Subject: A DAY WITHOUT GRAPHICS internet event.
From: WWW Consultation <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 95 16:51:15 -0800

Dear CyberQueer Lounge Lizards,

The Lounge and The Electronic Gay Community Magazine
invite you to visit the DAY WITHOUT GRAPHICS homepage at:
http://www.cyberzine.org/html/WAD/index.html
PLEASE distribute this message far and wide.

A DAY WITHOUT GRAPHICS

Seattle, WA (EGCM) AIDS awareness will extend to the world
wide web of the Internet for World AIDS Day, December 1, when A
Day Without Graphics will take place. Participating Internet
sites will disable inline graphics, darken their text screens or
link to a special page on the web to demonstrate AIDS awareness.

The idea for A Day Without Graphics came from other World
AIDS Day activities taking place. A Day Without Art is a project
where museums remove or drape works of art and A Day Without
Light is a project where city lights are lowered for candlelight
marches. Both projects are held in cities all over the world.
Likewise, A Day Without Graphics will take place at Internet
sites worldwide.

"We want to encourage every Internet site to get involved in
AIDS awareness in a creative way," said Rex Rivers, manager of
The Land of Awes Information Services. "The potential of the
medium is enormous and a lot of people can be reached by it.
Hopefully,everyone who uses the Internet will come to understand
the worldwide AIDS pandemic a little better through this
project."

There are a number of ways that Internet web sites can
demonstrate solidarity in AIDS awareness. The first is by
re-designing their homepages for white text on a black background
with an explanation of why it was done that day. Technical
assistance will be made available for those sites who would like
to do this. The second method will be disabling graphics.
Organizers suggest linking existing inline graphics to a message
describing the Day Without Graphics project instead. The third
method suggested is to add a prominent link to the Day Without
Graphics homepage.

"We welcome additional input from the online community," said
Tom Hicks of CyberZine. "There are a lot of creative people out
on the Internet and I feel that we should all work together to
raise awareness of AIDS issues."

Those Internet web sites who will be participating in A Day
Without Graphics are requested to send electronic mail
to [email-masked] providing their homepage URL for inclusion
in the list of links. Individuals are encouraged to visit the Day
Without Graphics site at
http://www.cyberzine.org/html/WAD/wadpage.html on World AIDS Day,
December 1st.

For media information contact:
Rex Rivers
The Land of Awes
Information Services
Post Office Box 16782
Wichita, KS 67216-0782
Voice:316-269-0913 or 316-264-4646
Fax: 316-269-4208
Modem: 316-269-3172
Email: [email-masked] email
AWES http://www.fn.net/~awes/egcm.htm

Thank you very much.
Tom Hicks
[email-masked]
The CyberQueer Lounge
http://www.cyberzine.org/html/GLAIDS/glaidshomepage.html