From: Sam Damon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 01:33:27 -0500 (EST)

This is neither about AIDS (the study involved HIV- people) or lesbigays,
but I found the results so alarming and intriguing that I thought I'd upload
it here.  I read the actual study but was unable to understand most of it so
I gave it to a colleague specializing in autonomic cardiovascular systems
and he said that it made logical sense ...  Damn, I love seafood.

PS - people with healthy immune systems should take this with a grain of
salt ...  Immunocompromised people however should take heed.

=========================

HIGH FISH DIETS MAY REDUCE IMMUNE CAPACITY
(GMHC Treatment Issues, 2/94, Vol 8 #1)

Diets high in fish may negatively impact the immune system, according to a
report in The Journal of Clinical Investigation (July 1993; 92:105-113). 
Researchers from Tufts University studied the effects of high fish diets on
healthy HIV-negative individuals. In the study, 22 people were given a
standard six week diet and then randomized to either low-fat, low fish diets
or low-fat, high fish diets for 24 weeks. A full range of immune markers
were studied. Those on the high fish diet had reduced iymphoproliferative
responses, reduced delayed hypersensitivity skin tests reactions,
significantly reduced percentages of CD4 cells, and increased percentages of
CD8 cells. Individuals on the low fish diet had no significant changes in
these immune markers. Readers are advised that this is only one small study
and definitive conclusions about eating cooked fish cannot be made at this
time. There is, however, more clear support for being cautious about eating
raw fish such as sushi, because of the possibility of bacterial and
parasitic infections.  [ DAMN ... sushi is one of my favorite foods ]