Subject: HRCF Challenges Bush on AIDS $
From: Blythe Systems <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 92 12:41:48 PST

Via The NY Transfer News Service 718-448-2358, 718-448-2683

from The (Electronic) Gay Community Magazine - February 15 1992

AIDS/ARC:  On the Frontline

             HRCF CHALLENGES BUSH ON THE AIDS BUDGET

WASHINGTON, DC (EGCM) The Human Rights Campaign Fund charged
President Bush with betraying his promise of health care to people
with AIDS.  The organizations executive director, Tim McFeeley,
was sharply critical of President Bush's budget proposal which
included just over $2 billion for AIDS programs in the Public
Health Service.  While AIDS programs are targeted to receive 9.3%
of the total National Institutes of Health budget, that reflects a
decline from 9.4% of the NIH budget in 1992. 

"One day after giving lip service to the needs of America's
families in his State of the Union Address, President Bush has
betrayed the 1.5 million American families living with HIV.  The
President has offered a budget that ignores the reality of AIDS in
our country today," said McFeeley. 

"The Administration continues to run away from reality.  First
they cook the books to give the illusion that AIDS spending has
reached $4 billion, now they water down the programs that need
more funding," McFeeley charged.  He specifically challenged the
decision to hold increases in the budget for AIDS research to $43
million.  "In real terms, AIDS research is going down while the
caseload continues to climb," he stated. 

"It took the President a year to notice the recession.  How much
longer will it take before he notices AIDS?" McFeeley asked.  He
challenged the assumption that the government is spending too much
on AIDS, stating that "if we can afford to eliminate the tax on
luxury yachts, we can afford medication for people who live around
the corner in every city of our country." 

The Campaign Fund argues that every dollar spent today on fighting
AIDS will save millions of dollars later in lost productivity,
spiraling medical and insurance costs, and, "most importantly,
tens of thousands of human lives," McFeeley said. 

"We support greater spending on research into AIDS, cancer, heart
disease, and all of America's health care priorities.  Spending on
health care produces results that expand the whole world's
knowledge base and our ability to effectively combat disease,"
McFeeley stated.  "The government's failure to spend adequate
funds on education, research and treatment today will bring an
even more substantial expense down the line." 

AIDS is now the leading cause of non-accidental death among
American men between the ages of 25 and 44, surpassing heart
disease, cancer, suicide and homicide.  Among women in that age
group, AIDS is expected to rank among the five leading causes of
death this year. 

For more information contact: Gregory King; The Human Rights
Campaign Fund; 1012 14th Street NW #607; Washington, DC 20005;
Voice 202-628-4160; Fax 202-347-5323; BBS 202-639-8735. 

                               -30-

The entire contents of The Electronic Gay Community Magazine are
Copyright 1992 by The Land of Awes Computer Information System
(telephone 316-269-0913 Voice, 316-269-4208 FAX/BBS) but may be
reproduced by any means without permission from the publishers
provided that this copyright notice remains with each article.

-Tm_Write Version 1.30
-ALL the News That Doesn't Fit
-LESBIAN & GAY Newsfeed - NY Transfer News Service 718-448-2358