is a community-based HIV prevention program by and for
gay and bisexual men of all ages and colors.  The Project, established in
1984, fosters conversations among gay and bisexual men that in the end reduce
transmission of HIV. The STOP AIDS Project continues to serve as a pioneer
and model for HIV-prevention activities nationally and worldwide.
###