Subject: AIDS campaign to air TV spots in New Hampshire
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 18:12:46 -0500

New England Gay paper endorses Michael

TV spots attacking Clinton AIDS record to air in New Hampshire

Ads declare...President is A.W.O.L on AIDS

 Steve Michael, the HIV+ challenger to Bill Clinton on a number of Democratic
primary ballots, will buy airtime this week on Manchester's ABC affiliate,
WMUR, for the first in a series of television commercials attacking the
President's performance on AIDS.  The first spot will debut on February 7th.
 The sixty second ad, "Clinton AIDS Dodger", features a retired Naval officer
with AIDS, Commander Hank Carde, who served three combat tours in Vietnam.
 The ad charges that Clinton has been AWOL on AIDS, demanding action on the
promised Manhattan/Apollo style research effort to find a cure for the deadly
disease.  Under Clinton's watch has become the nation's leading killer of
Americans between the ages of 25-44.
 "We fully intend to push the limits of political advertising by showing
America exactly what this epidemic is doing" states Wayne Turner, Michael's
campaign manager and partner.  Campaign ads for federal office, Turner notes,
cannot be censored. 
 Adds Michael, "Many creative video artists will be devoting their time and
talents in the coming months to the production of a series of ads that will
finally make AIDS a presidential issue.  One artist is working on an ad that
will show an animated Bill Clinton demonstrating the proper methods of condom
use...on his nose."
 New England's regional Gay and Lesbian newspaper, IN Newsweekly, this week
endorsed Steve Michael for President.  News editor Ed Boyce writes, "Clinton
needs a kick in his complacency on AIDS issues and no one is doing a better
job of that nowadays than Steve Michael...IN Newsweekly proudly endorses
Steve Michael for President, and we whole-heartedly encourage our New
Hampshire readers to vote for his candidacy - the AIDS candidacy - in the
Democratic primary this month."
 Michael's campaign plans to air the commercials at least ten times each day
between now and the February 20 primary.