Subject: Viatical settlements jeopardiz
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 17:34:27 -0500

Congress is planning to act on a provision of the federal
budget-reconciliation bill tomorrow, December 13, 1995. This provision would
tax the sale of the life insurance of terminally ill people, including people
with AIDS, if the sale was made before 24 months from the expected death of
the insured person. Many people with AIDS and cancer need the money from
their life insurance long before their last two years of life. They shouldn't
be taxed on the money that would go to help pay for their rent, food, doctors
and medication.

Contact the chairmen of these congressional committees and encourage them to
change the provision to increase the tax-free period to 48 months or more.
Write facsimile letters and make telephone calls to them at:

The Honorable William Archer
Chairman
Ways and Means Committee
U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, D.C. 20515
(202)225-2571 Office
(202)225-4381 Facsimile

The Honorable William Roth
Chairman
Finance Committee
U.S. Senate
Washington, D.C. 20510
(202)224-2441 Office
(202)224-2805 Facsimile

The National Viatical Association has created this sample facsimile letter to
send to them:

Please do not support provisions in the Reconciliation Bill taxing the life
insurance proceeds of terminally ill people. In the House passed bill, the
terminally ill will receive tax free treatment for the proceeds of a life
settlement as a result of selling their policy only if the patient dies
within two years. The determination of terminal illness should rest only with
the physician. Please work and vote for legislation that does not restrict
the resources of the terminally ill and thereby shifting additional burdens
to the public sector. Also, please recognize that life settlements, which
fill a deserate need, have been resisted by the insurance companies and
Congress should pass no law placing this new industry under the auspices of
its competitors.